The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Edit My Images
No
So who is interested in the Fuji X-T1 being released tomorrow? Im thinking this will be a good step forward for Fuji but at the same time feel that the X Pro 2 is now due. Although its actually a year away still it feels weird they have no flagship body anymore as such. Im hoping the X-T1 will genuinely fix the slow autofocus problems, I worry Fuji never really seem to get there where Olympus find it easier. Regardless of that I think it looks like an interesting camera but bring on the 2.8 zooms please.

I thought the release date was mid-February.
ah yeah maybe the release is mid feb actually but the announcement is tomorrow

I hope Fuji doesnt become a throw away brand, couple things point to that happening.

1) Packaging has changed for the worse, the cheap 35mm comes with nicer packaging than the much more expensive 23mm and the 23mm has a plastic hood
2) So many models being released and running alongside each other
3) Lets see how long the FW updates keep rolling out

Seems they may be following Sonys business model.

I was also beginning to think that the X-series was becoming too fractured, but when I stopped and looked at it I realised it's not as bad as I first thought..

X-Pro1
X-T1
X-E1, X-E2
X-M1
X-A1

Continued availability of the -E1 upsets the logic of the range more than introducing the -T1.

I was also beginning to think that the X-series was becoming too fractured, but when I stopped and looked at it I realised it's not as bad as I first thought..

X-Pro1
X-T1
X-E1, X-E2
X-M1
X-A1

Continued availability of the -E1 upsets the logic of the range more than introducing the -T1.

good point. yes the lineup makes sense when you look at it like that. THe only fault now is that the top model is the oldest.

If there was mid-life refresh with an X-Pro1, taking the newer sensor and processors from the -E2 but essentially keeping the rest the same, and calling it the X-Pro1S (perhaps make it available in a silver option - yes, I'm that cynical about the market) and I think that would be enough to hold the -Pro series in the flagship position for another twelve months.

Something about the rumoured specs and the hints dropped by the X-photographers that have admitted being part of the pre-production testing has me thinking that the -T1 will add something to the range without directly threatening either the -E2 or the -Pro1.

My own small prediction is that some of the -T1 features (around improved auto-focus) will have resulted in decreased battery life, and the X-series wasn't starting out with stunning battery life from the outset. Hence the prominent leaking of images showing the grip attached, and the dedicated contacts for the grip on the base. I therefore predict the -T1 will be as much the studio camera in the line-up as the weather-proof camera, and that matches some of the X-photographer blog hints. That would also explain the delay in weather-proof lenses, and if my guess is correct I would image we'll see enhanced tethering options with the -T1, which may of course manage to trickle down via firmware options to other models.

I think it being brought out to take on the Olympus EM,their was a rumor at one time of Fuji using Olympus sensor on a new camera,so in many ways i glad their stuck to their sensor,and may bring a few more photographers who don't like the ranger finder style :)

I think it being brought out to take on the Olympus EM,their was a rumor at one time of Fuji using Olympus sensor on a new camera,so in many ways i glad their stuck to their sensor,and may bring a few more photographers who don't like the ranger finder style :)

+1, I also like the files from the X trans sensor. Between AF or IQ Id rather have the IQ.

An X pro 1s only needs to have really fast AF to be a good upgrade. Id switch if they did just that. Regarding battery life on the new model i expect it to be a lot bettter as the built in hand grip has space for a new battery, so assume they will bring out a new battery but maybe not.

Apart from "weather sealing" and a new dial, what is the X-T1 supposed to bring us?

I'm a fan of the range and it looks pretty sexy. But I'm confused why I would buy one instead of say an X-Pro 1 or X-E1 (and I'm currently confused why I would buy an X-Pro 1 over and X-E1 - and I have both).

Not knocking it - just puzzled how they plan to differentiate the range.

apparently the focus is much faster and the viewfinder is much larger and smoother in operation. Jonathan are you using fuji for weddings?

Fujis idea of much faster AF is normal peoples fraction of an improvement.

Fujis idea of much faster AF is normal peoples fraction of an improvement.

Isnt it just! thats really a big problem and something i worry about with them. I tested out an x-e2 recently and to me its the same as the x-e1 i mean i told the fuji sales guy i cant feel any difference at all. Fuji talk alot about this organic sensor they are bringing. But honestly, if they dont totally sort out the autofocus they will struggle to get a really big following.

The autofocus has never really bothered or hindered me across the X-E1/X-M1/X-Pro1 range, it just requires a different mindset to a DSLR. In terms of my hit rate the accuracy of my Fuji bodies are miles ahead of any DSLR I've used, I took 3000 photos with my X-E1 in the US last summer, not a single out of focus shot, not having to worry about micro adjust etc is bliss.

I've not used the X-E2 yet, but the CDAF only bodies have done everything I've asked for them (http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157634005095926/), so I'm looking forward to getting hold of a dual AF body, but I'm in no rush.

I also don't think the range is that confusing, especially compared to Sony who have what is essentially 3 systems with interchangeable names, confused more by NEX adopting the Alpha name (which is also a mount, but not for what was NEX!), what's more, Fuji are more than happy to continue supporting models long after release. I'm more than happy holding on to my x-Pro1, it may be (or have been) superseded but Fuji have been pretty insistent that they will continue to support it as their flagship.

The autofocus has never really bothered or hindered me across the X-E1/X-M1/X-Pro1 range, it just requires a different mindset to a DSLR. In terms of my hit rate the accuracy of my Fuji bodies are miles ahead of any DSLR I've used, I took 3000 photos with my X-E1 in the US last summer, not a single out of focus shot, not having to worry about micro adjust etc is bliss.

I've not used the X-E2 yet, but the CDAF only bodies have done everything I've asked for them (http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157634005095926/), so I'm looking forward to getting hold of a dual AF body, but I'm in no rush.

I also don't think the range is that confusing, especially compared to Sony who have what is essentially 3 systems with interchangeable names, confused more by NEX adopting the Alpha name (which is also a mount, but not for what was NEX!), what's more, Fuji are more than happy to continue supporting models long after release. I'm more than happy holding on to my x-Pro1, it may be (or have been) superseded but Fuji have been pretty insistent that they will continue to support it as their flagship.

i think because i shoot weddings i have noticed the focus being a problem, i think they are fine for most other things actually.

Apart from "weather sealing" and a new dial, what is the X-T1 supposed to bring us?

I'm a fan of the range and it looks pretty sexy. But I'm confused why I would buy one instead of say an X-Pro 1 or X-E1 (and I'm currently confused why I would buy an X-Pro 1 over and X-E1 - and I have both).

Not knocking it - just puzzled how they plan to differentiate the range.

Trying not to go off topic, but never having used it....actually how useful is the OVF? i'm on the hunt for a second body at some point soon and its a tossup between the XP1 and XE2 (only because of the 180x on the exp dial)

Trying not to go off topic, but never having used it....actually how useful is the OVF? i'm on the hunt for a second body at some point soon and its a tossup between the XP1 and XE2 (only because of the 180x on the exp dial)

I've been using OVF/EVF about 50/50 so far. The OVF gives you a better idea of what's around the frame and might come into it, the EVF is better for exact framing and WYSIWYG exposure. But I haven't used the -E2 for comparison.

Worth a nosey at http://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/fuji/, some good tips for AF use specific to weddings.

thanks, yes i read that before, i have the focusing worked out. its just not anywhere near dslr speed. the focus speed of the fujis is ok, just ok, but get into lower light and it really is too slow to catch moments. its not really quite good enough for pro work at all times yet imo. you will miss a lot of shots because of it. im not saying it cant be done because ive done it myself, it just makes you want the focussing of a dslr. it takes the fun out of it when it hunts.

Fake tilt/shift and in camera spot colour for only a grand. Got my pre order in :D

If I hadn't bought an A7 I'd be sorely tempted. The dual view focus thing is just what I've been saying Sony should do.

I'm thinking between the X-E2 and the X-T1.

Purely subjective ascetics - but I prefer the look of the X-E2.

The tilt LCD display is a big seller to me on the X-T1. The M had has this feature but I was frustrated that it didn't include a thread in the shutter button. The X-T1 although not including a thread does allow you to trigger the shutter remotely via USB or Wifi software.

Another nice plus over the X-E2 - the ISO dial.

The predicative AF looks quite amazing based on the fuji rumors image examples.

Johnathan - can you explain the advantages of camera spot colour for me?

PS Isn't the fake tilt/shift just a software option i.e. is also available in the X-E2?

Last edited:
I sold my a7 to come back to Fuji. XP1 deal was to good to resist and the A7 only had 1 lens I was interested in with none to follow on the roadmap.

Dude, I just looked at those images, some of which I have seen before and they are fantastic. I have the same lens 55-200 and an Xpro, any tips of shooting motorsport or other fast action using this combo?

Johnathan - can you explain the advantages of camera spot colour for me?

It saves you having to waste time on a computer creating effects that should never happen anyway ;)

Haven't seen the whole details yet (I do have some work to do) but I won't really be pre ordering. Experience says if I wait, Fuji will release a kit with X-T1, 56mm, 14mm, ride on the space shuttle and a unicorn for less than the launch price. I can wait ;)

I think they will do 2 kits, 18-55 and 18-135, prime kits will follow much later.

Back