The First Casualty of War...

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Is often the truth...

but this time it was one of my D2x bodies, which took an almighty wallop as we crashed over the desert this morning in a WIMMIC land rover (stripped-down and with a rotating gun-mount in the back).
All AF functions have ceased and it barely operates in manual mode - there's no 'in-focus' indicator lighting up, so it's all by eye from now on, which as I discovered is more difficult than it used to be with these newer fine, bright screens. It was a POP with the old coarse screens with a fresnel and split centre.

This has been a sh*te trip and this has just been the ici ng on the cake. All this faff for a few happy snaps of a fat politician and a couple of happy snaps of the lads watching footy on a wide-screen TV... (did I not mention that one of the jobs was to photograph the lads 'cheering' in front of the wide-scree plasma TV that was provided by The Sun newspaper?)

Hot, dirty and now very p****d off in Afghanistan...

I thought one of the first casualties of war was usually a soldier ? ;)

Sounds bad though mate ! at least you know it can get fixed if you get time to get it to Nikon ! (and hopefully they dont leave you without a camera for too long)

I suppose you can keep a fairly wide angle prime on it, stopped down and preset to give the best depth of field? use the 'other' D2x for most of the work.

All sorted. Amazing what you can do with a Leatherman tool, jeweller's screwdriver set and some patience.
Took the Lens Mount off and 'jiggled' the AF mechanical connection rod. The impact (from 8 feet straight down onto the front of the lens - much of the force was absorbed by the plastic lens hood I'd imagine, although that survived intact) had jostled it out of alignment slightly. Took the mount off the lens and did the same thing, cleaned all the contacts, reassembled, voided any warranties and hey presto! all working fine. Test shots taken and confirmed.

Happy Rob once again.

I at least hope it was the one that was giving you problems before?

Nice one Rob, well done

Like everyone else says, stay safe...

Glad you got it sorted. Now make sure the equipment is the only thing that gets damaged.

Now just need some decent jobs to do out here...

not really, we arranged some jobs beforehand, but a couple got cancelled due to troops being tasked elsewhere. Plus helicopter flights are at a premium with so many being down for maintenance because of the dust storms.
We've been in Goreskh for three days and only now are we getting the taskings we asked for initially.

Back