The Fuji X-A1, X-A2, X-A3 & X-M1 thread

Edit My Images
No
Fujifilm's about to extend its line of mirrorless shooters packing manual dials and vintage looks, if a leak from Digicame Info is to be believed. The Japanese rumor site has flaunted pictures of a purported X-M1 model, which bears a strong resemblance to X-E1 we saw last year, minus the electronic viewfinder and shutter-speed selector dial. In place of the latter is a general mode selector, along with a tiltable LCD screen and WiFi, judging by the pictures above and after the break. While all that points to a cheaper model aimed at more casual shooters, there's no word from the company about specs, pricing or a release date, obviously.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/21/fujifilms-x-m1-interchangeable-camera-leaks-out/

Also pics of the 23mm pancake, not sure how it will work on the X-Pro 1 or XE-1 as theres no aperture ring.

I assume they've made it so that something on the camera body controls the aperture.

I tried with a GF1 but with a serious camera back screen shooting just isn't for me. I don't really even like using my LX.

I assume they've made it so that something on the camera body controls the aperture.

I tried with a GF1 but with a serious camera back screen shooting just isn't for me. I don't really even like using my LX.

I think I'm the same, I have pretty unsteady hands so being able to use my face as a tripod works wonders :LOL: I'm also not a fan of tilty-flippy screens, they can be useful but the designs of most of the mirrorless ones seem a bit of a nuisance.

Nice to see the x range being expanded but I think I'm going to go for a refurb x-e1 :D

I cant see them releasing it without one, its one of the major controls on the X range of camera's, doing away with it would be shooting themselves in the foot big time, its bad enough with the step-less continuous rings on the current zooms.

You can check fujirumors.com for the updates on this!

They have an interesting size comparison for the x-m1 and the other cameras.

They are also planning to release a cheap zoom, 16-50 f3.5-5.6 along with the 27mm (according to the website)

I think Fuji are taking a wrong turn if this is on the horizon. The whole idea of the Fuji X-Series was a return to golden age of photography. Not just retro looks but simplified operation, manual dials, aperture rings and less need for menu driven operation.

I really don't see how any of that fits with the idea of no viewfinder and removal of the external control dials. They are essentially two opposing directions.

Last edited:
I just don't know how people shoot with an even half way serious camera with just the rear screen. Personally I hate doing that.

It's no surprise to me though as if I think of a direction for cameras and photography to go in that just seems so utterly wrong to me personally... that's the direction it goes in :bonk:

No VF... FBW no marking lenses... ever higher base ISO's... the list goes on...

I really don't see how any of that fits with the idea of no viewfinder and removal of the external control dials. They are essentially two opposing directions.

Because Fuji has sussed that the looks of the camera are important and are using it to their advantage while they can. Even 'serious' photographers are attracted to the look of the Fuji when how the camera looks should be the least important part of it.

I just don't know how people shoot with an even half way serious camera with just the rear screen. Personally I hate doing that.

I used to be a bit anti rear screen and swayed towards cameras with a viewfinder. However, since picking up a camera that happened to have a swivel screen (something I had never had any interest in at all before) I am finding I am using the screen flipped up horizontally for 50% of my shots which was not how I woudl have imagined using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it difficult to focus manual lenses when looking at the rear screen. Even in magnified mode I much prefer the VF and only use the back screen for the odd angled shot.

I'm probably the only member here who is quite happy using a camera without viewfinder. I didn't miss it at all on my E-P3 except in bright sunlight. Having grown to rather like my OM-D and getting sorted with the right lenses, I think it is rather thoughtless of Fuji to come along and torture me with this. That Fuji sensor in such a good-looking small package that doesn't waste space and money on a viewfinder is very tempting. The flippy-tilty screen sorts the bright sunlight problem. Sorry to be a freak but I like the two control dials too :)

Last edited:
The X-M1 + 27 pancake looks like the perfect take away camera and complement for an X-E1/XPro1 setup! Thanks Fuji

Have you lot seen this Thom Hogan piece?...

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/

"The problem is that with just eight lenses Fujifilm has now given us three different ways in which the aperture selection works: dedicated and marked aperture ring, aperture switch with unmarked ring, and now command dial."

There's nothing wrong with any method, I suppose, but it'll mean that people who have a mix of cameras and/or lenses will need to think more when changing between kit.

I am not sure it is a massive problem. I see the X-M1 a very different camera to the other two so if you buy it you know full well what you are getting your self into. Let alone that the segment for which this is aimed at it is perfect as no camera in its class has lenses with aperture rings anyway.

For me the X-M1+27mm will be a point and shoot take everywhere camera. I don't need aperture ring for that let alone that controls on the lens with non VF cameras is a proper pain.

It'd only be an issue for people mixing cameras and lenses.

There have always been differences... I use Minolta and Olympus lenses and the aperture rings are at different ends of the lens wheras one has wide apertures to the left the other has narrow, but that's manufacturer to manufacturer. It's a bit much when there are differences in one manufacturers kit though.

It'd only be an issue for people mixing cameras and lenses.

And even then just people who can't handle different interfaces. I use Windows all day at work and OSX when not at work and I don't find it a problem so some slight differences between cameras wouldn't break me :)

Well, maybe I'm just a mildly OCD geek but personally I think it's a less than idea situation within one manufacturers own system.

Well, maybe I'm just a mildly OCD geek but personally I think it's a less than idea situation within one manufacturers own system.

No, I agree. It doesn't make much sense but if the camera is 'entry level' then it needs to be different I suppose. Not sure it is actually entry level, what is it going to cost £500, £600?
I live in hope that people spending that much might take 2 minutes to learn about aperture and shutter speed but realise it will never happen.

RRP of the X-M1 with the 16-50mm f3.5 is £679.

I couldn't live using a back-screen on a camera that costs that much, tilty-flippy screen or no. I knew there was going to be an announcement of a new x-series camera so I held off buying a refurb X-E1 but now I've seen it I'm going to order the X-E1 tonight :D

The X-E1 was well over 1k on release with the kit lens, I can see the XM-1 settling on the 500 mark which is rather competitive for an APS-C mirrorless camera.

The X-E1 was well over 1k on release with the kit lens, I can see the XM-1 settling on the 500 mark which is rather competitive for an APS-C mirrorless camera.

Not really, you can get a sony NEX 3 which has a 16mp APS-C, tilty-flippy screen and the 16-50mm zoom lens for £330, or the 16-50mm +55-210mm for £500 or even the NEX 5 with kit for around the same. Canon's EOS M Is only £350 too and that would appeal to canon shooters (albiet, if they hadn't read any reviews ;)). Plenty of APS-C cameras that have similar features for a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess that the Fuji 16-50 is going to be a whole lot better in every respect than any of the equivalent lenses mentioned for the other APS-C mirrorless offerings. Fuji haven't even slightly put a foot wrong with their lenses yet (I'm struggling to comprehend how good the 55-200 is after a few weeks of ownership).

The M has horrific AF, while the X-M1 is supposed to be a lot better (new firmware coming out in July is supposed to improve the AF speed for the X-E1 and the XPro1).

The Sony kit lenses and usability are lacking.

So far as I am concerned the 500-600£ price for the X-M1 is quite compelling.

The M has horrific AF, while the X-M1 is supposed to be a lot better (new firmware coming out in July is supposed to improve the AF speed for the X-E1 and the XPro1).

The Sony kit lenses and usability are lacking.

So far as I am concerned the 500-600£ price for the X-M1 is quite compelling.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I would rather have the X-M1 over the sony or canon cameras, and the price is ok for what it is; I just didn't agree when you said the price was competitive as there are plenty of cheaper options out there :)

The new kit lens for the X-M1 is pretty slow by fuji's standards @f3.5-5.6, is made from reinforced polycarbonate and made in China, making it very much a budget option, but then I think thats the idea of this camera, a budget entry to the X system.

The 27mm pancake on the other hand is faster @f2.8, all metal construction and made in Japan, I heard a rumour that its going to retail around the $100 mark, in which case for those who don't mind the lack of aperture ring it would represent a real bargain.

I can see kit prices dropping to around £499 eventually, maybe less for the 27mm & body.

To be honest it doesnt appeal to me, I'm happy with my X-Pro1, I always have been even without the new firmware updates but I can see it eating into panasonic/sony/olympus & canons share of the market.

What I meant with competitive is that given the features and quality it is well priced especially when prices level off a few months after release.

Of course it is not the cheapest or anything, but definitely quality / price ratio is quite high.

The new kit lens for the X-M1 is pretty slow by fuji's standards @f3.5-5.6, is made from reinforced polycarbonate and made in China, making it very much a budget option, but then I think thats the idea of this camera, a budget entry to the X system.

The 27mm pancake on the other hand is faster @f2.8, all metal construction and made in Japan, I heard a rumour that its going to retail around the $100 mark, in which case for those who don't mind the lack of aperture ring it would represent a real bargain.

I can see kit prices dropping to around £499 eventually, maybe less for the 27mm & body.

To be honest it doesnt appeal to me, I'm happy with my X-Pro1, I always have been even without the new firmware updates but I can see it eating into panasonic/sony/olympus & canons share of the market.

The 27mm is actually going to be around the 300-350£ mark according to leaks, I would very much doubt that any Fuji lens is going to cost 100$ even the 'budget 16-50.

It's no surprise to me though as if I think of a direction for cameras and photography to go in that just seems so utterly wrong to me personally... that's the direction it goes in :bonk:

No VF... FBW no marking lenses... ever higher base ISO's... the list goes on...

The X-M1 has a base ISO of 100 ;)

I don't mind using an LCD to frame shots. it can be much quicker and more discreet on the streets, as people don't really know what you're aiming at, you could point it right at them but be looking into the distance, with practice.

I don't buy second or side cameras to behave just like a mini dslr, I want them to be loose, fun, a change. I love that the X100s has a VF, but so far I've used the LCD about as much. Especially for "macro" - where I couldn't or didn't want to bend down so low to get my eye in there, much easier at arm's length using the LCD, and I've never had any problem focusing manually using the LCD either.

Still, this one doesn't grab my attention as much. I'm not re-thinking the X100s in any way, to go for this. Nope.Unless I was going completely compact-system, I'm not that interested in any of the models with inter-changeable lenses. I get a compact to relieve me of lens changing and carrying a selection of them about. I want a grab and go, fixed lens, it feels more free ... just for a change.

Last edited:
I don't mind using an LCD to frame shots. it can be much quicker and more discreet on the streets, as people don't really know what you're aiming at, you could point it right at them but be looking into the distance, with practice.

Or what I have found since unintentionally ending up with a flip up screen is that when the camera is held at waist level you can take street shots even more inconspicuously as it just looks like you are looking down at your camera messing about with it.

I am getting better results because of that reason alone and for the first time starting to prefer composing via screen.

The attraction for me is the size and the sensor.

If AF is up to scratch then I would do what I do with a prime lens (will stick a fast prime on this XM-1 as that kit lens looks like garbage), once I know the prime lens' focal length and its field of vision I can pretty much get a framed shot with my feet without actually holding my camera up to my face. I know what kind of shot I want to get, how I would get it and move into the spot from which that will happen then pull up the camera and shoot. There is no fiddle around with the camera once it is up. It is all done before I get there.

That's normally how I shoot street photography and this approach should work without a view finder.

Long as that AF is up to scratch....

Or I could just shoot full manual....I did for 2 weeks with a TS lens, it's not that difficult.

I would hazard a guess that the Fuji 16-50 is going to be a whole lot better in every respect than any of the equivalent lenses mentioned for the other APS-C mirrorless offerings. Fuji haven't even slightly put a foot wrong with their lenses yet (I'm struggling to comprehend how good the 55-200 is after a few weeks of ownership).

You may turn out to be right but this is their cheaper lens and is a more standard kit lens by the look of the aperture range which is exactly the same as Canon, Nikon, Sony etc,. kit lenses.

Oh, and the Sony Nex 18-55 is not a bad lens at all by the way but who is really interested in the kit lens anyway - Isn't one of the main points of these cameras the fact you can change lenses?

The X-M1 has a base ISO of 100 ;)

Really?

The specs as published on DPR seem to indicate that the ISO range starts at 200. Anyway, and either way it's just not a camera that I'd be interested in. I've been down the back screen route with a GF1 and it wasn't for me and neither is an add on EVF.

I definitely read that somewhere this morning, will try find where to link.

[edit] Here you go, just scroll down to ISO details: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_m1/features/page_04.html

Auto ISO only begins at ISO 400 though.

Raymond, sounds like you might be better to go for the likes of the Fuji X100s, if you're going to get something like this and stick a prime only on it. The X100s already has that ready to go, but also has the hybrid O/Evf on top. It's pretty nifty in good light at least.

ernesto, that is exactly what I see a flip/tilt screen as being best for. I doubt I'd use one much besides though, but I don't really know until i have tried I guess. I can see it being very useful for street though.

Last edited:
Back