The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Had my first proper trip out with the camera this year, last Friday.

Despite the weather and having to buy an umbrella as soon as I arrived in Keswick, I'm quite happy with some of the photos I left the Lake District with, here is Buttermere St James church.

I also visited Ambleside, Rydal Hall, Ashness Jetty and Honister in one day.

Buttermere by Adam P, on Flickr

Probably my favourite place in the UK, Buttermere/Haystacks is truly awesome.

I‘ve never seen that road so quiet. Normally there’s cars dumped here, there and everywhere. :p

Haha thanks ;) The one advantage, is that phones are flat, and seem to put out a nice white light. A friend has a little godox cube led thing, and that really puts a purple tint on everything :eek:
I will need to try this out sometime

I will need to try this out sometime

Thinking about it. Maybe a little peice of something translucent, would diffuse it nicely :) Might have to hunt down something I can cut up, and keep in the camera bag.

I use an app on my phone called white screen flashlight which is good gives you a bigger light source by using the screen and you can adjust the brightness too.

Ahh cheers for that. I`ll give it a whirl (y)

I use an app on my phone called white screen flashlight which is good gives you a bigger light source by using the screen and you can adjust the brightness too.

That sounds interesting Stuart, thanks for the heads up I'll see if I can give it a go.

George.

I’ve decided to pre-order an XS-10 but can’t decide which lens to order with it ?

I was going to get the body only but then realised that the 15-45 only adds £50 to the price ! Even if I didn’t like it I could presumably sell it to a shop for £50 ?

The 18-55 costs an extra £350 so I would probably pick one up second hand from here if any were available.

Anyone used the 15-45 ? The wide angle is very appealing....

and C1 is designed around the concept of being able to customise almost every aspect of the workflow.

And the Adobe solution isn't?

That statement alone shows how "blinkered" people can be on one piece of software.

I like C1, it's output is good, but until you can blend images to make an HDR landscape (not an overdone HDR image) or use it to stitch frames together to form a pano, it will always be behind Adobe for my workflow. Also, I see nothing wrong with the images that come out of Adobe either, so I can't see the point of fixing something that isn't broken.

Like I said, it's a good bit of software and there is no problem with the output, but until it offers greater functionality it can never replace Lightroom & Photoshop.

Thinking about it. Maybe a little peice of something translucent, would diffuse it nicely :) Might have to hunt down something I can cut up, and keep in the camera bag.

Years ago I cut the bottom off of a plastic milk bottle and used it in front of my flash. I had to turn the flash exposure compensation up a stop to get it right, but it was quite effective.....

Chucked the 'old clunker' in the bag on Sunday morning as a ride along to the M10, predominately to take a few black and white photos.... ended up shooting RAW/JPG and when converting the RAW's with Velvia, remembered just why I still love my old X-Pro1 and why I will never sell it!

X_Pro1_DSCF7952
by Dave Young, on Flickr

X_Pro1_DSCF7951
by Dave Young, on Flickr

X_Pro1_DSCF7932
by Dave Young, on Flickr

And the Adobe solution isn't?

That statement alone shows how "blinkered" people can be on one piece of software.

There is no "one piece of software" blinkers behind my comment.

I'm a very happy user of Adobe CC, but It's primarily the C1 customisable workflow that keeps me using C1 alongside LR and PS, hence me mentioning it, but this customisability can also make C1 appear more confusing than LR as there is no clear workflow in C1 (until you create it) compared to LR.

The Adobe "package", as I have said on here before, especially if you include the free web site, is much more "versatile", "powerful" and better value for money than C1, but its not "more customisable". And, I can't see how anyone who has used LR and C1 can consider LR equally customisable as C1.

And C1 doesn't pretend to be a replacement for PS, hence the official and unofficial C1 tutorials regularly pointing out when PS or Affinity Photo would be a better choice of software for particular tasks, even when you can "get away" with doing them in C1.

I’ve decided to pre-order an XS-10 but can’t decide which lens to order with it ?

I was going to get the body only but then realised that the 15-45 only adds £50 to the price ! Even if I didn’t like it I could presumably sell it to a shop for £50 ?

The 18-55 costs an extra £350 so I would probably pick one up second hand from here if any were available.

I’ve used it. Produces perfectly fine pictures.

I have one.

I bought it for it's close focus compared to the rest of my lenses, as I had some miniature, close up timelapse/stop motion to do and it was a dirt cheap option. I've kept it so far because of the wide angle and the fact that it's tiny and weighs almost nothing, so it's great around the city in a hoody pocket. Yes it feels a bit cheap I guess, but optically I have no complaints. It's versatile and practical.

Its a great little lens and as has been said, weighs nothing. Optically it is excellent.

The only negative is the plastic lens mount but for the money it is a cracking lens. I have bought three with various body/kit deals and sold two to Camera Jungle who picked them up FOC and gave me £83.75 each so a small profit of £33.75 on each lens.

As you say, if you dont like it sell it. I liked it enough to keep one.

There is no "one piece of software" blinkers behind my comment.

I'm a very happy user of Adobe CC, but It's primarily the C1 customisable workflow that keeps me using C1 alongside LR and PS, hence me mentioning it, but this customisability can also make C1 appear more confusing than LR as there is no clear workflow in C1 (until you create it) compared to LR.

The Adobe "package", as I have said on here before, especially if you include the free web site, is much more "versatile", "powerful" and better value for money than C1, but its not "more customisable". And, I can't see how anyone who has used LR and C1 can consider LR equally customisable as C1.

And C1 doesn't pretend to be a replacement for PS, hence the official and unofficial C1 tutorials regularly pointing out when PS or Affinity Photo would be a better choice of software for particular tasks, even when you can "get away" with doing them in C1.

You still can't blend or stitch, so it's lacking as a digital darkroom, in my opinion, obviously.

You still can't blend or stitch, so it's lacking as a digital darkroom, in my opinion, obviously.
I'm not sure how this is relevant to the question of customisation capabilities of LR vs C1.

However, from my last post I obviously agree that C1 isn't (and doesn't try to be) a complete solution, even though it may be sufficient for many users.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the question of customisation capabilities of LR vs C1.

It isn't, the point is that it's not as "feature rich" as Lightroom. But, Lightroom has been out there a long time and has time to mature. I still see C1 as one of the new kids on the block. If you're paying for your Adobe subscription (and need it to get PS) why pay for another product that's inferior to the one you get with Adobe?

It's all personal opinion, but you can customise just about anything in LR.

It isn't, the point is that it's not as "feature rich" as Lightroom. But, Lightroom has been out there a long time and has time to mature. I still see C1 as one of the new kids on the block. If you're paying for your Adobe subscription (and need it to get PS) why pay for another product that's inferior to the one you get with Adobe?

It's all personal opinion, but you can customise just about anything in LR.

But this was what you quoted from my post:

"and C1 is designed around the concept of being able to customise almost every aspect of the workflow"

and this is what you said about it

"And the Adobe solution isn't?

That statement alone shows how "blinkered" people can be on one piece of software."

So it is the point because you are clearly writing about my statement on customisation, which was part of me just trying to help a new C1 user.

As I explained it’s the customisation capabilities of C1 that are one of the main reasons I prefer it over LR. Once set up I find the workflow in C1 faster and more logical than LR, and the equivalent tools in C1 tend to work better and easier in C1 than LR, except the database, which C1 should be ashamed of, but I don't use it, and many people seem to find it works fine.

As a raw processor there is no way C1 is inferior to LR, different, but not inferior, and for my purposes a better choice and worth the money. But I'm not judging C1 on features I don't see as important for a Raw Processor to have.

There are very good reasons to stick with a LR/PS workflow, but for me the benefits of C1 offset the benefits of having a LR/PS workflow. I wish they didn't as I could well do without the additional costs involved. Which is why I review this every year when it comes to upgrade time. including studying the customisation capabilities in LR, and so far I have always paid for the C1 upgrade.

I'm not sure where you get the new kid on the block idea from. C1 has been around for longer than Lightroom, indeed Raw Shooter which was set up by a break away group of Capture One engineers, was bought out by Adobe, to bring their expertise into the Lightroom development team.

It was because I was a Raw Shooter user that I got a beta of Lightroom 1, and a free full license to the first release, and I have been a LR user ever since.

Although C1 is now my main raw processor (though I am increasingly using Raw Therapee) I still use Lightroom several days a week as a DAM, and on average at least once a week for image processing, but this is often in bursts when doing a LR or LR/PS course or tutorial.

Overall, both are good programs, with both having their share of good and bad points.

Took a walk around the local woods with the pup after work. It's a pine plantation but the outer trails have lots of native deciduous trees lining them.
There's lots of tall silver birch amongst the pines, they grow like tall poles between the pines. Unfortunately there's just too much sky when you shoot them.

Still lots of green around and the forecast rain never happened, and I was expecting more colour. It was windy which made handheld fun. I'd love to shoot here in the mist or fog, to get that depth and separation. One day.............

x100v +tcl

Last edited:
Fuji now have the x100V lens caps in stock.

Great if you've lost yours but they also fit the lh-x70 lens hoods. Just ordered a couple for the x70 hoods on my x100Fs (the x100F caps wont fit, V version is fraction bigger).

Congrats George - you are doing well lately with Explores (y)

Thank you kindly Alan,, I sure do appreciate your reply.

"Bit like the buses, you wait ages for one and then they all come along together"

George.

Just a record shot for this tree. It stood out like a flashing beacon amongst the dark trees and bracken.

I'm going to go back and try to get a good shot of it. It's in a really awkward spot with lots of sky above the top canopy and nothing but sky facing it from where I stood and a massive log pile to the right. Yet again I dream of fog.

x100V+tcl in dayglo velvia. I usually avoid velvia, it's a bit bright!

Just a record shot for this tree. It stood out like a flashing beacon amongst the dark trees and bracken.

I'm going to go back and try to get a good shot of it. It's in a really awkward spot with lots of sky above the top canopy and nothing but sky facing it from where I stood and a massive log pile to the right. Yet again I dream of fog.

x100V+tcl in dayglo velvia. I usually avoid velvia, it's a bit bright!

I like the colours in the bracken too. Really nice!

I like the colours in the bracken too. Really nice!
Thanks @ff1d1l .

The bracken in front of the tree was really dark green and a really dark brown, not the normal orange autumn colours. The bracken behind if you look was the normal green colour.
It wasn't just the velvia film sim. As soon as I tuned the corner the colours really stood out.

It's right on the edge of a trail under shade with the sun facing from where I was standing. It must be the light that's doing it because this tree was coloured more than any I'd seen all day.

Most trees here are still green but the floors are covered in brown leaves. I think this year here they're all just dropping off without turning. Something else I'll miss out on this year.

Popped down the Estuary last night, intending to shoot the Network Rail renovations to the Barmouth Viaduct, but the estuary isn't the best viewpoint for that it seems. I did get some nice shots of the pools in the salt marsh though, like this one. First outing with the the 16-55 f2.8 on my X-T2. Lee 0.9 Medium grad hanging off the lens (I don't have the right step down ring for the holder yet!)
Salt Flats by Alan Jones, on Flickr
View: https://flic.kr/p/2jY1P2t

Last edited:
Another from yesterdays walk around the edge of pine plantation. If only the trees in woodland were all like these and not boring straight things.
You can tell a difference in the amount of wildlife in these trees too, full of birds compared to the pines.

Very nice Autumnal Fujigraph David, love the curved colourful lead in with the fallen leaves.

George.

Hello lovely Fuji-ers.

I have a question/quandary..

I use the Fuji XT30 for commercial food photography. I have real difficulty transferring images from camera to my IPhone. I need to do this on set and not at home on the Mac.

The camera really struggles to find the phone.. majority of the time it can’t find it.

Is this a known Fuji issue? Should I consider moving to a different brand? ‍♂️

Back