The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beckham left out of the Olympic squad, I must say I am a little disappointed.

That really is poor - I know that, (I would say possibly on his ability to play to the level required, but then I take it there are no other England players in the squad :naughty:), he may not still 'have it'................ but, come on!

There's arguably only one person who does more as an ambassador for English footie and that's Bobby Charlton - and in fairness he probably is too old to be in the squad.

Beckham has to be there - even as a token gesture. He is Mr England football!

I should say I am not a United fan either :p

Would gladly take Barton at Arsenal, we need a player or two with his attributes!!! Seriously, we get muscled out too easily.

To be honest he's not what you need - he's not as much as a presence off the ball as people think. He's decent but not for a top 4 \ 6 side. Why you didn't sign Scott Parker will remain a mystery until the end of time....

I think you might try and sign Diakite off us in a couple of years though....

akr said:
To be honest he's not what you need - he's not as much as a presence off the ball as people think. He's decent but not for a top 4 \ 6 side. Why you didn't sign Scott Parker will remain a mystery until the end of time....

I think you might try and sign Diakite off us in a couple of years though....

M'vila was reportedly seen at arsenal's training ground on Tuesday so if true perhaps the deal is still on!

thats a shame.

I'm going to the opener (at old trafford unfortunately .... shudder...) and would have loved to see him in the squad. But it does show pearce is serious about the competition and wasn't going to include someone purely on their status

I'd have liked to see Peckham included if only for the razzmatazz that the Olympics should be about but I can appreciate why he wasn't. I hadn't given the olympic football much thought (or even looked as who is playing) but is there a chance we might win ?

I'd have liked to see Peckham included if only for the razzmatazz that the Olympics should be about but I can appreciate why he wasn't. I hadn't given the olympic football much thought (or even looked as who is playing) but is there a chance we might win ?

i'd say there was a chance for sure.

Unless Beckham has totally still got it and can be included in the Olympics squad on pure merit, then he shouldn't be included. There are athletes all over the UK trying their hardest to go to the Olympics, and having to put themselves through so much in terms of training and qualifiers, that to give a place away cheaply, even in the football, seems harsh.
Also, we have heard for a while now in the football that players should be picked on current form and merit not reputation. Hence the arguments about Rooney, Ferdinand, Lampard etc.
Personally I don't think Beckham is good enough anymore so shouldn't be picked.
As Phil McNulty said on the Beeb site, if it is a reward to Becks for all he has done for the Olympics, then Seb Coe should be entered for the 1500m too :)

Last edited:
wibbly said:
Very disappointing, I can't believe he wouldn't have done a job for team GB at that level.

I wonder if it's that Pearce is serious or just proving that he's his own man? :thinking:

I agree x x

Unless Beckham has totally still got it and can be included in the Olympics squad on pure merit, then he shouldn't be included. There are athletes all over the UK trying their hardest to go to the Olympics, and having to put themselves through so much in terms of training and qualifiers, that to give a place away cheaply, even in the football, seems harsh.
Also, we have heard for a while now in the football that players should be picked on current form and merit not reputation. Hence the arguments about Rooney, Ferdinand, Lampard etc.
Personally I don't think Beckham is good enough anymore so shouldn't be picked.
As Phil McNulty said on the Beeb site, if it is a reward to Becks for all he has done for the Olympics, then Seb Coe should be entered for the 1500m too :)

If that's true then pretty much the current England squad - who, lets face it, didn't exactly cover themselves in glory this month, would also struggle IMO.

While I accept your sentiment - football, again IMO, dosen't exactly stress the top earners - 90 to 180 minutes work a week, oh sorry forgot about the training.......running around kicking a ball, for £stupid a week. Beckham, who has earn't a huge sum from his footballing exploits over the years, would have , and probably still could, pee all over the current crop of wannabees. And, with no doubt whatsoever, will have done more to improve the way the world sees English football than most will ever do. He has also been one of the best ambassadors for English sport in the modern era.

He deserves an honorary place if only judged on that (y)

Impressive first half for italy. Could stir up a few people's fantasy football plans with a lot of Germans chosen and limited transfers remaining!

Will someone get that muppet Mowbray off the BBC! Is he Pirlos bum chum? All I hear is Pirlo this, and Pirlo that... oooooohhhhh Pirlo has moved 2 yards, isn't he great!

cambsno said:
Will someone get that muppet Mowbray off the BBC! Is he Pirlos bum chum? All I hear is Pirlo this, and Pirlo that... oooooohhhhh Pirlo has moved 2 yards, isn't he great!

Mark Lawrenson makes Mowbray seem like a commentating god! The football this tournament has been fantastic but the commentating has been abysmal!

TriggerHappy said:
Mark Lawrenson makes Mowbray seem like a commentating god! The football this tournament has been fantastic but the commentating has been abysmal!

Agreed, I like Jonathan Pearce, and of course Motty has no equal but after that, meh!

Well i was happy with the result :)

cyclamens said:
If that's true then pretty much the current England squad - who, lets face it, didn't exactly cover themselves in glory this month, would also struggle IMO.

While I accept your sentiment - football, again IMO, dosen't exactly stress the top earners - 90 to 180 minutes work a week, oh sorry forgot about the training.......running around kicking a ball, for £stupid a week. Beckham, who has earn't a huge sum from his footballing exploits over the years, would have , and probably still could, pee all over the current crop of wannabees. And, with no doubt whatsoever, will have done more to improve the way the world sees English football than most will ever do. He has also been one of the best ambassadors for English sport in the modern era.

He deserves an honorary place if only judged on that (y)

+1
Another mistake by Pearce (wrong man for the job)

Last edited:
Germans out, who'd have thought it

Sadly, not me!

Italy certainly took it to them and deserved the win - though Germany had a couple of great chances to score early on, and their defending for the two goals was abysmal.

Beckham left out of the Olympic squad, I must say I am a little disappointed.

I agree. I don't personally believe football, tennis etc should be in the Olympics, but now it is, no-one views it as a serious football tournament. That said, I'd like to know who is better at crossing the ball in the squad, who would be a better senior mentor etc. If I was a player I'd love the opportunity to just train with him, and think he would have raised that standard as well.

However it's not to be....:thumbsdown:

I agree. I don't personally believe football, tennis etc should be in the Olympics, but now it is, no-one views it as a serious football tournament. That said, I'd like to know who is better at crossing the ball in the squad, who would be a better senior mentor etc. If I was a player I'd love the opportunity to just train with him, and think he would have raised that standard as well.

However it's not to be....:thumbsdown:

Ryan Giggs :shrug:

So here we are with the last game of the euro's coming on sunday and this is where the TP FF league stands

Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 15.36.54 by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

I wonder how the final standings will end. I'm 4 points off James who has led since the start, can I make up that ground? Will James be able to keep his nose ahead? Will I stay above my mortal enemys; Dinners,Fabs, Tiler and Reddraggon!!!

How important will the captain selection turn out to be in the next round? Who has transfers left to swap their germans out and get italians in!! Who will be man of the match and get that vital 5 point injection.

Who will get the golden boot? will it be me or fabs or perhaps a double from Slibert will seal it, maybe james and dinners will get a hat trick?

The excitement has reached epic proportions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The winner will be showered with praise, , the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
joescrivens said:
So here we are with the last game of the euro's coming on sunday and this is where the TP FF league stands

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37599844@N04/7466875414/
Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 15.36.54 by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

I wonder how the final standings will end. I'm 4 points off James who has led since the start, can I make up that ground? Will James be able to keep his nose ahead? Will I stay above my mortal enemys; Dinners,Fabs, Tiler and Reddraggon!!!

How important will the captain selection turn out to be in the next round? Who has transfers left to swap their germans out and get italians in!! Who will be man of the match and get that vital 5 point injection.

Who will get the golden boot? will it be me or fabs or perhaps a double from Slibert will seal it, maybe james and dinners will get a hat trick?

The excitement has reached epic proportions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The winner will be showered with praise, , the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore!!!!!!!!!

It's all to play for. We won't forget that you've had the upper hand throughout by keeping your squad private though :p

How has that given me the upper hand?

Well you can't outscore someone if you have the same group of players. By seeing other people's squads you can see who you need to avoid to stand a chance of closing the gap/extending the lead.

I'd have hidden my squad for that very advantage had I not been in another league with friends where we agreed all squads had to be public from the offset.

Aww, when did I become your mortal enemy Joe? :sulk:

Actually, I'm unlikely to score too highly in the final as I have no subs left so 3-0 Spain with a hat-trick for Iniesta is my best hope.

Well you can't outscore someone if you have the same group of players. By seeing other people's squads you can see who you need to avoid to stand a chance of closing the gap/extending the lead.

I'd have hidden my squad for that very advantage had I not been in another league with friends where we agreed all squads had to be public from the offset.

Woah. You have taken this way too seriously if you have thought it out like that. I don't have a clue who you have got in your team.

joescrivens said:
Woah. You have taken this way too seriously if you have thought it out like that. I don't have a clue who you have got in your team.

Haha I'm just joking around, don't worry! Getting my excuses lined up if you take the lead :D

can anyone explain to me why Andy Carol's header against Sweden is rated so highly? I heard someone on the radio discussing how he managed to contort and twist and leep and this that and the other, when in fact it looks to me like he jumped unchallenged and the ball deflected off him. The contorting and stuff happened when the ball was already goal bound ... the quality was in the cross really :shrug:

new2me said:
can anyone explain to me why Andy Carol's header against Sweden is rated so highly? I heard someone on the radio discussing how he managed to contort and twist and leep and this that and the other, when in fact it looks to me like he jumped unchallenged and the ball deflected off him. The contorting and stuff happened when the ball was already goal bound ... the quality was in the cross really :shrug:

Agreed. 90% of that goal was in the cross. Anyone taller than Theo Walcott should have seen that home.

Basically because it's one of the best headers you will ever see. Great cross but Carroll gave it a superb header and deserves all the credit he gets for it. The way you are failing to see that tells me you haven't headed a ball in your life.

All in my opinion of course!

Last edited:
and a highly qualified opinion it is too, I'm sure joe :LOL:

Basically because it's one of the best headers you will ever see. Great cross but Carroll gave it a superb header and deserves all the credit he gets for it. The way you are failing to see that tells me you haven't headed a ball in your life.

All in my opinion of course!

Lol, this comment reminds me of the way a lot of fans heralded Rooney's bicycle kick as the greatest goal ever when in fact it came off the middle of his shin and could have gone anywhere. Coates' bicycle kick was better than Rooney's because at least it was a clean, controlled strike and Crouch has scored at least two better that I can recall (Bolton and Galatasaray). Carroll's goal was just a good, solid, strong header. Decent, but not remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back