The future of Sony APS-C mirrorless E mount and A6000 vs Fuji X

Edit My Images
Yes
I believe the latest E mount lenses to come to market were the 16-70 f4 and the 18-105mm power zoom. This was over 2 years ago now back in August 2013. Sony have made announcements stating that they are focusing on their full frame lenses now for the FE mount. Although these FE lenses work on Sony E mount, they are bigger and heavier than they need to be and not designed for E mount. Sony have a bit of a reputation for knocking out more and more camera bodies and not keeping up support with lenses for their systems. Some people say that it would not surprise them if Sony E mount just faded away.
There have also been rumours for some time now about a successor to the Sony A6000, some claiming it will be named the "NEX 7" or "A6100" or "A7000". But again, this has not come.

I consider the Sony A6000 to be a game changer in mirrorless with regard to AF. It's currently part of the Sony double cash back deal bringing the price for the body with powerzoom kit down to only £399. There is also cash back available on the 55-210 and 50mm f/1.8 making it a very cheap way to get a nice little APS-C system together.

But.....should one buy into a potential dying mount?
Should one even care? It's not like the camera and lenses become bad overnight suddenly.

It's difficult to decide anything in photography as their are always things coming and developing, but if one was to decide right now whether to go with Sony E vs Fuji X starting from scratch, what would you go with? Fuji offers a better lens line up and the kit zoom is far better. Sony has a 35 and 50 prime that have stabilization. Sony could bring one more APS-C body and it might have IBIS? Sony have better sensors and can use their own sensors as soon as they are ready for market. Fuji have X trans which are poor at video. Fuji have nice bodies with good controls. The A6000 beats both the X-T1 and X-T10 in image quality in tests I have seen. I've also noticed a big following on here for Fuji and hardly any Sony talk. You just have to look at the Fuji owners thread for the X-T1/X-T10....in comparison, there is no A6000 owners thread!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I believe the latest E mount lenses to come to market were the 16-70 f4 and the 18-105mm power zoom. This was over 2 years ago now back in August 2013. Sony have made announcements stating that they are focusing on their full frame lenses now for the FE mount. Although these FE lenses work on Sony E mount, they are bigger and heavier than they need to be and not designed for E mount. Sony have a bit of a reputation for knocking out more and more camera bodies and not keeping up support with lenses for their systems. Some people say that it would not surprise them if Sony E mount just faded away.
There have also been rumours for some time now about a successor to the Sony A6000, some claiming it will be named the "NEX 7" or "A6100" or "A7000". But again, this has not come.

I consider the Sony A6000 to be a game changer in mirrorless with regard to AF. It's currently part of the Sony double cash back deal bringing the price for the body with powerzoom kit down to only £399. There is also cash back available on the 55-210 and 50mm f/1.8 making it a very cheap way to get a nice little APS-C system together.

But.....should one buy into a potential dying mount?
Should one even care? It's not like the camera and lenses become bad overnight suddenly.

It's difficult to decide anything in photography as their are always things coming and developing, but if one was to decide right now whether to go with Sony E vs Fuji X starting from scratch, what would you go with? Fuji offers a better lens line up and the kit zoom is far better. Sony has a 35 and 50 prime that have stabilization. Sony could bring one more APS-C body and it might have IBIS? Sony have better sensors and can use their own sensors as soon as they are ready for market. Fuji have X trans which are poor at video. Fuji have nice bodies with good controls. The A6000 beats both the X-T1 and X-T10 in image quality in tests I have seen. I've also noticed a big following on here for Fuji and hardly any Sony talk. You just have to look at the Fuji owners thread for the X-T1/X-T10....in comparison, there is no A6000 owners thread!

Thoughts?

I'm sure there is an a6000 owners thread knocking around somewhere. Nothing like the Fuji one though granted.
The Fuji system is very popular. The camera looks cool, the controls are retro and there is a good selection of native lenses.
I've picked up a second hand a6000 myself. I wouldn't personally buy e mount lenses for it though. I've used my zeiss 55 1.8 that usually sits on my a7. With the crop factor this is about 82mm I think and is a great combination. I might even ditch the a7 and keep the zeiss on the a6000. If there haven't been any e mount lenses released for that long then perhaps it's not in sony's thoughts to continue with it and will focus on the fe mount. Or perhaps as there is a relatively small amount of native lenses for fe that they are being forced to focus on bringing out more lenses for this system. Especially as the flagship body is selling so well.

Depends what you want. Do you want a system that grows then get the Fuji. Want the latest and greatest sensor tech then go with Sony. Want a combination of both then M43.

The new A6000 should be announced in the next two weeks and the A7000 is rumoured to be announced in October.
Rumours aside, Sony are still working on the next models so it looks like the e series is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Apparently :)

As long as your comfortable with the current lenses available then it probably doesn't really matter what may or may not happen in the next few years! :)

I think we maybe worry too much about DxO scores and lens sharpness graphs. Even if the Sony APS-C lens choices are not be best in class I'm sure they still take very nice pictures and most of the important focal lengths seem to be covered so I personally wouldn't worry about the system dying... it doesn't seem to be.

I've had a passing look at both the Sony and Fuji systems and whilst there's a lot of love for the Fuji's and good luck to the people who love them the quirks all add up to overcome the retro design and manual controls for me and I personally would choose the Sony Axxxx even with its arguably ageing / less glamorous lens line up.

There are very active Fuji threads and forums but for me the social media aspect of it is waaaaaay down the scale and actually I don't care at all :D I'd rather have gear I'm happy with regardless of which thread has the most posts.

Last edited:
To me its also about the glass,Fuji Olympus & Panasonic all have better line up lens wise,and to make the most out of Sony sensor you need the best glass :)

Well Sony has some lovely glass but the problem is....they lack more affordable stuff that is good. It's one extreme or another. They have the lovely Zeiss expensive FE stuff yes. But if you want a walk about zoom you can use the kit 18-55 which is average, the 16-50 power zoom which is supposedly below average - but obviously very useable for video - or you can buy the 16-70 f/4 Zeiss. The later is very expensive for what is at the end of the day an ok zoom with only constant f4. It's also not the smallest either. It would be good if they brought out a 16-50 f2.8-4 like fuji that was high quality.
Fuji has the glass for sure, but again not cheap.

EDIT: Not to say Sony 35 and 50 OSS primes are not good value and excellent.

Last edited:
The new A6000 should be announced in the next two weeks and the A7000 is rumoured to be announced in October.
Rumours aside, Sony are still working on the next models so it looks like the e series is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Apparently :)

As always in photography and tech, there is always something just around the corner. However....this is the time of year where announcements tend to get made. Also, the cashback for the Sony stuff cannot be claimed for products bought after 6th September, including the A6000. So maybe they are waiting until after the cashback program for anything. I doubt it myself.

Back