The General Drone-Related Thread

What we actually need, and someone just above has alluded to the same, is proper sentencing and prisons thate are not seats of learning. Go to prison in Madeira (Portuguese and so part of EU and under the European Civil Rights Act), they give you a solid bed, basic rations of water and 'porridge', only it isn't Quaker Oats! If you want better food and bedding your family have to supply you with it. Guess what, there is very little crime in Madeira!
Absolutely, I think that is a whole new discussion though.

But surely the airlines are only responsible for cost incurred within their control? They may well choose to pay as a PR exercise, but I think it's unreasonable to expect them to cough up for the whole coast when they are not responsible for the closures. When delays are incurred on a normal day there are always debates around who is at fault, is it the airline, the ground handlers, the refuellers, the airport as a whole etc etc. As with most things which involve money, especially with the almost non existent margins for some airlines, it's never simple.

Listening to Simon Calder this and yesterday morning, he was saying that while the airlines aren't obliged to pay compensation for delays etc. beyond their control, they do have to fulfil their obligations as far as getting people to their destinations and put them up in the mean time. Since the delays etc. are 100% due to the fundamental orifices flying the drone, surely they (the rissoles) could be held liable to recompense the airlines etc. for the costs incurred? Not saying for one moment that they can afford to pay though!

Listening to Simon Calder this and yesterday morning, he was saying that while the airlines aren't obliged to pay compensation for delays etc. beyond their control, they do have to fulfil their obligations as far as getting people to their destinations and put them up in the mean time. Since the delays etc. are 100% due to the fundamental orifices flying the drone, surely they (the rissoles) could be held liable to recompense the airlines etc. for the costs incurred? Not saying for one moment that they can afford to pay though!
Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Hopefully those inconvenienced will be compensated, even if just financially. I know if we'd been through this a couple of weeks ago when my little one was going to Lapland it would have been a nightmare. I feel really sorry for all those involved, unfortunately things like this happen every day (not drone related - yet) but delays, just this was on a massive scale, and totally unnecessary, in terms of it was a malicious act, and not caused by the usual culprits of, weather, breakdowns, sickness, etc.

What we actually need, and someone just above has alluded to the same, is proper sentencing and prisons thate are not seats of learning. Go to prison in Madeira (Portuguese and so part of EU and under the European Civil Rights Act), they give you a solid bed, basic rations of water and 'porridge', only it isn't Quaker Oats! If you want better food and bedding your family have to supply you with it. Guess what, there is very little crime in Madeira!

Absolutely, I think that is a whole new discussion though.

I agree wholeheartedly (y)

Can you imagine the uproar if that happened, screams of human rights etc :rolleyes:

You mean like the human right to speed?

Looks like they've arrested a couple of people, hope it's the right ones and it stops the disruption. However, hearing the figures on how many people are travelling from just one airport brings it home about how many flights are happening each day. No wonder the planet is warming up with all that CO2 and vapour entering the atmosphere. The human race really can't carry on like it is doing without reaping some pretty dire consequences.

If this was some sort of environmental protest then I don't condone direct action of this sort, but I do believe it's time to face up to the pollution the human race is causing. Who knows, perhaps jet air travel will eventually become about as socially acceptable as buying a mink coat is these days? Perhaps nothing will change until it's too late and the human race ends up more or less back in the stone age trying to survive in a hostile environment?
Yes, the dire consequences are on their way. There are plenty of warnings, but changing habits will only come by force, I fear.

Looks like they've arrested a couple of people, hope it's the right ones and it stops the disruption. However, hearing the figures on how many people are travelling from just one airport brings it home about how many flights are happening each day. No wonder the planet is warming up with all that CO2 and vapour entering the atmosphere. The human race really can't carry on like it is doing without reaping some pretty dire consequences.

If this was some sort of environmental protest then I don't condone direct action of this sort, but I do believe it's time to face up to the pollution the human race is causing. Who knows, perhaps jet air travel will eventually become about as socially acceptable as buying a mink coat is these days? Perhaps nothing will change until it's too late and the human race ends up more or less back in the stone age trying to survive in a hostile environment?

Isn't meat production and cement production more harmful?? if people are serious about that then pick on the most serious pollution. It will not be pollution that causes damage, it will be the huge population rises.

need to ban the sale and ownership of all drones

Agree. I also think we should ban all knife sales too as they are used in killings. Ban all camcorders and cameras too as people use them to film child abuse. We should also ban chocolate and crisps as some people get fat too.

Isn't meat production and cement production more harmful?? if people are serious about that then pick on the most serious pollution. It will not be pollution that causes damage, it will be the huge population rises.

It's our lifestyle that causes the most pollution. To resolve the problem we need to 'pick on' all causes, not just the ones that are most palatable to us.

It's our lifestyle that causes the most pollution. To resolve the problem we need to 'pick on' all causes, not just the ones that are most palatable to us.

Maybe, but what is our pollution to that of Russia, USA, China or India. While it’s great to lead by example, we could cut pollution by 85% and it would hardly make a difference globally.

Maybe, but what is our pollution to that of Russia, USA, China or India. While it’s great to lead by example, we could cut pollution by 85% and it would hardly make a difference globally.
If we aren't prepared to do anything, why should anyone else?

It's the kind of tribalism that we should have grown out of (and that has led to Brexit)

If the Human Race is going to survive, it has to do better...

It's the kind of tribalism that we should have grown out of (and that has led to Brexit)

I'm afraid the human race will just destroy itself by one means or another. This is a very sad state of affairs, but with things like Brexit and the state of the USA with a muppet like Trump at the helm, there is only one way things will go. I'm sure the Russians are sitting back and waiting for the rest of the world to destroy itself (while adding the odd catalyst now and again) and they can pick up the pieces.

I doubt the drones were orchestrated by Russia, but it's quite possible the next series of them may well be ;) let me get my tinfoil hat out of the closet :D

A great sentiment but if we did some radical things, China for example are hardly going to clean up their act. So we may feel better about ourselves but nothing really changes. Pollution can only be combated if its a global project, and the rate at which India & China are going (not to mention many in Africa) means that what we or many other euro countries do will be a small drop in the ocean.

Bit annoyed that there is no theory about the drones actually being alien aircraft... You never know!!!
There seems to be less UFO sightings now with all this modern day technology, super zoom lens etc...

Tis a shame that they feel they must hide for fear of being posted on the likes of FB though :D

Concrete was in use by the Romans, possibly before that, maybe as far back as the Phoenicians. It isn't the use of concrete that is the problem, as someone has said, it is the scale of its use.

120 years ago the world population was about 1.5 billion. In just 5 generations that has increased to the current 7.3 billion, a six-fold increase. It is this exponential increase in population that has put pressure on every resource, including food. The only solution will be a massive population decrease, on an unimaginable scale. Whether that comes about through a cruel, global war, a virus running rampant through the population or something geological such as a plate shift. Whatever it is, I am sure nature will find a cure in some form for the human virus that is infecting the earth. The only real question is how long before it happens? Hopefully not in my natural lifetime, a selfish outlook, I know. Our children or grandchildren I think at the very most.

BA were offering significant compensation to customers.

EB0-E1753-8702-4-D0-A-AE3-A-0-A57-CBB3-A713.jpg

I make that up to £325 a day for a couple.

Looks like repayment for hotel room/s and meals along with alternative flight/s or refund/s as required. Pretty much what I said above.

Only joking, it is Christmas after all. Mind you, this incident seems to have raised questions about the environmental impact of cheap air travel, so some good might come out of this? For instance, with renewed concerns about climate change being voiced recently, does it make good sense to fly your children to Lapland to see Santa, when the Round Table probably bring him past your house on the back of a float?

Bearing in mind the environmental impact of flying I can't say I feel particularly sad for those delayed at the airport..........

Bearing in mind the environmental impact of flying I can't say I feel particularly sad for those delayed at the airport..........

Perhaps but all these flights will happen anyway and it's a blip in the radar. CO2 isn't a concern of mine per se, but I don't like flying for destinations that are as close as mainland Europe - it's needless with Eurostar and by the Ferry routes in and out of the country.

Fuel is a finite source and it's better used for cars :D

Come on Steve - if no-one bought any tickets, the flights wouldn't happen! We all have a personal responsibility to make changes to our lifestyles to try to prevent the planet being roasted.

It's no use whatsoever leaving it up to other people or other countries to make the necessary changes. We have to do it ourselves.

Come on Steve - if no-one bought any tickets, the flights wouldn't happen! We all have a personal responsibility to make changes to our lifestyles to try to prevent the planet being roasted.

It's no use whatsoever leaving it up to other people or other countries to make the necessary changes. We have to do it ourselves.
Steve's doing his bit......he doesn't fly.
What do you do?

Last edited:
As several papers ran with a photo of this couple as their main headline today, anyone care to bet on if any of them will lead with a "we are sorry we got it wrong", headline tomorrow?

So I assume you don’t eat meat, don’t drive, don’t travel abroad...

Steve would rather put that fuel in his Lexus!;)

Personally, one short-haul return flight in the last ten years, as a matter of interest. Plus a whole range of other measures. I still have to drive unfortunately.

No it was a general comment really, We all make excuses about our activities being miniscule in comparison to others', or our country's emissions being tiny in comparison to those of China, but really, all we're doing is failing to take personal responsibility

Anyway this is going off-topic..........

YES :D :D

Aside - what do you do? I don't fly - ok not for the reasons you do not but driving around in a campervan fueled by satan juice is hardly off grid eco friendly living.

I would say considered use of raw materials, recycling etc are of greater importance.

Last edited:
So I assume you don’t eat meat, don’t drive, don’t travel abroad...

No, I don't eat meat actually (although I have a packet of smoked streaky in the fridge for Christmas day!) and as said above have very rarely flown in recent years. Unfortunately I do have to drive; but do you have to be absolutely PERFECT in order to encourage others to make their own changes?

I think not.

Anyway......my last words. Time to go back to Drones.

Last edited:

Personally, one short-haul return flight in the last ten years, as a matter of interest. Plus a whole range of other measures. I still have to drive unfortunately.

No it was a general comment really, We all make excuses about our activities being miniscule in comparison to others', or our country's emissions being tiny in comparison to those of China, but really, all we're doing is failing to take personal responsibility

Anyway this is going off-topic..........

But you don’t need to drive. Why not take responsibility?

However, when idiots who protest about pollution do this sort of thing it damages their cause, like those idiots who protest about Xmas turkeys. Flight is legal and this sort of action will do nothing.

Flight is legal and this sort of action will do nothing.

Climate change/animal right's groups operate on fear and intimidation. They love to cause disruption, chaos and anarchy. They've achieved this and people might be less keen to fly in the knowledge that if this sort of thing became widespred their plans could be disrupted. Look at how many hunts get disrupted by these groups. Disruption is their MO.

How many people wear real fur, not because they don't want to but because they don't want to be attacked by an extremist.

Last edited:
Is there any evidence that it was an organised climate change protest? Other than the front page of the Sun (or whichever rag it was......)

No, but it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work it this wasn't a 14yr old who got their xmas present early and in reality goes beyond the scope of a prankster type. It's not a terrorist group as there was no violence, hostage taking etc.

Might be Russians mind you...

Climate change/animal right's groups operate on fear and intimidation. They love to cause disruption, chaos and anarchy. They've achieved this and people might be less keen to fly in the knowledge that if this sort of thing became widespred their plans could be disrupted. Look at how many hunts get disrupted by these groups. Disruption is their MO.

How many people wear real fur, not because they don't want to but because they don't want to be attacked by an extremist.

Notwithstanding, while the intention was to disrupt it could have caused a serious accident.

I agree that some of the tactics of the Animal Rights activists are pretty outrageous.

No, but it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work it this wasn't a 14yr old who got their xmas present early and in reality goes beyond the scope of a prankster type. It's not a terrorist group as there was no violence, hostage taking etc.

Might be Russians mind you...

I blame Brexit myself.

Back