The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi all, this is my first post on this thread as I am not (yet) a Fuji user, but I'm looking to switch to Fuji from my m4/3 gear. I'll be buying used, and trading in my current set up, plus adding as much cash I can muster via my birthday next month!!!

I'm mostly a landscape guy, with a little bit of wildlife thrown in, so need to cover the focal ranges.

My current thinking is a used X-T3 or X-T30 as budget allows. The main benefit of the X-T3 for me is the weather sealing. It's lenses where I'm a bit more confused (my current M43 set up being 12-40, 35-100(recently deceased!) and 75-300).
For wildlife I'd love the 100-400 but even at used prices that may have to wait. At the wider end what's good bang for the buck? The 18-55 seems to get rave reviews as a terrific kit lens, but then I've seen bad reviews also? Or how does the 18-135 stack up? as that would more or less cover what my combination of 12-40 and 35-100 does in the m4/3 world for landscapes. Or are they both just stepping stones and I'd immediately be wanting the higher end lenses?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Hi all, this is my first post on this thread as I am not (yet) a Fuji user, but I'm looking to switch to Fuji from my m4/3 gear. I'll be buying used, and trading in my current set up, plus adding as much cash I can muster via my birthday next month!!!

I'm mostly a landscape guy, with a little bit of wildlife thrown in, so need to cover the focal ranges.

My current thinking is a used X-T3 or X-T30 as budget allows. The main benefit of the X-T3 for me is the weather sealing. It's lenses where I'm a bit more confused (my current M43 set up being 12-40, 35-100(recently deceased!) and 75-300).
For wildlife I'd love the 100-400 but even at used prices that may have to wait. At the wider end what's good bang for the buck? The 18-55 seems to get rave reviews as a terrific kit lens, but then I've seen bad reviews also? Or how does the 18-135 stack up? as that would more or less cover what my combination of 12-40 and 35-100 does in the m4/3 world for landscapes. Or are they both just stepping stones and I'd immediately be wanting the higher end lenses?

Thanks
Chris

At the wide end the 10-24 is a really nice lens and much cheaper than the new 8-16mm... there's also a lot of really nice wide primes, the Manual Focus Samyang 12mm is lovely and very cheap, the Fuji 14mm f2.8 is relatively cheap used and if you want the best the 16mm f1.4 is just incredible!

The 18-55 is a great lens; its always been highly rated and is a cut about other "kit lenses" - its not as good as say the 16-55 but then its much cheaper and a heck of a lot smaller!

Not every lens is weather sealed; only lens with WR in their title - I don't think that includes the 18-55 if I'm honest.

I'm not sure on the 18-135 so I'll let someone else come back on that one; there's also the new 16-80 f4 which covers a good range too but again I've not seen too much on that one myself yet.

My current thinking is a used X-T3 or X-T30 as budget allows. The main benefit of the XT-3 for me is the weather sealing. It's lenses where I'm a bit more confused (my current M43 set up being 12-40, 35-100(recently deceased!) and 75-300).

Thanks
Chris

I have the 18-55 and it is indeed a cracking lens. While the 18- 138 has a wider coverage it has to compromise slightly on quality, and maximum aperture.
I have never actually met anyone with a bad copy of the 18-55, though I too have seen some on line comments to that effect. However I have no way of knowing if these were poor lenses or poor users. as in " a poor workman blame his tools" Though I suspect you could find a poor example of even the finest lens. and it is certainly up there with one of the best general purpose standard zooms with anti shake. It seems to be an ideal combination with both my XE2 and XT30.

Like all the best modern lenses any minimal residual Distortions/ aberrations etc are removed in firmwear. These would only be detectable if images were shot and then processed in a raw processor that did not support the Fuji lens profiles.

you will see numerous first class images shot with this lens on this forum.

However for ultimate quality and wider apertures and waterproofing, the16-50 has even higher image quality but with the Disadvantage of no IS, anti shake, and is both far larger and heavier.
Disadvantages that are a step too far for me for such little gain.

I would seriously consider purchasing on the Fuji refurbished site. all items are covered by the same guarantee and as new but a heavily discounted price.
I have bought most of my Fuji cameras and lenses from them. But popular models like the XT30 are often out of stock and you have to keep checking back.

(It seems most of their stock is distance selling returns that can not be sold as new, but all are fully checked for even minor faults)

Last edited:
The x70 hood is excellent on the x100v. There's a filter fitted and it doesn't interfere with the lens.
The original metal cap fits too:banana:

Good spot @patr

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_103410.jpg
    IMG_20200629_103410.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200629_103351.jpg
    IMG_20200629_103351.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 21

Thanks
Chris

I know you said you’d be buying used but Fuji frequently have some pretty decent discounts. One finished last week for the XT3 and 16-80 kit. It brought it down to pretty much the same as s/h prices. I’m sure that a similar deal will be along soon. You can save money buying Fuji gear if you are happy to wait for the offers.

I‘ve got the 16-55 and the 16-80 lenses. The 16-80 is by far the most convenient - OIS, weather sealed and a great walk around zoom. It’s pretty light as well and balances really nicely with my XT3. It’s almost the perfect kit lens. Almost. Problem is the IQ is not totally ‘there’. The 16-55 wipes the floor with it but the 16-55 is heavier and has no OIS and therefore not so easy to use handheld.

I‘ll mention the XH1 as an option for the camera itself. I didn’t get on with mine when I had it. Just hated the shape, size and handling of it. I returned mine to WEX and got the XT3 instead. However, I’m in a minority of one. Loads of people here love the XH1 and it’s a steal at current prices. Try before you buy though.

I bought an X-T4 last week but am still yet to take delivery of any of the lenses I've ordered to go with it. This is the very definition of frustration. It's sat there charged up ready to go!

I should get my 18mm f/2 in the post tomorrow. I know this is a marmite lens and I know it won't win any MTF battles but I've always really loved the look of images from this and the size is fantastic for family trips out.

Obviously haven't got much to say about the X-T4 yet other than it looks nice! Does feel quite a bit bigger and heavier than my previous X-T2. Not in a bad way, just an observation. I guess if I'd got to this via the X-T3 I probably wouldn't notice the incremental differences. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

I bought an X-T4 last week but am still yet to take delivery of any of the lenses I've ordered to go with it. This is the very definition of frustration. It's sat there charged up ready to go!

I should get my 18mm f/2 in the post tomorrow. I know this is a marmite lens and I know it won't win any MTF battles but I've always really loved the look of images from this and the size is fantastic for family trips out.

Obviously haven't got much to say about the X-T4 yet other than it looks nice! Does feel quite a bit bigger and heavier than my previous X-T2. Not in a bad way, just an observation. I guess if I'd got to this via the X-T3 I probably wouldn't notice the incremental differences. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Congratulations, still getting to grips with mine. Just the kit 16-80 and 23 f1.4 so far.
Opted for the dual charger as well.

The x70 hood is excellent on the x100v. There's a filter fitted and it doesn't interfere with the lens.
The original metal cap fits too:banana:

Good spot @patr

Damn it! I am trying to resist buying a whole load of stuff to go with my V. I've only purchased an Op/Tech wrist strap and the shoulder sling bag, and have snubbed the red button thing that goes on the shutter release - but have the X70 lens hood and the WCL-X70 wide angle lens in my basket on the Fuji shop :(

Damn it! I am trying to resist buying a whole load of stuff to go with my V. I've only purchased an Op/Tech wrist strap and the shoulder sling bag, and have snubbed the red button thing that goes on the shutter release - but have the X70 lens hood and the WCL-X70 wide angle lens in my basket on the Fuji shop :(
DO IT!

hood is nice, protects the lens and you can add a filter to weather seal your precious :love:

Congratulations, still getting to grips with mine. Just the kit 16-80 and 23 f1.4 so far.
Opted for the dual charger as well.

I have a 23mm 1.4 on the way actually. Really like that lens and FoV.

Not done anything about a charger yet. I'll see how I get on with the single battery. Suspect I'll get another battery and charger when more third party stuff hits the shelves.

I know you said you’d be buying used but Fuji frequently have some pretty decent discounts. One finished last week for the XT3 and 16-80 kit. It brought it down to pretty much the same as s/h prices. I’m sure that a similar deal will be along soon. You can save money buying Fuji gear if you are happy to wait for the offers.

I‘ve got the 16-55 and the 16-80 lenses. The 16-80 is by far the most convenient - OIS, weather sealed and a great walk around zoom. It’s pretty light as well and balances really nicely with my XT3. It’s almost the perfect kit lens. Almost. Problem is the IQ is not totally ‘there’. The 16-55 wipes the floor with it but the 16-55 is heavier and has no OIS and therefore not so easy to use handheld.

I‘ll mention the XH1 as an option for the camera itself. I didn’t get on with mine when I had it. Just hated the shape, size and handling of it. I returned mine to WEX and got the XT3 instead. However, I’m in a minority of one. Loads of people here love the XH1 and it’s a steal at current prices. Try before you buy though.

Thanks, is the sensor in the XH1 comparable to the X-T3/30? Everything else being equal I'll add it to the possibles. I quite like the look of it, I invariably add a grip to cameras that don't have a decent sized only anyway. Unless there are other drawbacks?

Last edited:
Colour for a change
A bit of a struggle to get the look i wanted with processing.
Wanted to keep it muted to reflect the dull and low contrast conditions.

No 1393.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph, and works really well for me.

"I too don't normally bother shooting in this kind of flat light, maybe I should also give it go some time"

George.

Thanks, is the sensor in the XH1 comparable to the X-T3/30? Everything else being equal I'll add it to the possibles. I quite like the look of it, I invariably add a grip to cameras that don't have a decent sized only anyway. Unless there are other drawbacks?
The sensor isn't the same, but I actually find that I prefer the X-H1 / X-Pro 2 sensor. Don't ask me why... I would definitely have the H1 in your list, and unless you need the fastest AF then I'd suggest it is at least as good as the T3 in pretty much every other area for stills.

Thanks
Chris

It's hard to beat the 12-40 2.8 you have atm, I owned that lens when I shot M43 and it is a true little gem. When I switched back to Fuji I got the 16-55 and I honestly found the Oly 12-40 a much nicer lens to use, love the close focusing and magnification - it does both better than most mid range zooms. Now I haven't used the 18-55, but general concensus is that the 16-55 is the better lens. It is pretty hefty compared to your 12-40 though. But ... the 18-55 can be had for pretty cheap, have seen them go for 220/230 in excellent condition and if you're mostly doing landscape then you're stopping it down mostly anyway.

The 50-140 2.8 Fuji is the obvious comparable to your 35-100

Different sensor but there's nothing in it really, tonnes of comparisons were done by reviewers when the T3 first landed - Vs the X-T2/X-H1 [same sensor] and results were surprising. The older sensor actually performs slightly better at higher ISO levels, where the newer models excel is on the AF side. There are other improvements but from what I gather mostly on the video side.

The H1 is what I use and it's one of the most comfortable camera bodies I've used, I really like it. I always did like a chunky grip though, and I got used to having IBIS when shooting M43, so that was a must for me, the T4 wasn't even announced back then but I'd still buy the H1 over it today because you can get them for a steal nowadays. Put the money into lenses instead

Different sensor but there's nothing in it really, tonnes of comparisons were done by reviewers when the T3 first landed - Vs the X-T2/X-H1 [same sensor] and results were surprising. The older sensor actually performs slightly better at higher ISO levels, where the newer models excel is on the AF side. There are other improvements but from what I gather mostly on the video side.

The H1 is what I use and it's one of the most comfortable camera bodies I've used, I really like it. I always did like a chunky grip though, and I got used to having IBIS when shooting M43, so that was a must for me, the T4 wasn't even announced back then but I'd still buy the H1 over it today because you can get them for a steal nowadays. Put the money into lenses instead

@popcorn When it was refurbed X-H1 v new X-T3 a couple of months ago, the X-H1 was a bargain, now the X-T3 ahs dropped in price the difference is less so. That said I would plump for X-H1 everytime - unless you have to hipster silver - The X-H1 is a very complete camera and the extra weight/bulk is barely noticeable when in the hand.

@Cagey75 is right about teh Olympus 12-40 PRO lens, it is quite a special lens. The Fujifilm opposition is not as rounded as that one lens, if teh want constant F2.8 amd WR then the XF16-55F2.8 - though this will mean more tripod time if you plump for the X-T3 as it has no stabilisation. If you need WR but ultimate image quality is not as important then the XF16-80 and XG18-135 are reasonable options, but both are bettered in IQ by the 18-55 which punches well above its weight as a so called 'kit lens' but it has no WR.

If zooms are your weapon of choice then the 10-24 is very handy, but if you want one the best lenses available (in any manufacturers range) then the XF16mm F.14 makes a great wide angle option, and has WR, it also has good close focus ability and stellar IQ

Thanks
Chris

For landscape you have 2 decent options. The 10-24 f4, or the 16 f1.4. I've had both, really regret letting the 16mm go as it was so versatile. I still have the 10-24 and it is a very good lens, most of my landscape stuff is done on that or the 50-140 f2.8.

As for wildlife, you really do need the 100-400 with the 1.4TC. It's not cheap but it's effective.

If you're a Facebook user, most of us here are on this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FujiXUK/

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have a couple of weeks before I'm in a position to act, but all being well I'll be joining the merry band of Fuji users here.
It's not that there's anything wrong with my Olympus kit, I do love it, it's built like a tank, has great weather sealing and Ibis plus the 12-40 is superb. It's just that since I haven't yet replaced the 35 - 100 that I smashed, I have a gap that needs filling and wanted something better at the long end than the 75-300. That likely meant a 40-150 pro and a 2x teleconverter which even at used prices is over a grand. That's money I'm not willing to put into a system with an uncertain future. Of the brand's I'd consider switching to Fuji stands out a mile to me, just beautiful looking kit and the images within this thread prove their ability. I'm looking forward to a new adventure

Hi all. Just a quick question, does anyone here have any real world experience of how the 16-80 zoom compares image quality wise to the 18-55 kit lens? I’ve already got the 18-55 and am quite happy with it but fancy something with a bit more reach and more importantly weather resistant. Back in my canon days the 15-85 EF-S was my everyday walk around so the 16-80 is the obvious Fuji equivalent.
Thanks in advance. James :)

Great pic mate. Great use of the shadows.

Thanks, Jason (y)
The light was changing faster than fast, so got lucky with this. Few seconds later, and it was gone ;)

So as a long time Canon user I am slowly including large format film (4x5) but my Canon year was all zoom lenses and heavy for wild camping trips. Over the last year I have looked at various systems and now settled with Fuji. Sold all Canon gear to MPB, fantastic and fair and now have an XT4, 80mm macro, 56 - 1.2, 35 - 1.4, 23 - 1.4 and 16 - 1.4I. Had it for about a month now and really enjoying it.and this busy sub forum, no doubt there are a few more purchases to be made and you all seem super helpful at spending others money

A couple of shots to show you, 16mm for the barn and 80mm for the dragon fly

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jg4L8b

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jbHjmL

It's hard to beat the 12-40 2.8 you have atm, I owned that lens when I shot M43 and it is a true little gem. When I switched back to Fuji I got the 16-55 and I honestly found the Oly 12-40 a much nicer lens to use, love the close focusing and magnification - it does both better than most mid range zooms. Now I haven't used the 18-55, but general concensus is that the 16-55 is the better lens. It is pretty hefty compared to your 12-40 though. But ... the 18-55 can be had for pretty cheap, have seen them go for 220/230 in excellent condition and if you're mostly doing landscape then you're stopping it down mostly anyway.

The 50-140 2.8 Fuji is the obvious comparable to your 35-100

I really enjoyed using the 12-40 on the Oly bodies I had (E-M5 Mk2 and E-M1) as it really was a superb lens. Along with the 75mm 1.8 (y)

XT4 new firmware update today. Think the 16-80 also has one.

The firmware update Ver.1.02 from Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:

Improvement of IBIS function during a movie shooting.
The phenomenon is fixed that images, which were erased from an SD card with SIMULTANEOUS DELETE ON, are played back.
The phenomenon is fixed that overexposure can happen in a certain shooting condition.
The phenomenon is fixed that a camera doesn’t wake up by pressing the shutter button after auto power off worked.
Fix of minor bugs

So as a long time Canon user I am slowly including large format film (4x5) but my Canon year was all zoom lenses and heavy for wild camping trips. Over the last year I have looked at various systems and now settled with Fuji. Sold all Canon gear to MPB, fantastic and fair and now have an XT4, 80mm macro, 56 - 1.2, 35 - 1.4, 23 - 1.4 and 16 - 1.4I. Had it for about a month now and really enjoying it.and this busy sub forum, no doubt there are a few more purchases to be made and you all seem super helpful at spending others money

A couple of shots to show you, 16mm for the barn and 80mm for the dragon fly

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jg4L8b

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jbHjmL

That barn isn't far from me, I'm still waiting for the crops to ripen a bit, they were still green on Sunday.

Back