The first decent pic I have taken

Edit My Images
No
....IMO

What do you guys think please? :)

i5kE1OI.jpg

I like the idea but I think and this is just my opinion maybe needs straightening and also my eyes keep getting moved of the subject and onto those big concrete block things so if you could make him pop from the background that would make this picture really nice

As I said just my opinion

Nice one

many thanks - Appreciate the feedback.

There has been no post processing done on this pic at all.

Good shot!

Personally I would have changed the composition completely though as the case and amp etc distract from the musician lost in his music.

If you'd shot it so he were in the left 3rd and there was nothing but the wall to the other side then it would IMO be a much stronger image... you'd have a guy, a guitar and a textured background and nothing else... would have been lovely :)

Good shot!

Personally I would have changed the composition completely though as the case and amp etc distract from the musician lost in his music.

If you'd shot it so he were in the left 3rd and there was nothing but the wall to the other side then it would IMO be a much stronger image... you'd have a guy, a guitar and a textured background and nothing else... would have been lovely :)

Oh yeah and then i'd have but it in black and white and boosted the contrast loads :)

(y) I can definitely see that working.
Closer framing, contrasty B&W, lovely classic image . . .

However, there's a part of me that likes the different approach with all the equipment to the left and the strong horizontal lines.
There's something slightly more interesting about it (to me) than the more obvious take on the scene.

It definitely needs a straighten. Personally, I'd get that wall level and then crop the top off immediately above the 2nd row of brickwork to give a panoramic aspect ratio.
I think it would minimise the distraction of the concrete blocks and actually make them work with the composition instead.
Maybe a selective curves adjustment on his face just to lighten that a bit too?

IMO the basis of a good image there and a few different directions that you could take it - would benefit from a bit of PP though :)

(y) I can definitely see that working.
Closer framing, contrasty B&W, lovely classic image . . .

However, there's a part of me that likes the different approach with all the equipment to the left and the strong horizontal lines.
There's something slightly more interesting about it (to me) than the more obvious take on the scene.

It definitely needs a straighten. Personally, I'd get that wall level and then crop the top off immediately above the 2nd row of brickwork to give a panoramic aspect ratio.
I think it would minimise the distraction of the concrete blocks and actually make them work with the composition instead.
Maybe a selective curves adjustment on his face just to lighten that a bit too?

IMO the basis of a good image there and a few different directions that you could take it - would benefit from a bit of PP though :)

I couldn't agree more very well said

Agreed, decent image, but my OCD just can't get passed squint
Can I ask why no processing? To me, this is a perfect example of images needing a wee lift to get the best out of it

Another vote for a crop from the top to leave two rows of blocks (you can see the huge improvement if you scroll down so that they disappear off the top of the screen), and a desperate need for a straighten.

Resulting image should look great.

Good luck.

I rather like this, shame the musician is so spread out though as you've struggled to frame all the points of interest...next time tell him to sit at a better angle for you and leave all of his clutter at home!!

I'm sure you'll take more pics such as this, and in your own time maybe apply some post processing and your pics will really stand out!

Great first picture indeed!

Matt

Thanks guys!

If I upload the full size JPEG - Does somebody want to have a bash?

Thanks guys!

If I upload the full size JPEG - Does somebody want to have a bash?

Put a link up to the full size image (the server doesn't like it if you put oversized images in the thread) and I'm sure there will be plenty willing to have a play around with it :)

BTW you have a cross in your "edit permissions" box, otherwise I'm sure somebody would have had a go with the small version already posted.
You can change this setting in your User CP to let others know that you don't mind them editing your images (or if it's only this particular photo that you're happy for people to edit, specific permission in the thread like you've just done is fine)

Here's my take on it - again a bit quick and dirty, but it gives you an idea of another direction you could go with it :
I decided to leave it a lot wider than Andy's crop and go for a lighter feel.

In Photoshop :

> straighten the horizontal lines
> Crop from the top (and a tiny sliver from the bottom because the pavement cracks were irritating me in the new crop)
> Curves adjustment 1 : to lighten the whole thing and a few selective bits that I wanted to stay darker (like his hair and inside the guitar case) masked out
> Curves adjustment 2 : linear contrast pre-set and reduced layer opacity to 50%
> Resized and sharpened

Oh and a border added top and bottom, for no particular reason than I think it looked a bit neater for on screen viewing.

I tried it out in B&W too, but in this instance I think I prefer the colour.
The shot almost puts me in mind of something that could be used on a CD cover and I just can't picture that working in mono with this particular image and the crop that I went for.

Back