The First Hint of Winter

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Three from the cold snap on Skye. Loch Cill Chriosd is fast becoming my favourite Loch in Scotland to shoot. It's such a challenge to even get a still day on Skye and the reeds add another dimension. On one hand they can act as a wind breaker but on the other they can sway in the slightest wind. All these were timed so the Loch was totally ripple free and all the reeds were still. These were beautiful moments in time but I was sad the moorland wasn't redder (by the time the still day had presented itself the colours on the Moors were weaning) and the sky had more feature to it. Still, light and reflections were all present so 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Bloody cold though - summer cannot come back soon enough and with it the lovely green grasses and reeds.

The specific composition I have done many times before a) I like it b) it is carefully chosen to hide a row of distant pylons I am too lazy to clone out - it's easier to compose them out and also the road and cottages in the distance

_DSC1536 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1537 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4482 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agree with you about pylons, roads etc. The third is my pick, because the reeds are more visible (not just their reflections) and the sun on the middle distance works better than the darker shapes in 1 and 2. (Personally I quite like wind-blurred reeds).

Agree with you about pylons, roads etc. The third is my pick, because the reeds are more visible (not just their reflections) and the sun on the middle distance works better than the darker shapes in 1 and 2. (Personally I quite like wind-blurred reeds).

Thanks - a lot like blurred grasses etc but I cannot bear them. I’m, as I’m sure you know, a big fan of stillness and serenity - it’s a key thing for me in my landscapes and still grasses/water/tree branches etc is a total must for me.

My downer is the sky. Usually Blaven is a good spot for clouds as it’s one of the highest mountains in the area but not this time. Still days are sadly so few and far between on Skye.

I’ve had better here but they were too good for the bin I think

I am normally a fan of the 'redder' closer to sunrise shots you display in a series, but in this one I prefer the last shot with the clarity of the glass like water showing clearly.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
Don't want to hijack your thread, but my daughter is coming home at the end of Nov for a couple of months and I'd like to take her to Skye.
Anywhere you'd recommend for us to see?
I'll be taking photos but she will just be taking in the scenery etc.

Hi Steve,
Don't want to hijack your thread, but my daughter is coming home at the end of Nov for a couple of months and I'd like to take her to Skye.
Anywhere you'd recommend for us to see?
I'll be taking photos but she will just be taking in the scenery etc.

Elgol, and this shots on the way. Trotternish and that’s all of it. The fairy glen, Sligachan, Eas Mor, Tarscavaig and all of the Sleat Peninsula as it gives you a different perspective of the Cuillin Ridge. Dunvegan castle. Neist point, Ornsay lighthouse etc

Fairy pools, how could I forget.

Elgol, and this shots on the way. Trotternish and that’s all of it. The fairy glen, Sligachan, Eas Mor, Tarscavaig and all of the Sleat Peninsula as it gives you a different perspective of the Cuillin Ridge. Dunvegan castle. Neist point, Ornsay lighthouse etc

Thanks for that. I'll do some research on your recommendations.

Hi Steve.
If I was to stay one night, which area would be best to stay in in order to take in as much as possible?
Can get a pod not far from Uig next week for a night.
Cheers

Hi Steve.
If I was to stay one night, which area would be best to stay in in order to take in as much as possible?
Can get a pod not far from Uig next week for a night.
Cheers

Sounds fine tbh, from Uig you are 30 mins from the Trotternish peninsula, close to the fairy glen, bit further from Elgol but driving is fun. Elgol would be my recommendation for this time of year, the sunrise/sunset location suits Elgol over the darker months far more than the summer ones. If it is still you can shoot this lake in the morning on your way there. Neist I would skip, to get the light on the cliff face is more an April to September job.

Despite what they say, it's not that big a place and nothing is more than 2hrs-3hrs away in any one direction from any one place. I personally class that as close by.

Sounds fine tbh, from Uig you are 30 mins from the Trotternish peninsula, close to the fairy glen, bit further from Elgol but driving is fun. Elgol would be my recommendation for this time of year, the sunrise/sunset location suits Elgol over the darker months far more than the summer ones. If it is still you can shoot this lake in the morning on your way there. Neist I would skip, to get the light on the cliff face is more an April to September job.

Despite what they say, it's not that big a place and nothing is more than 2hrs-3hrs away in any one direction from any one place. I personally class that as close by.
That's great, thanks for that.
We can go and use the time to get a feel for the place etc, hopefully get some pics, but at least we will know the place better for future trips.

That's great, thanks for that.
We can go and use the time to get a feel for the place etc, hopefully get some pics, but at least we will know the place better for future trips.

Hopefully the weather won't be this awful pea soup fog that's descended on our parts. Man, other than Christmas, I really despise this time of year.

It's the damp weather that bugs me.
Give me freezing cold and snow and I'm happy :)

Give me pre 6am sunrises, post 9pm sunsets, 20c plus days, sunny days with some cloud about (not too much though) and low winds I am happy. Mist/fog/cold/snow/wind/rain/damp are all totally unwelcome in SFTland.

I really hate the damp too. Scotland becomes a hell hole from November to May.

Give me pre 6am sunrises, post 9pm sunsets, 20c plus days, sunny days with some cloud about (not too much though) and low winds I am happy. Mist/fog/cold/snow/wind/rain/damp are all totally unwelcome in SFTland.

I really hate the damp too. Scotland becomes a hell hole from November to May.
Lol
We've booked a pod for the night on 27/12 so looking forward to that.
I'm getting some nd grads from Santa so hopefully I'll get a chance to try them out.
£60 for both of us, so not bad. At least it means I'm not going up and back on the same day.
Thanks again for your help Steve. (y)

Lol
We've booked a pod for the night on 27/12 so looking forward to that.
I'm getting some nd grads from Santa so hopefully I'll get a chance to try them out.
£60 for both of us, so not bad. At least it means I'm not going up and back on the same day.
Thanks again for your help Steve. (y)

No bother, enjoy the trip. I’m still awake having to turn on the oven, open the door and sit with my feet near the open door to warm my feet up. I couldn’t sleep as my feet are stinging due to the cold. I’ve dreadful circulation.

Totally off topic but I truly hate this time of year with all my being. Actually not off topic, I’m definitely waiting for summer to come back, how nice this spot will be in July-August, lovely green grasses, purple heather rather than this lifeless Hell we are enduring just now.

Pack warm clothes and footwear :)

Back