The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Some kaizen on the way folks, if rumours are to be believed possibly a new film simulation as part of a major firmware update for XT-3, XT-30 & GFX100

Reactions: DpM
I woke to find a perfect spider's web in my garden. Not often I am up early enough to find one in such good condition, just a shame there was no dew. Fuji XT-2 and 90mm from far enough away I could be sure I could get back to the house and lock the door should the spider have made a lunge for me.

Web I by Ian, on Flickr

Stunning shot, and I like the angle you chose.

I woke to find a perfect spider's web in my garden. Not often I am up early enough to find one in such good condition, just a shame there was no dew. Fuji XT-2 and 90mm from far enough away I could be sure I could get back to the house and lock the door should the spider have made a lunge for me.

Web I by Ian, on Flickr
What a great shape, too. Nice one mate (y)

Well, the XH-1 has arrived, I had a quick play indoors last night while trying to hide if from the wife :) I think I now have the settings as I want, and am going to be able to try some shooting this weekend. First impressions are, I like the feel of it, but it does feel huge compared to the XT-3, not a criticism, just an observation. The shutter is taking a bit to get used to, but I will. It looks and feels more robust than the XT-3 though time will tell how I get on with it when shooting. I tried some shots with the 56 1.2 and the IBIS is certainly working well. I'm please I bought it, and will certainly be using this as well as the XT-3 a lot. I am also going to try some video shooting, which is something I have always steered away from, and used GoPro in the past.

Watch this space for evidence of cack-handed efforts at pictures!

It's a tidy size I think, about right :) enjoy

Went to Bournemouth today as the Mrs wanted to visit a shop there. Had to get down to the beach on such a lovely day, and had to get the ball out!!

T3 with the 35 f1.4, and my ball of course....

Ball @ Bournemouth by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Nothing beats getting your balls out on the beach...not speaking from experience obviously....

Web I by Ian, on Flickr

If only I could find some like that, although my Mrs has spiders living in the door mirrors of the car.... Every day she cleans them off and the next morning they're back :LOL:

That's rendered very nicely......

Web I by Ian, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph, the angle that you have taken the shot works very well.

George.

Many thanks for that, I really don’t want this to turn into an Apple Vs Windows debate as I know there is a specific thread for this sort of thing.

I’m extremely interested to know what software for handling Fuji RAW files works better on, ie an Apple or Windows unit. As I said I’m quite happy using Affinity for my PP work apart from the fact that the RAW converter in that software is not as good as I would like. I also convert all my Fuji RAW files to DNG as it suits me better (don’t ask why) for one reason or another but affinity will not open them correctly on my iPad Pro. The developers of Affinity say for them to open correctly on an iPad the Fuji RAW files must be in their native format and uncompressed. I’m wondering if this is the same as they would be on a Mac/Mac Book. They all open correctly on my Windows unit. This is why I’m interested in knowing if software such as C1 will eliminate this problem on either platform ie Apple or Windows.

George.

Mac user for 12 years - use LR on my macbook (2013) and works fine, can process RAWs from XT3 no probs.

would never go back to Windows

I got fed up with payining Microsoft Tax on PC's so migrated to Linux and have never looked back.No software problems no worries about viruses. Oh it has been bliss!

Web I by Ian, on Flickr
Love that Ian, superb

Fringer Pro II arrived today. Only had a chance to try it late this evening in the fading light.
Tested with Canon 70-300L and 85 f/1.8 on the X-T2.
It's not a patch on the native lenses, but it seems to work 'okay'ish.
I need to try it in better light, with other lenses and on the X-T3

Oh, and I need to check the firmware version...

Edit...
FW was 1.10, upgraded to 1.30 and tested with 24-70 f/2.8 indoors in low light.
Seems better, though obviously not a proper test using the same lenses.

Last edited:
Fringer Pro II arrived today. Only had a chance to try it late this evening in the fading light.
Tested with Canon 70-300L and 85 f/1.8 on the X-T2.
It's not a patch on the native lenses, but it seems to work 'okay'ish.
I need to try it in better light, with other lenses and on the X-T3

Oh, and I need to check the firmware version...

Edit...
FW was 1.10, upgraded to 1.30 and tested with 24-70 f/2.8 indoors in low light.
Seems better, though obviously not a proper test using the same lenses.

I had the mk1 fringer and the 85 1.8 and found it worked really well. on the X-H1.

In what light? I was getting hunting and refusal to focus until I manually focused somewhere close.
But the light wasn't good, and I was on the 1.10 firmware.
Will look again over the weekend.

In any light tbh, I don't tend to shoot much where there's little light to begin with. but I found the 85mm pretty competent - I didn't have it for long bu couldn't really complain. I also used it as a macro lens with a Raynox 250 attached - it's the perfect candidate for it. In those cases I manual focused though, and it worked out well. But I don't remember having any real issues with the AF for general purpose. In fact the only thing I disliked about using the 85 1.8 was the purple fringing it suffers at wider apertures. And there's nothing an adapter can do about that.

Last edited:
Hi all. I used to have a xe2 but sold it all after getting into radio control car racing. Now after a few years I've missed having a camera and would like to try and photo the cars at the big meetings. Would a xt1/xt10 be able to track the cars with the 50-200 lens.

Hi all. I used to have a xe2 but sold it all after getting into radio control car racing. Now after a few years I've missed having a camera and would like to try and photo the cars at the big meetings. Would a xt1/xt10 be able to track the cars with the 50-200 lens.

Not as well as an X-T2 + 55-200, if you can up the budget a little you'll have a much better solution.

My preference would be X-T2 +55-200 (probably around £200-250 more than you existing pairing), then as a lower price option I would go X-T2 + 50-230 (similar money), the 50-230 isn't as fast as the 55-200, doesn't let in quite as much light, but has good IQ, and a little bit more reach, its also very light so makes the whole assembly more wieldy!! You can then always upgrade to 55-200 when funds permit.

Nearly lost my hotshoe cover this morning. Must have come off while changing lenses but luckily fell in my bag rather than in the mud. It’s a bit of a loose fit so now has a bit of electrical tape bodged on it.

I thought I’d go on Amazon and get a spare, just in case, and I’ve found you can get some nice, wooden ones and a matching shutter button to go with it. As if these cameras need to look any cuter... :cool::p

Nearly lost my hotshoe cover this morning. Must have come off while changing lenses but luckily fell in my bag rather than in the mud. It’s a bit of a loose fit so now has a bit of electrical tape bodged on it.

I thought I’d go on Amazon and get a spare, just in case, and I’ve found you can get some nice, wooden ones and a matching shutter button to go with it. As if these cameras need to look any cuter... :cool::p

i have never used a hot shoe cover. why are they needed?

i have never used a hot shoe cover. why are they needed?
They aren't neeeded, but they make things look tidy. They do make the hotshoe less catchy if that makes sense as it fills the gaps in, so it is less likely to catch on your clothes.

I didn't get one with my Fuji X-E3 or nikon D810. (yet my dad had one with his D800) Only my mamiya medium format cameras have them as they came with them.

Hot shoe covers do seem a bit pointless but, If you've ever seen a bent hot shoe after a fall or knock then you'd see the sense to them.

I will add this in here just in case any others are using the XT-3 for video, any help would be appreciated. :)

I have just tried shooting some video for a project I am doing at work, the problem was it was a bright day and I had to use a small aperture to stick with my 60th SS. It would appear that at anything smaller than F9.0 the focus hunts in and out constantly, and this get worse the smaller it gets. Is this a known issue, or something I am doing wrong. I have ordered an ND filter to help keep my aperture larger, but I wasn't aware of this limitation.

I will add this in here just in case any others are using the XT-3 for video, any help would be appreciated. :)

I have just tried shooting some video for a project I am doing at work, the problem was it was a bright day and I had to use a small aperture to stick with my 60th SS. It would appear that at anything smaller than F9.0 the focus hunts in and out constantly, and this get worse the smaller it gets. Is this a known issue, or something I am doing wrong. I have ordered an ND filter to help keep my aperture larger, but I wasn't aware of this limitation.
AF doesn't tend to work on any camera with any reliability beyond f8. This is probably why most video cameras have built in ND filters that can be switched. (0x, 2x and 4x) It might be down to diffraction and depth of field characteristics at those smaller apertures.

AF doesn't tend to work on any camera with any reliability beyond f8. This is probably why most video cameras have built in ND filters that can be switched. (0x, 2x and 4x) It might be down to diffraction and depth of field characteristics at those smaller apertures.
Ehh what???

Ehh what???
I'm yet to find a camera that can autofocus in video mode with any degree of reliability once the aperture is stopped down past f8. (which is because it's around that point that phase detection AF is no longer reliable) Contrast detection is very reliable in terms of achieving good focus for stills but it tends to do as rick was pointing out and hunts a lot which is of little use when shooting video.

I'm yet to find a camera that can autofocus in video mode with any degree of reliability once the aperture is stopped down past f8. (which is because it's around that point that phase detection AF is no longer reliable) Contrast detection is very reliable in terms of achieving good focus for stills but it tends to do as rick was pointing out and hunts a lot which is of little use when shooting video.
When I got home I tried the same settings on my XH1 and it worked perfectly. I did some more research and it seems the 3.0 firmware update initiated this problem, and 3.01 hasn’t fixed it or mentioned the issue.

Back