The "fine time piece" owners thread.

Some Watches are more about the Sentiment than the Monetary Value...

IMG_6336-Edit.jpg

Back at the age of 14 I wanted to buy my Dad a "proper present" to mark his 40th Birthday. We weren't exactly a "well off" family - solid working class, always a roof over out head and good food on the table, enough money for my parents to go out for a couple of drinks on a weekend, and to make sure I had all I needed for all the schools extra-curriculars - you get the picture, not hurting, not skint, but not a lot of cash around for luxuries.

My Dad worked as a Coal Miner, a hard, horrible, filthy job, and never complained - I thought he deserved a treat, as he'd reached the (then unimaginably old to a 14y.o. lad) milestone birthday of 40. So, I went out and got myself a "summer holiday" job helping out at a farm near home.

Helping with haymaking, throwing bales around, loading trailers, driving tractors, hard work, but fun, and really good for me health and fitness wise if I'm honest - certainly made me a lot stronger for the next Rugby season - but I digress... I'd told my Dad I was working to raise money for a new pushbike - I'd just got into cycling, and joined the local Cycling Club, so it was believable. Bless him, he said that for every £ I earned, he'd match it 1-for-1... Oops - that's a bit of a dilemma.

Anyhow - I'd stashed away a fair bit of cash and went to the local Jewellers in the town where I went to School (a family concern, not some chain like most nowadays) - told him of my plans, and I think the story got to the owner... He sat me down and discussed what my Dad's habits were - I explained what he did for a living, and that he only really wore a watch to go out on a weekend - he was "old school" and still wore a suit and tie when he went out - I guess working down that filthy hole in the ground meant he wanted to "dress up" and put work as far out of his mind as possible. The Jeweller then basically gave me "a deal" on the watch in the photo.

It cost me nearly everything I'd earned on the farm for the 6 weeks of my school holiday but it was worth every penny. When I gave my dad the present and explained i'd kind of lied to him about putting money away for the bike - and that this was why i'd worked all summer, I swear he cried for only the second time i'd seen - the first being when my Grandma had passed.

He wore that watch every weekend - my Mother said putting it on was the second thing he did when he came in on a Friday from work (the first thing being asking what was for dinner...) and the last thing he did on a Sunday evening before going to sleep was to remove the watch and put it on his bedside table for the following Friday.

I'm pretty sure it's fair to say he loved that watch.

Fast forward nearly 26 years. My dad had some issues with his eyes, cataracts, macular degenration, and basically he'd gone blind. One thing he said to my Mother was that what he really missed was his old watch - the "talking watch" i'd found for him not being the same. Then, on my 40th Birthday, I visited my parents and my dad handed me a suspiciously familiar sized/shaped box, birthday wrapped.

In there was a card and "his" watch. Basically - he gave me the watch on MY 40th birthday and told me to go out and wear it, love it and keep making memories wearing it - because it seemed somehow right to give it to me on MY 40th rather than it sit in a watch box until he passed.

So, that's my "sentimental attachment" story. Sorry if I've rambled on too long - but it basically represents my memory of 1977 (along with The Sex Pistols and being late for the Streetparty for the silver Jubilee because I was still chucking bales around on the farm) - It is not, and never will be for sale. It's Value however is beyond comparison. 1977 (year of purchase) Chateau handwind. Restoration extends to having replaced the strap maybe 5 times over the years, and a touch of polywatch on the "crystal" a few months ago (because I had it to hand, and just wanted to spruce it up a little for the photo below)

Some Watches are more about the Sentiment than the Monetary Value...

View attachment 336566

Back at the age of 14 I wanted to buy my Dad a "proper present" to mark his 40th Birthday. We weren't exactly a "well off" family - solid working class, always a roof over out head and good food on the table, enough money for my parents to go out for a couple of drinks on a weekend, and to make sure I had all I needed for all the schools extra-curriculars - you get the picture, not hurting, not skint, but not a lot of cash around for luxuries.

My Dad worked as a Coal Miner, a hard, horrible, filthy job, and never complained - I thought he deserved a treat, as he'd reached the (then unimaginably old to a 14y.o. lad) milestone birthday of 40. So, I went out and got myself a "summer holiday" job helping out at a farm near home.

Helping with haymaking, throwing bales around, loading trailers, driving tractors, hard work, but fun, and really good for me health and fitness wise if I'm honest - certainly made me a lot stronger for the next Rugby season - but I digress... I'd told my Dad I was working to raise money for a new pushbike - I'd just got into cycling, and joined the local Cycling Club, so it was believable. Bless him, he said that for every £ I earned, he'd match it 1-for-1... Oops - that's a bit of a dilemma.

Anyhow - I'd stashed away a fair bit of cash and went to the local Jewellers in the town where I went to School (a family concern, not some chain like most nowadays) - told him of my plans, and I think the story got to the owner... He sat me down and discussed what my Dad's habits were - I explained what he did for a living, and that he only really wore a watch to go out on a weekend - he was "old school" and still wore a suit and tie when he went out - I guess working down that filthy hole in the ground meant he wanted to "dress up" and put work as far out of his mind as possible. The Jeweller then basically gave me "a deal" on the watch in the photo.

It cost me nearly everything I'd earned on the farm for the 6 weeks of my school holiday but it was worth every penny. When I gave my dad the present and explained i'd kind of lied to him about putting money away for the bike - and that this was why i'd worked all summer, I swear he cried for only the second time i'd seen - the first being when my Grandma had passed.

He wore that watch every weekend - my Mother said putting it on was the second thing he did when he came in on a Friday from work (the first thing being asking what was for dinner...) and the last thing he did on a Sunday evening before going to sleep was to remove the watch and put it on his bedside table for the following Friday.

I'm pretty sure it's fair to say he loved that watch.

Fast forward nearly 26 years. My dad had some issues with his eyes, cataracts, macular degenration, and basically he'd gone blind. One thing he said to my Mother was that what he really missed was his old watch - the "talking watch" i'd found for him not being the same. Then, on my 40th Birthday, I visited my parents and my dad handed me a suspiciously familiar sized/shaped box, birthday wrapped.

In there was a card and "his" watch. Basically - he gave me the watch on MY 40th birthday and told me to go out and wear it, love it and keep making memories wearing it - because it seemed somehow right to give it to me on MY 40th rather than it sit in a watch box until he passed.

So, that's my "sentimental attachment" story. Sorry if I've rambled on too long - but it basically represents my memory of 1977 (along with The Sex Pistols and being late for the Streetparty for the silver Jubilee because I was still chucking bales around on the farm) - It is not, and never will be for sale. It's Value however is beyond comparison. 1977 (year of purchase) Chateau handwind. Restoration extends to having replaced the strap maybe 5 times over the years, and a touch of polywatch on the "crystal" a few months ago (because I had it to hand, and just wanted to spruce it up a little for the photo below)
Lovely story Mark....

Lovely story Mark....
Thanks - to be honest, that watch taught me more of a life lesson than any other single thing up to the point of losing my parents... It taught me that if I wanted to get anywhere, i'd need to work for it, that I shouldn't be afraid of hard work - physical or otherwise, and that it's okay to work yourself to a standstill if its something worthwhile... All my life I've been a grafter - I've had money, I've spent money, I've had the luxury of throwing the towel in on a career at the age of 40 because of family commitments and the need to become a full time carer for the next 15 years.

Now I'm skint again, working for a wage so low I need to dip my savings £200 a month just to keep a roof over my head and food on the table - but I'm working for an organisation that I owe my life to 3x over or more - and frankly, with a 15 year hole in the CV, and a heart attack in my recent past, I wasn't the easiest person to get a job placement - so rather than sit on benefits, I work for something I believe in - and - lets face it, with the current situation, I couldn't in all decency walk away from the NHS at this moment...

But I've no major regrets, i've got a headful of memories, and a house full of toys that'll get sold to help keep the roof over my head and I'll keep on keeping on. That watch won't be one of the toys sold though.

Since buying the Monaco, I’ve now added a Panerai Radiomir base and an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. My
Watch box is now complete. Although I think the CW Typhoon Cockpit will
Make way for an IWC Big Pilot.

Attachments

• 9EFD90AA-9314-4A4C-99A0-6429A28BCEB1.jpeg
    9EFD90AA-9314-4A4C-99A0-6429A28BCEB1.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 17
This may be heresy in this thread.

When I was younger my parents bought me a nice Swiss watch and I still have it. Years later when earning good money but being a workaholic with no time to spend it I decided to buy myself a man present every month and a nice Swiss watch was one of the first. I used to fix stuff in those days and I sometimes used to take my watch off and lay it in my tool case but I'd sometimes forget and close the case and a few times I damaged the glass and had to have it replaced so I bought a Sekonda to wear to work and that took my mechanical watch count to three. All are still working to this day. In recent years I got worried about wondering about remote or dodgy places wearing a nice Swiss watch so I bought a Chinese automatic and now I have four of them and another on the way. They're all cheap but all seem well made and all so far have proved accurate and are a cheap way of having a small watch collection without feeling guilty about spending a lot on myself.

ESS Minimal, I think this might be a homage to something more expensive. The straps are usually metal but I prefer one of these so swap them over.

pDENBab.jpg

An odd and interesting thing about my dad. He couldn't wear a watch or a ring as, Uri Geller like, watches used to go haywire and stop and metal things such as watch bands and rings used to snap.

Last edited:
ESS Minimal, I think this might be a homage to something more expensive
Its got a real look of the Mondaine Swiss Railways Clocks... which co-incidentally, Mondaine also do watch versions of...

Its got a real look of the Mondaine Swiss Railways Clocks... which co-incidentally, Mondaine also do watch versions of...

Yes, that's the one, apparently styled to look like a railway clock.

I have this one in blue and red. I don't know who made the original but this design seems to be everywhere.

OOnZD4F.jpg

I did read somewhere that there are Swiss companies buying in Chinese movements and selling the watches for a lot more than these Chinese movements in imitation cases cost me.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ah. Thank you. I wondered who did the original.

TBH I like a plainer watch without the divers bezel timer thingy and preferably without a date too which is why I like the above Ess Minimal.

That’s lovely and understated. What model is it and what age? Looks good on the leather strap.

1976 Explorer 1016, but it's got a service exchange hands and dial from 1987 when it was sent by the original owner to Rolex who gave it a "full service" including changing the dial, hands and crystal and polishing all the character out of the case again. Came to me as a "long service/retirement" gift in 2003, when I left a company i'd been with from their start as a management buyout of a site from Unilever. FD was also a bit of a watch-geek and basically went to his usual dealership and said "what do you have in this price range that'll appeal to a watch collector...". When rest of board wanted to get it engraved with a message he insisted that the original back should be left pristine, and paid for a "spare" back to be engraved out of his own pocket, because he couldn't face "defacing" the watch.

as to the leather strap... well - it's on that because the original Oyster from that era is frankly a rattling heap of metal with a pressed steel clasp that looks like its off a £50 seiko and it's a good link and a half short for my wrist at the moment...

Last edited:
1976 Explorer 1016, but it's got a service exchange hands and dial from 1987 when it was sent by the original owner to Rolex who gave it a "full service" including changing the dial, hands and crystal and polishing all the character out of the case again. Came to me as a "long service/retirement" gift in 2003, when I left a company i'd been with from their start as a management buyout of a site from Unilever. FD was also a bit of a watch-geek and basically went to his usual dealership and said "what do you have in this price range that'll appeal to a watch collector...". When rest of board wanted to get it engraved with a message he insisted that the original back should be left pristine, and paid for a "spare" back to be engraved out of his own pocket, because he couldn't face "defacing" the watch.

as to the leather strap... well - it's on that because the original Oyster from that era is frankly a rattling heap of metal with a pressed steel clasp that looks like its off a £50 seiko and it's a good link and a half short for my wrist at the moment...

Good.

I've got a Tag 2000 series that I've worn daily for 27 years and it's still going strong.
I'll be 60 in 2 years and was thinking about replacing it with a new watch.
What would be a half decent brand to look at with a budget of say £1500?
I know that's sweetie money compared to some on here but I'd like to get something that will last.
Are Tag still half decent?
I seen a few brands that I like the look of...
Hamilton
Luminox

Out of interest... Does anyone know what my watch above is called or model number?

my taste these days runs mainly to plainer, smaller and more discrete watches as well...View attachment 336733

I've got a Tag 2000 series that I've worn daily for 27 years and it's still going strong.
I'll be 60 in 2 years and was thinking about replacing it with a new watch.
What would be a half decent brand to look at with a budget of say £1500?
I know that's sweetie money compared to some on here but I'd like to get something that will last.
Are Tag still half decent?
I seen a few brands that I like the look of...
Hamilton
Luminox
Have a look at Christopher Ward watches. They are superb value for money.
Ball are also excellent. Swiss made and bullet proof.
Some of the new Seiko and Grand Seiko are stunning.
I would go for Ball if I had the choice of that price bracket. Depends on your style.
If you are on FB, join the Watch Crowd, and their sister page The Watch crowd Sales page.

Have a look at my watch box photo further up the page. You can see the Ball Aviator and Christopher Ward Typhoon adjacent to each other. The CW is ceramic and wears really light. The Ball has tritium charged tubes that glow constantly, with a 25 year lifespan. I love aviation style watches.
The Breitling Aerospace you can see in the box only cost me £1300 second hand, complete with box and papers. It was mint.

It works!

Have a look at Christopher Ward watches. They are superb value for money.
Ball are also excellent. Swiss made and bullet proof.
I've looked at a few of Ball's products - and to be honest, its the tritium tubes that put me off. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Trit lume - a couple of my watches have the "original" T lume on there - and as such are pretty much invisible at night now (12 year half life, means that watches from the 1960's/70's just "dont" anymore) - doesn't bother me in the slightest frankly, i'm not particularly into lume - bought a cheap Steeldive "willard" homage, and it glows like a Chernobyl Nightclub. To the extent I have to leave it face down on the bedside table or the glow irritates me when I'm trying to get to sleep.

As for CW... i'm pretty much one of those people who just doesn't really like wearing a watch with some other blokes name on it... Sandhurst looks OK (if i can get the images of hoardes of Ruperts out of my head) but it's a bit dear for a Selita SW200 powered watch from what is still really a Microbrand (albeit arguably the brand that kicked the microbrand thing off...) and in the end it doesn't really bring anything that I haven't already got with the 1016 or it's big brother the 214270.

Not knocking your choice - watches are a deeply personal thing, and if they make you happy thats all that matters.

I do love that Breitling Aerospace though - really fancied one of them when they came out in the mid-1980's - went in to buy one, got distracted and came out with an Omega Seamaster 200 (the "pre bond" I think it's normally referred to now...)

Last edited:
Only to brand snobs! I have 3 Citizens that keep perfect time without wearing and that need no replacement batteries - radio controlled and solar powered. I have a couple of other (quartz) Citizens as holiday watches - pretty cheap, keep very good time and are waterproof down to 200m so ideal for snorkelling. The only mechanicals I have are Dad's Rolex Oyster Perpetual and the Holtzkern. Used to like Casios but have had one case disintegrate (retailer refused to send it back and also refused a refund/replacement despite it being well within warranty. CBA to chase it so just don't buy anything from F.Hinds now) and one waterproof one steaming up (well out of warranty but never opened - another solar powered thing.)

Keep toying with the idea of a Tag Monaco but prefer bracelets to straps which makes the watch GAS easier to resist!

Only to brand snobs! I have 3 Citizens that keep perfect time without wearing and that need no replacement batteries - radio controlled and solar powered. I have a couple of other (quartz) Citizens as holiday watches - pretty cheap, keep very good time and are waterproof down to 200m so ideal for snorkelling.

the 9000 Series Miyota movements (it's still citizen, just by a different name) in a few of my watches have been excellent - High beat, accurate to COSC standards (albeit not certified as so), and because they're a relatively thin movement they can be built up into some really nice wearing watches. Only downside is the unidirectional winding movement, which has a bit of a tendency to "spin" a little - but if it's in a relatively solid case (i.e. not a glass display back) then it's not obtrusive to me.

I've looked at a few of Ball's products - and to be honest, its the tritium tubes that put me off. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Trit lume - a couple of my watches have the "original" T lume on there - and as such are pretty much invisible at night now (12 year half life, means that watches from the 1960's/70's just "dont" anymore) - doesn't bother me in the slightest frankly, i'm not particularly into lume - bought a cheap Steeldive "willard" homage, and it glows like a Chernobyl Nightclub. To the extent I have to leave it face down on the bedside table or the glow irritates me when I'm trying to get to sleep.

As for CW... i'm pretty much one of those people who just doesn't really like wearing a watch with some other blokes name on it... Sandhurst looks OK (if i can get the images of hoardes of Ruperts out of my head) but it's a bit dear for a Selita SW200 powered watch from what is still really a Microbrand (albeit arguably the brand that kicked the microbrand thing off...) and in the end it doesn't really bring anything that I haven't already got with the 1016 or it's big brother the 214270.

Not knocking your choice - watches are a deeply personal thing, and if they make you happy thats all that matters.

I do love that Breitling Aerospace though - really fancied one of them when they came out in the mid-1980's - went in to buy one, got distracted and came out with an Omega Seamaster 200 (the "pre bond" I think it's normally referred to now...)
Sorry, that was for bobsyeruncle as he asked for watch choices for around £1500. I was just replying with some ideas.

I’ve quite a few watches (~50) from cheap to ‘not so cheap’.

Been wearing a dress watch, my Patek Phillipe Calatrava, this weekend for a wedding I was at

FACAB2F0-6CC3-47A5-902F-4E621C361273.jpeg

Though, more often, I rotate a few of them including my Rolex Submariner
14EBF03F-E7F0-4470-B488-CF17397987A7.jpeg

Rolex Explorer II
601C40A4-CECD-40E3-9C85-C4754EE6D418.jpeg

And my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore
9CA94D86-C076-48C6-98A7-8C03DB509F4E.jpeg

Another I was tempted by but only because one of my Triumph Bonnevilles is the Speedmaster variant!
Didn't realise you had a Speedmaster bike.
I've been looking at those too.... ;)
Although, when I got my MX5 7 months ago I told my wife that would help with the urge for another bike......it hasn't!

Last edited:
Mine's the older twin shock type rather than the one based on the Bobber. Fatter tank so much more range but "only" an 865 rather than 1200 lump. The smaller engine still pulls well but is noticeably weaker in terms of top end. Plenty enough for one and two up on smaller roads.

Anyway, here are the 2 mechanical watches. The Rolex was Mum's wedding present to Dad back in '61 and I would guess that it was 2nd hand then. The Holtzkern doesn't have as much interest in the marble as the ones on their website but it's still prettier than a plain face! Not the easiest to read in poor light, especially with contact lenses in and no reading glasses to hand (but I manage OK. Just!)

DSCF5534.JPGDSCF5537.JPG

Dad almost never wore the Rolex - it was too precious to him but he did manage to break the original strap. He replaced it with a Fixoflex but that plucked my wrist so I have it on a generic bracelet. IF I could find a full length genuine one at a reasonable cost, I might replace it but the ones I've found all seem to be missing a link or 2 and so are too short.

IF I could find a full length genuine one at a reasonable cost, I might replace it but the ones I've found all seem to be missing a link or 2 and so are too short.
same problem I have with the 1016 if I'm honest... it's a combination of the watch being small 36mm and short lug-lug length of (iirc) 43mm which means that right away, to fit around my 8.25" wrist, the bracelet needs to be 2 links longer than (say) the ones on a Submariner from the same era. I know, 36mm watches on a big wrist - people are going to say "well, it's way too small for you, what do you expect." but I got into the watch thing before the whole "oversize" thing was a thing... Okay, I can happily get away with wearing watches right up to a couple of "dinnerplate" sized g-shocks and so on - but I just naturally feel comfortable at around 40mm as a maximum for daily wear - anything bigger and it ends up back in the watch-box the next day, whereas tbh the 1016 was pretty much my daily wear watch from getting it in 2003 up to maybe 2017 when ill health meant I had to wear a HRM/Activity tracker and I couldn't get on with wearing something on both wrists, so the watch went into the box for a couple of years 'till I was signed off as fit again.

The generic one does the same job as a "real" Rolex one would for about £700 less than a new pukka one would cost me. Not a problem for me! What I like about the watch is that it doesn't scream Rolex and is very discrete.

The generic one does the same job as a "real" Rolex one would for about £700 less than a new pukka one would cost me. Not a problem for me! What I like about the watch is that it doesn't scream Rolex and is very discrete.

Just on accuracy.

I don't really mind a watch losing some time during the day, my modern watches don't but I do have a pocket watch which is over 100 year old and that does lose a few minutes a day but I don't mind as setting it and winding it are IMO all a part of the enjoyment.

Minutes per day would (and do) bother me but 30 seconds or so is good enough for mechanicals. Most of my quartz watches are within 3 or 4 seconds per day, apart from the radio controlled ones which are spot on (according to each other, anyway!)

Back