The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Fuji batteries are cheaper on Amazon. I asked for the price of an NP W126S in the Fujifilm House of Photography in London and was quoted £72. I looked on Amazon and found this one for £45.
I recently bought two from Park Cameras for £49 each, after a couple of bad experiences I no longer buy such items from Amazon.

Personally, I would be wary of mixing third-party batteries and anything that charges the battery whilst it is inside the camera, as there is a possibility that the battery will expand and get stuck inside the camera.
I agree with you, although I have not had a problem with the Hanel batteries I have bought, however they are, like all non Fuji 126S batteries, of a slightly lower capacity.

I used Hahnel batteries without any problems, but I read something on here about them expanding when charging and since I nearly always charge my batteries in the camera I switched to using Fuji only.

Vanguard do a range of bags called Adaptor which have a pocket for a power bank and a cable built in so you can charge your device without putting it away. It’s very handy in theory, but in practice I’ve never actually used it :)

Oh, no wonder I can never get a seat in there! :D;)

Fuji batteries are cheaper on Amazon. I asked for the price of an NP W126S in the Fujifilm House of Photography in London and was quoted £72. I looked on Amazon and found this one for £45.

I bought this 20W Mophie Powerstation Mini from the Apple Store. It's a little heavier than some and has USB-C outputs, but charges faster than anything else I've tried.

To be fair, it was the Pret just up from Millennium Bridge and I've never seen it busy :D

I'd seen anywhere from £50-£100 for the genuine Fuji batteries which was somewhat surprising.

I think I'll probably go down the powerbank route but pick up a cheap battery off Amazon just as a backup to chuck in the bottom of the rucksack just incase.

Just ordered Fuji battery for my X t5 from Bristol Cameras £48 inc delivery

My Patona Platinum batteries are still going strong after 3-4 years of frequent use. No swelling, and no noticeable difference in capacity vs the Fuji despite technically being slightly lower (1180mah vs 1260mah).

Hi all. I've been a bit quiet on here lately. I hope you've all managed to struggle on by in my absence :)

Long, waffly post incoming....

I'm going to the Le Mans 24 hour race in June. I've been a few times before but not since 2013 and my kit and photography aspirations have moved on a lot since then. Last time I was there I was shooting with a Nikon D300, a 70-200 2.8 and a Sigma 150-500mm. Nowadays, of relevance to shooting motorsport, I have a Fuji X-T4 and a 50-140 2.8 (and 1.4x TC) but that is about it. I know I would get by just fine with that kit but I can't help wanting to absolutely maximise the photographic opportunity. I'm considering buying something or hiring something specifically for LM24. If I buy something it will either need to be something I want to keep afterwards or something that I could easily sell on again for minimal loss.

Absolutely top of my wish list is a 200mm f/2. Realistically I wouldn't buy one of these. Privately owned used ones are thin on the ground and if I bought from MPB etc I could almost certainly guarantee that I would lose several hundred £'s when I come to sell on again afterwards. Too much exposure for me, but it does look like I could hire one for approximately £200. That is really tempting but of course it's money that I'd never see again and I am a bit tight!

Back on planet earth, if I wanted to buy a lens there are four or five on my radar.

Option 1: 150-600mm or the Tamron 150-500. These could be pretty useful in daylight where the unimpressive max apertures would probably be okay and the reach could be really handy. Realistically I'd not have a use for a lens like this after LM24 and they're both well into the £1-1.5k bracket so a lot of money to tie up, even temporarily.

Option 2: 100-400mm. A little cheaper than those above but I've owned one before and I wasn't convinced by the AF performance when I was trying to capture local owls but maybe it would be fine in good light?

Option 3: 70-300mm. This one appeals to me because I actually think I'd like to own one of these full stop for general tele stuff but also because they do a half reasonable impression of a macro lens which might be useful on occasion. I'm just a little worried that it won't really offer me huge amount extra over my 50-140 and TC at LM. I realise the 1.4 can be used with the 70-300 as well which is a consideration but only F/8...

Option 4: A little left field this but I really like the idea of a Viltrox 75mm f1.2. Not for LM specifically just for me, just because. I love their 27mm that I recently bought. The 1.2 aperture could be great at night for certain shots at LM. But I'm not sure it would be long enough to be useful in a lot of situations.

Anyway, these are my musings. I'd love some thoughts from you guys.

Oh and one last option that I almost dare not mention in these circles. But I could buy a used FF DSLR and used 300mm 2.8 lens for about £1500 and if I bought carefully I'd assume I could get my money back later on. I'm probably not a huge fan of this idea as I'm so used to Fuji mirrorless now but it's a thought.

Interesting perspective ;)

I've bought it cause I had the X100S and X100V and loved them to carry about. My photography has changed over the years where I'm more of an opportunist photography so a big kit with multiple lenses doesn't work for me anymore especially since I've had a baby in the past couple years. The X100 series is everything I now need and can easily carry it about when shopping etc meaning I can get some photography done now that my times so limited. I sold my X100V due to some personal circumstances but that was before the stock disappeared and since then I've not been able to get another unless I paid an astronomical price for it which doesn't make sense. So for me this is a welcomed release. I understand his point of view in the video though but each to their own and all that.

On as side note, one thing that really annoys me about this video though is the fact he's bought it to do a video and to return it. That means it becomes used or OB which reduces the cost. Of course they will take money off the refund that he'll get back but that's taking advantage of the camera stores and with many of them shutting down since covid such as Dale Photographic etc and this just feeds into that. For that reason I will now avoid his videos haha.

Last edited:
Option 2: 100-400mm. A little cheaper than those above but I've owned one before and I wasn't convinced by the AF performance when I was trying to capture local owls but maybe it would be fine in good light?

This is what @RichardC27 uses for motorsport to very good effect.

On as side note, one thing that really annoys me about this video though is the fact he's bought it to do a video and to return it. That means it becomes used or OB which reduces the cost. Of course they will take money off the refund that he'll get back but that's taking advantage of the camera stores and with many of them shutting down since covid such as Dale Photographic etc and this just feeds into that. For that reason I will now avoid his videos haha.
I think he said that he wanted to keep it when he bought it but just didn't like it ... TBH he is very informative in his videos. :)

I get where he's coming from.

I do question how many people have brought it because it suits their needs and it's an excellent bit of kit and how many have brought it because new X100...

You can tell in the X100 group on facebook who the “collectors” are. Let’s call them collectors instead of trend chasers, they certainly aren’t photographers.

You can tell in the X100 group on facebook who the “collectors” are. Let’s call them collectors instead of trend chasers, they certainly aren’t photographers.

I find Fuji groups on Facebook are mostly people posing photos of their Fuji cameras, rather than photos taken with the cameras.

I've come out of most of them.

Hi all. I've been a bit quiet on here lately. I hope you've all managed to struggle on by in my absence :)

I'm going to the Le Mans 24 hour race in June. I've been a few times before but not since 2013 and my kit and photography aspirations have moved on a lot since then. Last time I was there I was shooting with a Nikon D300, a 70-200 2.8 and a Sigma 150-500mm. Nowadays, of relevance to shooting motorsport, I have a Fuji X-T4 and a 50-140 2.8 (and 1.4x TC) but that is about it. I know I would get by just fine with that kit but I can't help wanting to absolutely maximise the photographic opportunity. I'm considering buying something or hiring something specifically for LM24. If I buy something it will either need to be something I want to keep afterwards or something that I could easily sell on again for minimal loss.

Absolutely top of my wish list is a 200mm f/2. Realistically I wouldn't buy one of these. Privately owned used ones are thin on the ground and if I bought from MPB etc I could almost certainly guarantee that I would lose several hundred £'s when I come to sell on again afterwards. Too much exposure for me, but it does look like I could hire one for approximately £200. That is really tempting but of course it's money that I'd never see again and I am a bit tight!

Back on planet earth, if I wanted to buy a lens there are four or five on my radar.

Option 1: 150-600mm or the Tamron 150-500. These could be pretty useful in daylight where the unimpressive max apertures would probably be okay and the reach could be really handy. Realistically I'd not have a use for a lens like this after LM24 and they're both well into the £1-1.5k bracket so a lot of money to tie up, even temporarily.

Option 3: 70-300mm. This one appeals to me because I actually think I'd like to own one of these full stop for general tele stuff but also because they do a half reasonable impression of a macro lens which might be useful on occasion. I'm just a little worried that it won't really offer me huge amount extra over my 50-140 and TC at LM. I realise the 1.4 can be used with the 70-300 as well which is a consideration but only F/8...

Option 4: A little left field this but I really like the idea of a Viltrox 75mm f1.2. Not for LM specifically just for me, just because. I love their 27mm that I recently bought. The 1.2 aperture could be great at night for certain shots at LM. But I'm not sure it would be long enough to be useful in a lot of situations.

Oh and one last option that I almost dare not mention in these circles. But I could buy a used FF DSLR and used 300mm 2.8 lens for about £1500 and if I bought carefully I'd assume I could get my money back later on. I'm probably not a huge fan of this idea as I'm so used to Fuji mirrorless now but it's a thought.
I would usually take a small and light set up to Le Mans, but then last time I travelled down in a car with no boot...

I have been considering something to go above my 50-140 and keep coming back to the 100-400.

I have several third party batteries which over time have swelled, I have never had this issue with an original Fuji Battery (as I understand it the S variant has better heat management circuitry to cope with demands of processing/high resolution video recording that the later generation cameras demand)
I have a mix of OEM and third party batteries. I hve had two third party batteries that have failed.
With batteries you get what you pay for to a certain extent.

It's no secret that mirrorless batteries don't last anywhere near as long as their DSLR counterparts, I got caught out today in London and had to sit in Pret for with my X-T20 plugged into a USB socket for half an hour...

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of aftermarket batteries off ebay as the genuine Fuji batteries are extortionate, is there any issues with using third party batteries?

Or maybe, thinking out loud here, a cheap power bank that I can have in the bottom of my bag to plug the camera into when not in use if the battery is getting low...
Just pick up an Anker PD power bank, will do the job!

I would usually take a small and light set up to Le Mans, but then last time I travelled down in a car with no boot...

I have been considering something to go above my 50-140 and keep coming back to the 100-400.

I'll be in my Exige so boot space not abundant for me either but it does at least have one! 100-400 does seem like a strong option. I've been looking at motorsport samples and people seem to get great results from it. It's not a lens I'm desperately keen on generally as I find them a bit bulky for my normal needs but it may be the right thing for LM to give me some more options without breaking the bank too much. Just hard to get the idea of hiring a 200mm f/2 out of my head....

Another vote for the 100-400 from me; I love mine, haven’t had the chance to take it to any motorsport yet though! Before I bought it I hired one from Fuji and also the 70-300, to see which one I got on better with. I didn’t notice any difference in AF performance tbh; I took them both to a local bird sanctuary, and I think I only had a couple of missed shots with each, from memory. My main concern was whether the weight of the 100-400 was going to be a dealbreaker, but it was fine; I‘ve taken it out for an afternoon before with no problems, and I’m a real weakling these days, haha.

I'll be in my Exige so boot space not abundant for me either but it does at least have one! 100-400 does seem like a strong option. I've been looking at motorsport samples and people seem to get great results from it. It's not a lens I'm desperately keen on generally as I find them a bit bulky for my normal needs but it may be the right thing for LM to give me some more options without breaking the bank too much. Just hard to get the idea of hiring a 200mm f/2 out of my head....

I think you posted that at the same time as I posted. The weight of the 100-400 was my main worry, but it’s not that bad. It’s smaller than the 150-600, and about half the weight of the Tamron I believe.

I’d love a 200mm F2, but that’s going to have to wait until I win the lottery I think! £200 to hire one isn’t a huge amount of money - especially if you factor it in as a percentage of what the rest of the trip is costing you. Do it… ;)

Last edited:
Another vote for the 100-400 from me; I love mine, haven’t had the chance to take it to any motorsport yet though! Before I bought it I hired one from Fuji and also the 70-300, to see which one I got on better with. I didn’t notice any difference in AF performance tbh; I took them both to a local bird sanctuary, and I think I only had a couple of missed shots with each, from memory. My main concern was whether the weight of the 100-400 was going to be a dealbreaker, but it was fine; I‘ve taken it out for an afternoon before with no problems, and I’m a real weakling these days, haha.
Thanks Kerry. Starting to sound like the 100-400 might be my best option. I do like that it will give me something substantially different to the 50-140.

I think you posted that at the same time as I posted. I’d love a 200mm F2, but that’s going to have to wait until I win the lottery I think! £200 to hire one isn’t a huge amount of money - especially if you factor it in as a percentage of what the rest of the trip is costing you. Do it… ;)
I think the cost of the rest of the trip is what's stopping me!

I like my 100-400. Yes it can get heavy after a while, but considering the old dslr's it's not that bad ;) I also got a better/ different foot for mine.
Most of the fox pix on my Flickr are shot with it.
Looking to get down to Snetterton later in the year and see what I can get :)

I like my 100-400. Yes it can get heavy after a while, but considering the old dslr's it's not that bad ;) I also got a better/ different foot for mine.
Most of the fox pix on my Flickr are shot with it.
Looking to get down to Snetterton later in the year and see what I can get :)

Where did you get the foot from? I saw someone selling an Arca-Swiss one on here and I missed it.

Back