The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Another from my recent wanderings, but not 100% sure about it - wanted to capture the juxtaposition between architecture of the old Cathedral and the new Shard, any thoughts from the room?

v2

Another from my recent wanderings, but not 100% sure about it - wanted to capture the juxtaposition between architecture of the old Cathedral and the new Shard, any thoughts from the room?

v2
If I’m honest, there’s too much going on. I would try cropping out the lamppost for a start. :)

v2

I quite like the way the spires mirrors the Shard but find the mix of old and new a bit jarring here - think it worked better on your other shot looking towards Tower Bridge.

Last edited:

v2

Well composed but the differing colour casts do not look natural.

v2
It's interesting but the overall effect is so surreal that most people will probably assume you made a collage in PS, which rather negates the point :)

Also, the lamp post is a bit close to the edge for my liking, although I appreciate you're probably cropping out something even more distracting.

If I’m honest, there’s too much going on. I would try cropping out the lamppost for a start. :)

I quite like the way the spires mirrors the Shard but find the mix of old and new a bit jarring here - think it worked better on your other shot looking towards Tower Bridge.

Well composed but the differing colour casts do not look natural.

It's interesting but the overall effect is so surreal that most people will probably assume you made a collage in PS, which rather negates the point :)

Also, the lamp post is a bit close to the edge for my liking, although I appreciate you're probably cropping out something even more distracting.

Thank you gents, much appreciated.

I'm sure the image is there somewhere - I struggled to get quite the right framing I think as I was having to duck and dive between parked cars, will revisit with a wider lens and hopefully less traffic around and have a play a bit more.

*ETA - Looking back through the memory card from the day there's a couple of portrait orientation shots that I had discarded maybe in haste - will have a play with those as the composition is more straightforward.

Last edited:
Interesting. Can you access the battery door as well whilst attached?

As it’s the one-piece version (the two-piece I wanted not being available), it stopped just short of the battery door on the bottom, so full access just as normal.

As it’s the one-piece version (the two-piece I wanted not being available), it stopped just short of the battery door on the bottom, so full access just as normal.
Excellent. I'd also looked at the 3LT bracket but there's no access to switch batteries and I wasn't sure about the ability to use a remote release either.

Looks like I may go for this one also.

Cheers

Ian

These Fuji promotions are a bit frustrating. Wish I’d read the small print first. Battery grip and cash back can only be claimed 30 days after purchase. I guess that’s to make sure people aren’t just buying them returning them. Long wait for my grip :(

Anyway mustn’t grumble. Loving the x-t2. Not 100% comfortable with it yet (6 years of nikon) but thoroughly enjoying it.

These Fuji promotions are a bit frustrating. Wish I’d read the small print first. Battery grip and cash back can only be claimed 30 days after purchase. I guess that’s to make sure people aren’t just buying them returning them. Long wait for my grip :(

Anyway mustn’t grumble. Loving the x-t2. Not 100% comfortable with it yet (6 years of nikon) but thoroughly enjoying it.
Surprising it's the same for the grip when others are handing it out with the camera. The cash back has always been 30 days and I'm fine with that. Just need a reminder to claim it [emoji28]

Surprising it's the same for the grip when others are handing it out with the camera. The cash back has always been 30 days and I'm fine with that. Just need a reminder to claim it [emoji28]

Reminder well and truly set! I’ll survive. Had been on the fence about the grip to start with so not having one for a few weeks is no big deal.

OK, not too many technical things get me scratching my head, but this puzzle is at the moment!!

I had a client on a recent workshop shooting 9 shot bracketed exposures with an X-T2 and 10-24 (tripod mounted), he believes that he had IS switched off.

On some of the image sequences, some of the images are at a different focal length - as reported by Lightroom - this stops them being merged by Lightroom. I have checked the images and they are indeed different, image edges move slightly, so I think the LR is reporting correctly. (He has sent me two sequences, on the first the first image is at 13.2mm and the rest at 12.6mm, on the second sequence all images are at 16.6mm and the 2nd/4th/6th images at 17.4mm). The average exposure duration was quite long - 14 seconds on first sequence and 3.5 seconds on second sequence)

I normally use primes (no-IS). Could IS being inadvertently on potentially cause this issue, or is there some other kind of equipment issue. If IS is not at fault, then I would suggest that the lens is sent to Fuji to be checked out.

Any ideas?

After talking about this I did a five bracket exposure with the 16-55 in Oxford Friday night and LR is reporting 4 of the focal lengths at 21.6 and one at 22.2.
First time I've noticed that with the 16-55, haven't had time to look into it further yet but I will do asap.

I'm having a real dilemma with the latest Fuji cashback. I was set on buying a 18-135mm to have as my walk around and hired one for the festive period. Went out to granddaughters birthday tea last night and realised how useful my 35mm f2 would have been in a confined low lit area.

Then I read about the wonders of the 23mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 arghhh. I have my 56mm for portrait hobbiest fun.But do like to capture the grandchildren spontaneously when visiting and the F2 35mm did that quite well. My dilemma apart from cost is i like fast autofocus and shall DOF.

I'll still get the 18-135 but what second given these great savings!

I'm having a real dilemma with the latest Fuji cashback. I was set on buying a 18-135mm to have as my walk around and hired one for the festive period. Went out to granddaughters birthday tea last night and realised how useful my 35mm f2 would have been in a confined low lit area.

Then I read about the wonders of the 23mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 arghhh. I have my 56mm for portrait hobbiest fun.But do like to capture the grandchildren spontaneously when visiting and the F2 35mm did that quite well. My dilemma apart from cost is i like fast autofocus and shall DOF.

The F2 lenses have faster AF than the F1.4 lenses

Yes, David I have read that and that the F2 is a lot quieter when focusing.

I have read a bit about the differences between the 2 35mm's but I am still (for some reason) leaning towards the 1.4

Didn't realise there is a double cash back on at the moment - that said , the 1.4 is still a tenner cheaper on the refurb site..

Certainly for indoor and confined spaces, I’d prefer a 35mm equivalent rather than a 50.

The 23mm pairs really nicely with a 56mm. Classic combo.

My 1.4 is a bit noisy and isn’t as fast focusing as my Nikon stuff, but still fine for events coverage etc.

Yes, David I have read that and that the F2 is a lot quieter when focusing.

I'd also question the 18-135, if you need the focal length range, WR and the OIS (which is very good on this lens) the great go for it, but....
  • Its physically quite big
  • Isn't Fuji's sharpest moment (though this may bot matter to you)
  • Isn't good for low light with moving targets (ie children)
I've owned bot the 18-135 and the 18-55, and apart from focal length range the 18-55 IMHO is lot better.

Last edited:
I'd also question the 18-135, if you need the focal length range, WR and the OIS (which is very good on this lens) the great go for it, but....
  • Its physically quite big
  • Isn't Fuji's sharpest moment (though this may bot matter to you)
  • Isn't good for low light with moving targets (ie children)
I've owned bot the 18-135 and the 18-55, and apart from focal length range the 18-55 IMHO is lot better.
Yes, im pleased i hired it. I still want it as a walk around but this double cashback is a good marketing draw. Problem is a like sharp lenses!

I sooner carry the 35mm 1.4 and the 55-200mm for when I need the reach.

Shame neither are WR and even with a booster grip the 1.4 isn't quite fast enough for my 2 year old. May switch it for the F2.

I just want to wish everyone here a very Merry Crimbo & Happy New year! I've got home for Xmas and greatly appreciate all your support over the many months, my stem cell transplant date is for the end of January I've just found out recently, that's my Xmas present.......over the moon.

Love to all;
Peter

I just want to wish everyone here a very Merry Crimbo & Happy New year! I've got home for Xmas and greatly appreciate all your support over the many months, my stem cell transplant date is for the end of January I've just found out recently, that's my Xmas present.......over the moon.

Love to all;
Peter
Good luck with it. All the best!

Love to all;
Peter
Fantastic news, Peter.

Glad to hear your good news and the fact you're home for Christmas. A nice surprise no doubt!

Love to all;
Peter

Peter, wishing you all the best for Christmas and 2018, David

Love to all;
Peter

Great news Pete, Happy Christmas [emoji106]

Yes, im pleased i hired it. I still want it as a walk around but this double cashback is a good marketing draw. Problem is a like sharp lenses!

Don't buy lenses just because they are on double cash back, buy them because you want/need them. The 18-135 is probably the softest Fuji zoom, and it's certainly softer than any of the primes. It's all down to what's important for you.

We are all guilty of buying stuff we don't really use!!

Love to all;
Peter

Hard to beat that as a present, Happy Christmas Peter

Don't buy lenses just because they are on double cash back, buy them because you want/need them. The 18-135 is probably the softest Fuji zoom, and it's certainly softer than any of the primes. It's all down to what's important for you.

I want the Laowa 9mm. Do I need it? Dunno, but I want it.

Love to all;
Peter

Good to hear Peter and a very happy Christmas to you and all on this forum :)

So true! I bought this lens thinking a super-zoom would come in handy. In fact, the other half of my brain (yes, I have one. I’ve seen the scan to prove it!) couldn’t accept that a super-zoom could be any good, irrespective of the results. In actual fact the images were OK, but I just couldn’t get on with it.

Grab a used x100 series camera - you'll get a 23/2 and a free camera! :D

The 18/2 is also useful for indoors stuff, particularly in small spaces.

I owned the 18-135mm for about two weeks before shifting it on - there were too many dis-benefits for me, personally.

Back