The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe they didn't score there - anyhooo

Indifferent performance at times but 3 points:clap:

It's never easy watching England!

Delighted by Walcott's impact, almost a 2nd assist at the end for him too!

Briiliantly average.... Just sit back and enjoy it for how long it lasts! :cool: :D

What a rollercoaster of a game. No doubt walcott was the hero last night and he showed something I don't see a lot from him, I don't think I have ever seen him score a goal over a load of players before, it's usally daisy cutters, and finally he had the incentive to do something at the end of his usual superb run ... TWICE!! just a shame that the goal keeper saved the last one.

Wellbecks goals was pure skill and class.

I think gerrard has really stepped up in these 2 games, I didn't even give him any credit for making the team based on his season at liverpool. As for andy carroll .... wellllllllll.... let's reminisce

Carroll going for me is a bit of a joke - I'd rather have Grant Holt.

The players I don't understand are .. snip ... carroll.

Carroll can’t hit a barn door with a banjo

let's enjoy that moment once again shall we ...

72bz7s.gif

I think Roy has done very well. He is not afraid to change people or systems and has made us into a good unit. We came back very well and he must start with Walcott next game. Also tempted to leave Rooney on bench and keep with Carroll and welbeck

I think Roy has done very well. He is not afraid to change people or systems and has made us into a good unit. We came back very well and he must start with Walcott next game. Also tempted to leave Rooney on bench and keep with Carroll and welbeck

i don't know about starting walcott, dont you think he makes a superb sub at 70 minutes when the defence is a little tired and he can run at them?

As for rooney, he's start im sure but the partner will be tricky. Wellbeck and rooney obviously have a partnership at united so that makes sense, but then carroll can hold the ball up and create lots of goals for rooney so I see merit in that too.

joescrivens said:
What a rollercoaster of a game. No doubt walcott was the hero last night and he showed something I don't see a lot from him, I don't think I have ever seen him score a goal over a load of players before, it's usally daisy cutters, and finally he had the incentive to do something at the end of his usual superb run ... TWICE!! just a shame that the goal keeper saved the last one.

Wellbecks goals was pure skill and class.

I think gerrard has really stepped up in these 2 games, I didn't even give him any credit for making the team based on his season at liverpool. As for andy carroll .... wellllllllll.... let's reminisce

let's enjoy that moment once again shall we ...

I knew you would start!

He scored one goal (which was 75% down to Gerrard's dream cross) but he did nothing to influence the game otherwise. He spent the entire game doing an idle circular 30m jog that never applied any pressure up the front of the field. He's going to need to put in a damn site more effort and play a far more active role in winning and maintaining possession for me to think his presence is worthwhile. You can't have one of your 11 men do nothing but wait for the ball to come to his head all game!

Welbeck had a far more influential game than Carroll.

I'm not sure what Young was doing but we certainly didn't see the best of him.

Gerrard had a reasonable game, my main criticism being the way he gave away possession at the start of the second half pinging multiple long balls up field that never connected with anyone when there was shorter, safer ground passes around him.

Scott Parker had another great game, he was his usual self off the ball but also played a good passing game which I've criticised him of before.

We'll probably make it through the groups now but same old England made it a bit of a drama it shouldn't have ever been and we certainly can't see off bigger opponents than those in our group.

4 cracking goals in 2 games. This alone will get other teams thinking a little negative when they play us!:)

Can anyone post up the standings of the Sky sports/tp dream team table, please. I haven't been able to get on the site since I signed up so no idea how we are all doing! Cheers(y)

I've got Klose and Podolski upfront, not Gomez in my fantasy team - typical.

Interesting results tonight, my money would have been on Poland and Russia going through.

Ok someone explain to me tomorrow's games. So Greece went through because the head to head against Russia means Greece scored more than them even though they are on the same points. Goal difference irrelevant.

Now then. Tomorrow if holland beat Portugal and Denmark lose to Germany, Denmark, holland and Portugal will all have 3 points. But how does the head to head work then? Denmark beat holland, but portugal beat Denmark, holland beat Portugal.

So what happens then? Goal difference?

If so, If holland win 1-0 and Germany beat Denmark 1-0 then holland, Denmark and Portugal all have a goal difference of -1. Then what? Goals scored? Denmark will have 3 and Portugal will have 3.

So what then? Goals against? Denmark will have 4 (3 from Portugal and 1 from Germany) and Portugal will have 4 ( 1 from Germany, 2 from Denmark and 1 from holland)

Wtf happens then?

Last edited:
We played a great game tonight. Nullified the Russian threat while creating a fair few chances. Bring on Germany. We'll batter them :)

We played a great game tonight. Nullified the Russian threat while creating a fair few chances. Bring on Germany. We'll batter them :)

Haha! I did think about you last night. I was dining out but checking out the situation on the Eurosport app. Great result for Greece, and a bit of a shock. As a for me, well Germany are my team, so if they meet, I'm hoping the Greeks get well and truly thrashed!

The previous screen shows me as having 118 points but the actual table shows 90for some reason so not sure how up to date it is

Screenshot2012-06-16at131257.png

Why are some of our glorious 12 members selecting a private team....what is there to hide? Pussies!!!

this is what happens if everything is equal at end of group stage

• (a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question

• (b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question
• (c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question
• (d) If, after having applied criteria a) to c), two of those teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given
• (e) superior goal difference in all the group matches
• (f) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches
• (g) if the two teams have played each other in the final group game, the team to progress would be decided on penalties. Otherwise it comes down to the Uefa national team coefficient ranking system
• (h) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament)
• (i) drawing of lots.

Last edited:
Why are some of our glorious 12 members selecting a private team....what is there to hide? Pussies!!!

Mine seems to revert back to private for some reason. It certainly never used to be.

UEFA to investigate England for their behaviour during the Sweden game. Apparently English fans attempted a pitch invasion. They were just waiting for something to chase after England for weren't they? Same old UEFA!

UEFA to investigate England for their behaviour during the Sweden game. Apparently English fans attempted a pitch invasion. They were just waiting for something to chase after England for weren't they? Same old UEFA!

To be fair, other countries are being investigated too.

To be fair, other countries are being investigated too.

For slightly different things; rioting between Russian and Polish fans, racist issues, flares and bananas thrown onto the pitch.

I'm not sure how penalising the FA for a few fans trying to get on to the pitch achieves anything. If the FA gets fined it won't stop people trying to get on to the pitch.

For slightly different things; rioting between Russian and Polish fans, racist issues, flares and bananas thrown onto the pitch.

I'm not sure how penalising the FA for a few fans trying to get on to the pitch achieves anything. If the FA gets fined it won't stop people trying to get on to the pitch.

So will fining the other countries for flares etc will that stop those supporters? I think not but UEFA have to be seen to be doing something.

Rules are rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back