The firemen

They look like cardboard cutouts! I agree with Kris. Is that what you intended?

I have to agree with the others. At first I thought they were from another photo and pasted onto this one. The sky is rather blue.

Sorry don't like it at all, my guess is you have photoshopped the sky from a different exposure, and the firemen also look like they are from another picture.

Must agree looks too much PP, the guy on far right must be 7 feet tall? lost perspective somewhere. On a positive great frame and great idea

whats really funny is there not that much PP. If you look carefully you can clearly see how its done. One flash of to the right and one to the left. Underexpose the sky by two stops and ettl for the flash both on pocket wizards with an orange gel ( a trick thats been around for decades). If you set your WB correct for the flash it gives the sky a rich blue colour. We had two minutes before thew lads went of to a serious car crash. The brief was for something loud to shout out the message. STAND UP TO CANCER.

Feed back from the client

Many many thanks for this...Everyone was very impressed with your photo and we hope to load it on to our website and send it out to the local press.
The girls in the office were bowled over!

I sent them a desaturated one with the sky toned down and they were not keen on.

Last edited:
sorry dude not my cup of tea at all looks far to fake. glad the client likes it though after all its them you needed to please.

Sorry, this is so wrong it hurts.

If you look carefully you can clearly see how its done.

That's the problem though, not so much you can see how it's done but that you can see that the exposure is not the same for the three different elements, the sky, men and engine.

Feed back from the client

Many many thanks for this...Everyone was very impressed with your photo and we hope to load it on to our website and send it out to the local press.
The girls in the office were bowled over!

All that matters :)

Using a CTO and shooting with a tight aperture will always look a bit cartoonish- but I love it!

Has lost a bit of realism somewhere. Looks very cartoonish/CGI but nothing fundamentally wrong with that if that's what you were going for.
Big problem for me would be that there is a hugely obvious clone-tool job above the truck's cab. There are, like, three repeating cloud patterns as big as some of the firemen's heads! It just ruins the whole image for me. There's been something there (a building?) that you've made a rushed job of shopping out.

Last edited:
The treatment does look unnatural, but the firies were happy and that is of course (as far as I see it) the main thing. It was for a promotion - something you want to be eye-catching and get people looking at it - and I don't think I naturalistic-realistic treatment would necessarily have achieved its aims at all. Nick made conscious decisions about the look and feel of the picture and the client was happy with those decisions - job well done!

Having said that - yes, the repeated cloud is odd (I can't see three repeating patterns, though). The perspectives do look strange - but is that just because there are two little guys and two massive guys (ie, they are actually very different sizes in real life)? You have to work with what you're given, but it would have been better if the big guy in front had a white arrow instead of the black one - it would have exposed better and stood out more and also matched the colour scheme in the logo (as on their t-shirts).

Back