The front of The Photography Forums (main site)

S

Steve

I was just wondering how many of you have the front of the site as your bookmark or do you just have the forums as the link? Out of the ones that have the forums as the link, do you ever look around the rest of the site and if so, how often?

Please post how you use this site as it is useful for us to know and how to develop it as a whole.

I have the forums as my bookmark, and i rarely check on the front page to be honest.......I will make a conscious effort to check more often!

lolyton said:
I have the forums as my bookmark, and i rarely check on the front page to be honest.......I will make a conscious effort to check more often!
Same here i'm afraid.

Steve said:
I was just wondering how many of you have the front of the site as your bookmark or do you just have the forums as the link? Out of the ones that have the forums as the link, do you ever look around the rest of the site and if so, how often?

Please post how you use this site as it is useful for us to know and how to develop it as a whole.

Steve,

To be honest until you mentioned it I didnt even know there was a rest of the site to look at ! Is it possible to put a link on the forums main page, back to the main site ? The if you get more interlopers like me that just get introduced to the forums, it would be easy to spot the fact that this wasnt all there was to the Photography Forums !

Just my 2pence worth !

If the rest of the site is as useful as this i better look for it ! :)

Yes I will change the forum head so that it links to the front of the main site. I guess it may be useful for us to copy all the info that we have put on the front of the site into the forums as well. At least that way everyone will have the benefit of all our resources.

Steve said:
Yes I will change the forum head so that it links to the front of the main site. I guess it may be useful for us to copy all the info that we have put on the front of the site into the forums as well. At least that way everyone will have the benefit of all our resources.

Can you put a comment somewhere, maybe the rules for the forums that mentions the rest of the site, or put sticky notes in each forum pointing to the main site section that relates to the forum section ? (hope that makes sense !!!!?)

Will save you a lot of work replication and making copies into the forums !

Yes thats not a bad idea as well. I will make it a sticky on a few of the forums. [smilie=t: [smilie=t:

Like most people I suspect Steve, I have the forums bookmarked. When you linked to it last night was the first time I'd seen it. There's some good info there, it just needs making more obvious somehow.

I have made a couple of posts now on the forums, they are stickys so should be seen by our members when they view the forums. I will add to them occationally to catch peoples attention. Tomorrow I will also edit the header on the forums when I am at my main PC.

Cheers for the suggestions and if you have any more please let us know :wink:

linked directly to the forums to m8, and it auto logs me in

MyPix

MyPix said:
linked directly to the forums to m8, and it auto logs me in

MyPix

Cheers, always good to know.

Are you back from your holiday now? I am looking forward to seeing some of the many pictures that you hinted at taking. I would imagine it will take you a while to sort through them though!!!

will be back next Thursday

been at the beach for the last few days, after climbing the bridge on Friday, so not that many pix taken, tho i have abused the 35mm underwater camera a little ( about 100 frames shot ), these will be developed and also put onto CD when in the UK, so the tally is around the 1300 mark at the moment , so lots and lots of sorting , with lots of cropping for my landscape/beach shots, lol

c u all soon

MyPix

Honestly, Steve... when I Googled "photography forums" it took me right to the forum page & not the main page. Thats how I found this site. I still browse the main page for interesting tips & stuff, but I am bookmarked on the main forum page though. Also, bear in mind I'm in the US, so my google search may differ from yours.

Also... I'm not sure if you realize it or not, and I could just be overlooking it by some chance, but there is NO link that I can find, that once you enter the "forum" section, you have no way to get back to the main entrance page, unless of course you keep hitting the "Back" button in your browser. Am I just missing it?

Eric

Aeryk01 said:
Also... I'm not sure if you realize it or not, and I could just be overlooking it by some chance, but there is NO link that I can find, that once you enter the "forum" section, you have no way to get back to the main entrance page, unless of course you keep hitting the "Back" button in your browser. Am I just missing it?

Eric

Nope Eric you are not missing it, it is us that is missing a direct link back from the forums to the main site. Thanks to everyone's input tonight though, I have now placed a few links back and will alter the link on the main logo at the top of the page to point to the main site. I will have to do that tomorrow though when I am on my main pc. Just for info..it was setup that way originally as we had the forums active (for testing) before the main site was developed.

I have now altered the link embedded in the logo at the top of the forums so that by clicking on it, it will take you to the front of the main site.

Thanks for all your input gents :)

I do have the main page as my bookmark to The Photography Forums, there is a lot of info there, very usefull!

The link near the top of the page "The front of The Photography Forums (main site)" doesn't work for me - it links to where I already am! :(

I also have the forums bookmarked, on the new posts page. I was thinking maybe you could turn the front page into a news site? Its a good way to boost content for search engines, and it can bring in more visitors who keep coming back to read the news. The main page seems a bit redundant for most of the memebers. Searching for "photography forums" on MSN puts us on the 2nd page with a direct link to the forums.

front page here

silkstone said:
The link near the top of the page "The front of The Photography Forums (main site)" doesn't work for me - it links to where I already am! :(

Are you sure about that? I hate to mention it but it might possibly be your browsers cashe?

It is definately working for me here on two different PC's, how is it for everyone else?

Target is the front page of the main site.

silkstone said:

thats cos its the thread title..... [smilie=t:

petemc said:
I also have the forums bookmarked, on the new posts page. I was thinking maybe you could turn the front page into a news site? Its a good way to boost content for search engines, and it can bring in more visitors who keep coming back to read the news. The main page seems a bit redundant for most of the memebers. Searching for "photography forums" on MSN puts us on the 2nd page with a direct link to the forums.

how you mean Pete? RSS feeds from places or just photography news?

dlh said:

Cool, thanks for confirming this for me.

Sorry Silkstone, if you have the problem it would appear that it may be local to you? Now where have we heard that before :shock: :wink:

Seriously, if you are still having an issue with this let me know.

Steve said:
dlh said:

Cool, thanks for confirming this for me.

Sorry Silkstone, if you have the problem it would appear that it may be local to you? Now where have we heard that before :shock: :wink:

Seriously, if you are still having an issue with this let me know.

Hes not got a problem, hes just not used to the way this software lays out

EosD said:
petemc said:

how you mean Pete? RSS feeds from places or just photography news?

You could use RSS feeds for quick and easy news, or you could use a blog style system and post your own news. Like upcoming competitions in magazines, or upcoming events and things. If you use a blog system that does search engine friendly URL's you can get great SEO. Like on my website, every gallery I post has its own unique URL that I try to make relevant to the images. So like you search for http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...official&q=liverpool+graffiti&spell=1liverpool graffiti[/url] and you get my site on the first page. Content is what search engines like, and content with a relevant URL is a great way to get a high ranking. So by having your own news on the main page you can drive people to your site. People will start coming for the news, and then joining the forums. Its just an idea :) It all depends on what you want to do really. Naturally you would need people to also update the news, which can be time consuming.

hmmm that is something that can be looked at i think....very interesting pete....

Back