The Fuji X-A1, X-A2, X-A3 & X-M1 thread

Don't apologise there are things in life that are far more important than cameras! I hope that your father makes a swift recovery.

I am liking the A so far and am badly tempted to get a second one for the free 50-230 (I do like having lots of toys)! I really fancy trying the 60 f2.4 too, hopefully I will pick on up soon as it looks like my kind of lens.

Thanks, sadly it's a bit more serious and inoperable :(

I too am far too addicted and have far too many toys, having a wife with the same interests means there's no problem in justifying purchases :) - with the fuji gear I've got the M, A, Pro1, 60, 35, 18, 14, 8 (samyang fisheye), 50 (L39 jupiter 8) - currently developed a love for footprint straps :)

Thanks, sadly it's a bit more serious and inoperable :(

I too am far too addicted and have far too many toys, having a wife with the same interests means there's no problem in justifying purchases :) - with the fuji gear I've got the M, A, Pro1, 60, 35, 18, 14, 8 (samyang fisheye), 50 (L39 jupiter 8) - currently developed a love for footprint straps :)

Really sorry to hear that, hope you and your family are able to help each other along.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who loves these toys... Apparently 12 cameras is excessive but I'm not so sure :)

A question about the XA1 (which I suspect to be the same on the M)... Probably just me being thick but whenever I use the pop up flash it sets a shutter speed of 1/30th of a second (shooting in A or P) no matter what other settings I have. Is there anyway to shift this faster as 1/30th is nowhere near fast enough to freeze action. I know I could just use S but tend to shoot in A most of the time so would like to be able to work the flash out in that mode.

Will flash exposure compensation change that?

Really sorry to hear that, hope you and your family are able to help each other along.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who loves these toys... Apparently 12 cameras is excessive but I'm not so sure :)

A question about the XA1 (which I suspect to be the same on the M)... Probably just me being thick but whenever I use the pop up flash it sets a shutter speed of 1/30th of a second (shooting in A or P) no matter what other settings I have. Is there anyway to shift this faster as 1/30th is nowhere near fast enough to freeze action. I know I could just use S but tend to shoot in A most of the time so would like to be able to work the flash out in that mode.

Ta :)

I have a few more than that, if you ever find yourself in or near Swindon you should pop into our studio :)

I would have suggested to adjust the min flash sync speed but picking up my M and having a look through the menu there's sadly no such option - next best is to go into menu screen 5 and change the flash mode (you'll need to pop your flash up for the menu to be accessible) and set the mode to Slow Synchro (for some reason I had to set mine to rear/2nd Curtain and then re-enter the menu for the Slow Syncro option to be available) - then your camera will be free from the 1/30s slow speed restriction

Don't worry too much about shutter speed for freezing motion when using a flash - the flash duration is separate from the shutter speed, the shutter only needs to be open whilst the flash fires, a good example of this is nightclub photography, this uses a classic recipe of a slower shutter speed i.e. 1/4s to allow for lower ISOs in a dark environment, this allows for the swirly streaky lights the background and then the flash captures the subject frozen and crisp

thanks for the feedback on the flash issue... I will have a play with it tomorrow and see how I go. In many situations I would be happy with 1/30th but my two year old is often moving to fast! I may have worked out another solution to the problem, a fast prime ;)

I have spent a bit of time playing with it today and am still liking it. Here are a few snaps with it today, nothing special but it is a nice little camera.

14177019031_3e3263d48b_o.jpg

14157154436_bf6a05ff65_o.jpg

Daniel decided that he had had enough of having his photo taken for the day.

14177677302_f3239483cc_o.jpg

14180329494_d5133ef261_o.jpg

13993672708_1a18c6da74_o.jpg

Nice pics! Anyone sorted a decent bag for this?

Nice pics! Anyone sorted a decent bag for this?

I'm using a Billingham Hadley Pro but that's also holding the Pro1, lenses, macbook, ipad and a load of other stuff - the Billingham Stowaway range looks like a good option for the smaller setup

That was carelees! :)
Did you go for another A or did you get the M this time?

I went for another A. I did think about getting an M but from what I have read the x-trans needs a different approach in PP and that seemed like it could get annoying if I was shooting the side by side. So I decided to stick with the bayer in the A so that I could just use my normal PP routine for all the photos (in other words I'm lazy). Also in the few days since I got my hands on the A I have been pleased with it so figured why not. I bought the first one secondhand with the kit lens and the second one was bought new so I can claim the free 50-230. Overall I reckon I have done OK with it as I traded the kit lens from the used one in when buying the new one and have effectively got the second body for £85.

1/38th Sec / Handheld / Underground / ISO 1600

Berlin Stag Do by bazfoster, on Flickr

Pretty impressed with the low light performance and Image stabilization on this camera/lens :)

woohoo! - my 50-230 arrived yesterday, wife says she likes it so I guess I've lost it already

yep - was getting a little concerned as I submitted the form at the start of May (on a previous offer, my 35mm arrived much quicker)

yep - was getting a little concerned as I submitted the form at the start of May (on a previous offer, my 35mm arrived much quicker)

Just rang Fuji and they quoted 30 days from date of purchase, however mine is due for dispatch on 2nd June according to their system. That'll be about 21 days after purchase. Gives me a chance to have a play with the kit lens...

Peter, you're making me jealous! - been weeks since I last took a photo :(

will be taking photos over the weekend although only of stuff that I need to sell - I need to get out more!

Peter, you're making me jealous! - been weeks since I last took a photo :(

will be taking photos over the weekend although only of stuff that I need to sell - I need to get out more!

That's the joy of not working! I spend my days looking after my kids which means lots of tripsto the park, the zoo and geocaching - the camera always comes along too. I hope you get the chance to get out and do some fun photography soon.

alas my kids are grown up now, did have a little time of doing the same thing about 10 years ago when we were in Switzerland - will hopefully be heading over your way later in the year, have friends that are overdue a visit in Peterborough and Cambridge, also as I'm a bit of a H P Lovecraft fanboy there will be a bit of a pilgrimage to Dunwich

Anyone using the 27mm lens with the X-A1. Wonder if it would be worth getting or just use the 16-50 kit?

More bloody rain... when am I going to actually take some photos!? Will have to make do with F1 and football on the TV today ;)

Quiet thread this one... Is it the weather? :)

What lenses are on people's wish lists? After my 16-50 and 50-230 (when it arrives!) I think I'd be most interested in the 35mm f1.4.

Going forward, thinking it might be a good idea to say which lens was used when we post pictures up. Might help others if they're interested in new lenses :)

What lenses are on people's wish lists? After my 16-50 and 50-230 (when it arrives!) I think I'd be most interested in the 35mm f1.4.

it's a very nice lens - there are rumours that there's a version 2 on it's way

The 35mm f1.4 is a lovely lens, but I would council thinking about what you really want from the camera. You already have that focal length covered, and unless you really need f2 and wider, then I would suggest getting the 27mm next, why??

Because, its good value, compact and an excellent underrated lens, it makes the camera pocketable, and therefore the camera gets taken out more. I have both, 27mm and 35mm and find that the 27mm is nearly always on the body. The 27mm and the 14mm are currently my two favourite lenses from the range.

Thanks for the insight! I was contemplating the 27 as it gives 41mm equivalent focal length I think, and like you say, is very pocketable (and around £100 cheaper than 35mm 2nd hand).

The 27mm looks like a ideal lens for keeping the X-M1 pocketable ( large coat type ! ) if they appear £150 on Amazon USA offer again or even 2nd hand I'd pick one up :)
I do have 35mm and 23mm but the compact size of 27mm would make a nice compact combo.

I'm interested to hear more thoughts on the 27mm, personally I prefer the 18mm as it's not much bigger, is a stop brighter and to me the wider angle makes more sense

Hi I have been using my Fuji X-A1 for a short while and I absolutely love it, I find for my own social and personal photography it gives a freedom that my Nikon D3x can not offer. We have just had a puppy and I am finding taking photographs of him with the Fuji X-A1 so much easier to handle, it produces some fine images, it would never replace my beloved Nikon however it has won a place in my bag and use it often! A couple of images attached of my puppy taken with this lovely little camera! All these were taken with the 16-50 lens using on camera flash for fill.
View attachment 12736 View attachment 12737 View attachment 12738

Last edited:
Back