The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

:banana::beer::banana::beer::banana::beer:

We demand the pictures!!! Hope you had a good break.........
Strewth mate, you are demanding. Not even unpacked the suitcase yet.
Knackered so unlikely to start looking at anything before tomorrow.
Got home to find that next door but one has blocked our road off and we have to ask his permission to get past - we live in a cul-de-sac. 30 tonnes of sand, enough bricks to rebuild the Berlin Wall and 6 Transits. "They will be gone in a week!" Neighbours are all spitting feathers here. Good job I was away or I might have moved the bricks for him!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464359477.079670.jpg

Quick picture of the line up for my trip to California, plenty of photos to follow, picked up an X-T1 from the refurb store in time for the trip so very excited to use that!
For reference that is an 18-135mm next to the GW690II, the big old relative that is coming along for the trip!

Adam

View attachment 65429

Quick picture of the line up for my trip to California, plenty of photos to follow, picked up an X-T1 from the refurb store in time for the trip so very excited to use that!
For reference that is an 18-135mm next to the GW690II, the big old relative that is coming along for the trip!

Adam

Nice collection.

Things you a missing though....
  • battery charger
  • lens cleaning cloth
  • square filter holder, no point in taking the filters without the holder!!!
  • polariser??
Enjoy the trip.......

A watched battery doesn't charge....

Took delivery today and now waiting impatiently for the battery to charge.

View attachment 65429

Adam
Yikes ! and I thought I packed light :rolleyes:

Was about the XC Kit lens 16-50mm to start with?
Really quite good IQ and very light, will balance well on XT10 no doubt.
Oh and its cheap...

A much underrated lens - largely due to the excellence of the 18-55....

But I actually prefer it to the 18-55 - for me the extra 2 mm at the wide end and the light weight of it is more important than the f2.8 of the 18-55. Even better the OIS ii focuses down to 15cm :)

Barcelona.
A lovely place.
Great atmosphere and warm.
Even went to the Nou Camp. Now that really is awesome.
Cool. Looking forward to your shots. I'm going to spending a fair bit of time in Barcelona this coming year, as our "baby" is doing an internship there for 13 months. First trip end of June to sort her out with a place to live. Back again in October.

Spot on. It would be like using a slightly shorter Fuji 60mm, but with swirly bokeh :)
I've still not seen this swirly bokeh with my own shots. By all accounts there's a sweet spot for the background distance to produce it....I've just not found it yet! :)

I've still not seen this swirly bokeh with my own shots. By all accounts there's a sweet spot for the background distance to produce it....I've just not found it yet! :)

Busy backgrounds like leaves 10-15m behind the subject should do it.

Cool. Looking forward to your shots. I'm going to spending a fair bit of time in Barcelona this coming year, as our "baby" is doing an internship there for 13 months. First trip end of June to sort her out with a place to live. Back again in October.
Tis a bit different from Belfast!
Just one word of caution. If you fancy doing the tripper things...Balto, Pedrera, Sagrada, Parc Guell et al book in advance. Timed entry. You might not be allowed in if you just turn up with Euros in your sweaty mit.
Nou Camp is no problem but everywhere you turn they force you into a queue to have your picture taken. Green screen stuff so you can have a pic shaking hands with Louis, Lionel or Neymar. "No obligation to buy" but you still have to stand in the queue.

Ian, which version is yours? 44m-2? The one I just picked up is the 44m-4. I paid through the nose for a "mint" example and probably shouldn't have but my OCD always wants cosmetically perfect as well as optically if possible. I kind of wanted one with MC but couldn't find one in the right shape and figured this single coated version would do me fine. Apparently you ca focus quite close with this lens. Not sure I'd call it "macro" but some do.

Last edited:
Just one word of caution. If you fancy doing the tripper things...Balto, Pedrera, Sagrada, Parc Guell et al book in advance. Timed entry. You might not be allowed in if you just turn up with Euros in your sweaty mit.
Nou Camp is no problem but everywhere you turn they force you into a queue to have your picture taken. Green screen stuff so you can have a pic shaking hands with Louis, Lionel or Neymar. "No obligation to buy" but you still have to stand in the queue.

LOL! I can think of nothing worse than being pictured with Louis, Lionel or Neymar. TBH, they'd probably refuse as I'd make them look even uglier. :D

We've been in Barca twice so we've done balto, pedrera, sagrada and guell, didn't do nou camp as we aren't footie fans. I'd like to do sagrada again with a better camera than I had last trip with a fast lens. I doubt we'll have much time for sightseeing until we get no 3 progeny a place to live, but if we do I really want to see montjuic, tibidabo and get a wee run on the cable car. Oh yeah and maybe catch a few rays in Barceloneta :)

We jibbed at the cable car to Montjuic. The castle is being "refurbished" after Franco used it as an execution block. Plus the cable cars cost an arm and a leg. There is the car across the harbour. That could be good.
Never had time for Tibidado.

Spot on. It would be like using a slightly shorter Fuji 60mm, but with swirly bokeh :)

So exactly what is the attraction with vintage glass - this is a genuine question from someone who wants to know:)

I assume vintage lenses are no better for sharpness than modern multicoated glass and if those lenses were so good, why are they not being produced today? Is it a cheap way of getting different focal length lenses? Or is it like the difference between vinyl and CDs?

Yeah, tell me as I could be interested

Ian, which version is yours? 44m-2? The one I just picked up is the 44m-4. I paid through the nose for a "mint" example and probably shouldn't have but my OCD always wants cosmetically perfect as well as optically if possible. I kind of wanted one with MC but couldn't find one in the right shape and figured this single coated version would do me fine. Apparently you ca focus quite close with this lens. Not sure I'd call it "macro" but some do.
Haha I know what you mean. Mine looks excellent cosmetically but I wouldn't call it mint. There was one such lens on ebay with case etc also and I'm sure it was up for £38, recently sold.

Mine is a "44m" without any model number / designation to follow it and seems fairly common. I've an old nick on pouch I'm using for it and whilst it came without a rear cap, I'm just switching the one from my 18-55mm to and fro as the Helios has the adaptor fixed to it anyway.

Be interested to see yours as I've developed a bit of a thing in a very short space of time for these vintage lenses. I just think they're awesome.

The cable car might cost an arm and a leg, but I'll be the only fare paying passenger as the female contingent have said, and I quote "not on your nelly !"

Or is it like the difference between vinyl and CDs?

Pretty much this for me. They (some anyway) produce unique effects essentially due to them not being excellent, but actually being quite poor. Their flaws as a lens are what produce their character.

The build quality for me is a big factor. I mean, mine is a 1979 lens (older than I am) and it's in great condition (better than me lol).

It's a heavy piece of metal and glass and proper old school engineering.

The cable car might cost an arm and a leg, but I'll be the only fare paying passenger as the female contingent have said, and I quote "not on your nelly !"
Ah yes. I recognise that conversation.

If you get the chance look out for the water/light display in Placa Del Marque's De La Foronda. It is only switched on at special times but just looking at the hardware in place is it going to be out of this world.
It's the long, long avenue in front of PNAC heading towards Play D'Espanya.

So exactly what is the attraction with vintage glass - this is a genuine question from someone who wants to know:)

I assume vintage lenses are no better for sharpness than modern multicoated glass and if those lenses were so good, why are they not being produced today? Is it a cheap way of getting different focal length lenses? Or is it like the difference between vinyl and CDs?

For me it's going back to my first foray into photography. My first camera was the Zorki 4, then a Zenit B, I've dug out the Zorki from the attic and have ordered an M39 to Xf adapter to use the Jupiter 8 50mm, I'm already using a Helios 44 I found in my dads house after he passed away. It's a really nice lens, great bokeh. Probably not the last word in sharpness compared to todays standards. I'm looking forward to trying the Jupiter 8 on my X pro 2, it is after all a full frame lens as is the Helios. The build quality is amazing, solid brass, smooth focus and aperture that would put todays lenses (including fuji) to shame.Plus the cost, next to nothing. Looking at the Jupiter 8. I can see where Fuji got the inspiration for the new 35mm F2 lens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74628687@N07/26682607394/in/photostream/

While i'm here - anyone else got one of the eBay grips on an x-t10? Are they all as bad a fit as mine or have I just picked a dud? Don't want to order another of the same...

View attachment 65397

Based on my own experience with the grip he designed for the X-T1, for your X-T10 I would recommend the grip designed by 'Robert' who is the administrator for the original Fujix Forum. I used the large Fujifilm grip from day one with my X-T1, which increased the weight quite a bit, when he first produced his X-T1 grip I took a chance and ordered one. It is lightweight and in my opinion far superior to the Fuji version; it permanently stays on my X-T1 except when I use the Fuji battery grip for portrait photography.

Take a look at Amazon.com: Metro Case. The X_T10 grips are $89 + postage, which I think is good value for money, as my father used to say "You cannot buy a Rolls Royce at Ford prices."

I have no connection with Robert except that of being a very satisfied customer.

Haha I know what you mean. Mine looks excellent cosmetically but I wouldn't call it mint. There was one such lens on ebay with case etc also and I'm sure it was up for £38, recently sold.

Mine is a "44m" without any model number / designation to follow it and seems fairly common. I've an old nick on pouch I'm using for it and whilst it came without a rear cap, I'm just switching the one from my 18-55mm to and fro as the Helios has the adaptor fixed to it anyway.

Be interested to see yours as I've developed a bit of a thing in a very short space of time for these vintage lenses. I just think they're awesome.

LOL! Have you got a quick shot of the front of your lens?

He did used to post lots of long exposure night time stuff of architectural stuff. Think it was Valencia.

Think it must be the day of the Helios today Duncan I ordered one this morning. Good news it's been posted 1st class and should be here tommorow. Bad news the adapter I ordered from Amazon is expected 28th June!!!

For me, it's about experimenting with classic lenses to see what they are capable of...some are really quite old! However, occasionally a real gem of a prime will be uncovered - and for very little outlay :) For example, a Pentacon preset 135/2.8 can be had for about £40.00 and will give you a nice fast, long prime with beautiful creamy bokeh :)

Back