The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

I need to stop looking at LCE Secondhand page every hour to see if there is a Used X-Pro2 turns up....my holiday can't come quick enough for me to stop thinking about gear and actually use the thing that i bought.

Speaking of which, my Pro-Mist for the X100 has arrived!

VjcFc7o.jpg

I need to stop looking at LCE Secondhand page every hour to see if there is a Used X-Pro2 turns up....my holiday can't come quick enough for me to stop thinking about gear and actually use the thing that i bought.

Speaking of which, my Pro-Mist for the X100 has arrived!

VjcFc7o.jpg
I’m doing the same thing but for an xpro1 !!

Collected a vintage SLR this morning. It a Thornton Pickard Junior Special reflex, from 1925-1935. Seems fairly similar to this one
I've not got a plate holder for it, but the lens alone seems to be worth more than I paid.

Someone buy this for some retro looking digital photos. It’s only £10!

2x Lume cube pro’s turned up today. I wasn’t expecting the build quality to be so good. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with them

After buying several photography related items in the last week or so, I also ended up buying a used Olympus m.zuiko 9-18mm lens which was advertised at such a good price it almost seemed rude not to get it :) I hadn't even set out to buy one, but it found its way into my online basket, and arrived at home a couple of days later. All seems great so far.

Ooops

GX8 on the way!!!

G9 definitely needs to be gone otherwise I am in big trouble with the other half
I did promise a while ago, one in one out

Accidentally bought a mavic 2 pro in the classifieds on impulse. Always wanted to do some drone photography and it was a good price, but had no idea of all the rules, certificates and IDs I needed to fly it. Some how I’m now a signed up member of the BMFA, have completed my CtoC license for flying a class 3 drone, and am registered with the CAA. This time last week I wouldn’t have understood a word of that. worst of all, weather has been too foggy to get out and use it, except Monday which was the most beautiful frost and blue skies but had to go into the office and missed it all.

At midnight last night I booked myself another trip for later this year to Croatia, 3 days for £380 everything included. Cannot say no.
You'll love Croatia, I was there in September, hopefully we'll get back soon, which area are you going to?

I think we're off to Mallorca again this year,although we're still to book anything, I need to renew my passport first.

You'll love Croatia, I was there in September, hopefully we'll get back soon, which area are you going to?

I think we're off to Mallorca again this year,although we're still to book anything, I need to renew my passport first.

Dubrovnik, reason is because of Game of Thrones...not because i am going due to the show, because why i came to know about it.

Looks to be small enough for 3 days, interesting architecture and nice weather around October, plus i've never been to that part of the world before and another new country off my list! Ticks a lot of boxes.

Last edited:
Dubrovnik, reason is because of Game of Thrones...not because i am going of the show, because why i came to know about it.

Looks to be small enough for 3 days, interesting architecture and nice weather around October, plus i've never been to that part of the world before and another new country off my list! Ticks a lot of boxes.
The in-laws went to Dubrovnik the same time we were in Duce, just outside Split, as I had planned a few photography trips, which never happened as we both contracted Covid, oh well, we'll get back one day.

Dubrovnik, reason is because of Game of Thrones...not because i am going due to the show, because why i came to know about it.

One of my favourite bars in the world is in Dubrovnik, called Buza Bar. 10-15 years ago before trip advisor etc. it was a hidden gem, but suspect that's changed now. Worth a look though. Enjoy, it's a stunning place

One of my favourite bars in the world is in Dubrovnik, called Buza Bar. 10-15 years ago before trip advisor etc. it was a hidden gem, but suspect that's changed now. Worth a look though. Enjoy, it's a stunning place

I'll check it out and let you know!

I don't typically use TripAdvisor for places to eat, I find it very hit and miss (top rated place in Bologna for Spag Bol and I thought my own tastes better...lol), but rather i watch travel videos and pick places from there.

Last edited:
Just bought my dream lens so really excited for the weekend where I hope the weather is decent so I can get out there and test it!

Managed to get a pristine Nikon 800mm f5.6E FL ED VR so well chuffed as it’s the perfect focal length for my local bird hides

Thought about it long and hard vs the newer Z which is lighter but the included 1.25x TC with the F mount lens effectively gives me a 1000mm f7.1 which is still over 3000 imatest MTF sharpness which is insane. I’ll take some pics when it arrives

Keeping my Nikon 500mm F4 and TC14III for my D850 second body whilst the 800 will pretty much live on the Z9.

So with my Japan trip coming up i thought i dust off my DJI Pocket and film a few videos when i get there. I used to use my XR to connect butno longer have that phone and the 14 Pro in the case doesn't physically fit into the DJI Pocket due to the case being too thick.

In doing research in Google "what phone case will fit DJI Pocket?" I found out you can connect it wirelessly if I use the wifi module......saw the photo online and I thought "I HAVE THAT!!!"

I forgot I even bought it, never used it and it works really well. So well I am going to try to find a way to attach it somehow to may be a Peak Design Capture Clip (may be?) and then use my phone wireless control it. It would be totally discrete.

So from GAS for new phone case to now GAS to get some clip/mounting options.

EDIT - Just like this!...i wonder if there is a more compact solution

e5c7WaP.jpg

Last edited:
Bank account slowly building, EBay sales going slowly.
Constantly checking for when a 2nd hand Olympus e-m1 mk3 and my bank account will meet

Bank account slowly building, EBay sales going slowly.
Constantly checking for when a 2nd hand Olympus e-m1 mk3 and my bank account will meet

£700, boxed. 2600 shutter.

Cupotea - why not start a new thread? It could be helpfully especially if destination tips were added?

bought a Gitzo GM4552L Series 4 5S L Carbon Monopod from WEX to give me a bit of freedom with the super telephoto lenses I’ve got and also a Wimberley AP-555 replacement foot for the Nikon 800mm f5.6

Im in the market for a bag or hard case that can take both the 500 f4 and the 800 f5.6 in with the camera bodies but so far it seems to be a unicorn product!

I purchased a 3 legged Travis tripod and a Godox flash trigger. Need to learn about flash as we didn't really do any flash on my course...figured best way is to watch YouTube and trial and error.

With flash, I find the best way is to go full manual. Since you are producing light, you might as well have full control of it. I feel it’s more confusing when using other modes. At least in full manual I know exactly what settings is doing what.

Ive just bought a Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 Pro thermal imaging scope to help with my wildlife photography. It’ll be invaluable for those pre dawn ventures out as I’ll know what’s in the area before first light to set up in the right place. Turns up tomorrow. Need to work out a solution for using it so that it points in the same general direction as my camera and 500/800mm lens but I’m sure there’s a cold shoe approach I could use for that!

With flash, I find the best way is to go full manual. Since you are producing light, you might as well have full control of it. I feel it’s more confusing when using other modes. At least in full manual I know exactly what settings is doing what.
I've found one place where TTL flash is a lifesaver. Shooting macro with a handheld off camera flash. Light to subject distances here can vary significantly between efforts, even when the flashgun is at arms reach...

I've found one place where TTL flash is a lifesaver. Shooting macro with a handheld off camera flash. Light to subject distances here can vary significantly between efforts, even when the flashgun is at arms reach...
I do too on say the dance floor, but to learn, I would still advice to put everything in manual so at least you know when you change something, you see what changed and not let the camera adjust and compensate, which dilute the difference.

Once you get to grips of which does what, then dial it back.

Reactions: Sky
Back