The General Drone-Related Thread

Had an interesting idea for nearer the summer, a TP drone meet up somewhere Ideally on private land and a nice big open space so any one interested can come along and have a chat and see some different drones up close and personal, what does everyone think
I've not been well lately, if it's nearby, can I just send my drone?

How easy are these to fly? Is there a training mode on them to stop you getting to excited? Saw a couple being flown at Ribblehead this morning
Don't know if all the later drones have the same facility, but on mine, a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon, if you get in a panic, just let go of both the sticks and it will stay where it is.
Then you can get your orientation sorted out and either get control of it again or hit the Home button and it will come back. When it's closer, you can take control again. You can also set a perimeter so it won't fly away too far.

I find some of the reported near misses rather in-credible. For a start not many are going up to 2000 feet (P3 is firmware locked much lower) - and who is actually 'seeing' a drone 16 feet above a wing?
The plane will be travelling at least 200mph and noticing a thing the size of a seagull and almost stationary by comparison seems a bit implausible.

I find some of the reported near misses rather in-credible. For a start not many are going up to 2000 feet (P3 is firmware locked much lower) - and who is actually 'seeing' a drone 16 feet above a wing?
The plane will be travelling at least 200mph and noticing a thing the size of a seagull and almost stationary by comparison seems a bit implausible.

I've often thought this myself, the only I would think that it would be really stand out visible would be at night/low light when the drones lights would show up clearly...but also I do kind of wonder at the nature of the kind of moron that would take there UAV/Quad/Drone anywhere near a damn airport

Don't know if all the later drones have the same facility, but on mine, a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon, if you get in a panic, just let go of both the sticks and it will stay where it is.
Then you can get your orientation sorted out and either get control of it again or hit the Home button and it will come back. When it's closer, you can take control again. You can also set a perimeter so it won't fly away too far.

That depends on the FC, if its a naze32 fun fly there is no GPS capability, for kicks I turn off all the assistance and fly acre mode :D

I'm really getting into drone photography and I was wondering if I could be given some advice by my peers on this site.

I'm not after DSLR quality as it's all for person/ recreational use. Ideally speaking I'd like a bump up in quality from what the cheaper drones have to offer, ideally on smartphone level because I'd like to use them for sharing and what not. Thanks

I'm really getting into drone photography and I was wondering if I could be given some advice by my peers on this site.

I'm not after DSLR quality as it's all for person/ recreational use. Ideally speaking I'd like a bump up in quality from what the cheaper drones have to offer, ideally on smartphone level because I'd like to use them for sharing and what not. Thanks

Budget my be helpful (y)

£200 - £300

For the top end of that you might be able to pick up an older phantom, but I don't really know as I didn't look at them when buying mine...but I know some have gone for close to thst in the classifieds here not that there are any in there right now or you can currently access it yet even if there were

I'm not really current on what's on the market in that range, but hopefully a fellow member will help soon

Possibly a used Vision or Vision plus could be had around that budget - the stills from them are pretty good and it shoots raw.
For stills you really need to be able to see what the camera sees - i.e. FPV
You can have something like a gopro firing continually and hope for the best of course.

Possibly a used Vision or Vision plus could be had around that budget - the stills from them are pretty good and it shoots raw.
For stills you really need to be able to see what the camera sees - i.e. FPV
You can have something like a gopro firing continually and hope for the best of course.

Suppose I could always put my camera on a monopod and hope for the best !

Would it be better to buy a copter without a camera and attach a better camera to it ?! I.e a gopro

Well got fed up with getting zero communication from DJI support after over a week, so went to my back option and contacted WEX, they are collecting it on Monday, for repair or if needed replacement, this kind of service is why I used them to buy in the first place...poor show DJI

Did you go see that someone's drone crashed into the Empire State Building. The stupidity of people.

Sorry to hear that. I have seen all over the 'net that DJI have terrible customer service :(

Yeah I'd seen the same reports but when I purchased I planned for that, I had hope things had improved alas it seems not, but the main reason I purchased from WEX is because they are a UK company so for warranty purposes, plus I've had a lot of dealings with them over the years so know just how good their customer service is (y)

Did you go see that someone's drone crashed into the Empire State Building. The stupidity of people.

Yeah I saw that, and he has been arrested, hopefully he will be dealt with strongly his actions would have of course been totally illegal in this country, however I do know that in the states they're a little more relaxed on flying in urban areas so long as not in a NFZ

Well as if they're trying to add insult to injury today, about 30 minutes after the courier that WEX had booked to collect my phantom had left with my poorly phantom, my phone pings with an email from DJI support...to say my response to their time to respond was scathing would probably be an understatement...with any luck WEX will be able to have it sorted quickly for me (y)

You're not missing much - the weather over the past few weeks has been anything but drone flying weather

This is on the whole true but there have been a few days where I could have gone out for some fun, plus I wouldn't have minded getting some photos of recently flooding with it as I'm putting together a small collection of village photos to go into the village historical archive

I read somewhere that the eagles' eyesight is so good that it can see the props and actually grabs the body of the drone in the middle, avoiding the spinning mincers.

I read somewhere that the eagles' eyesight is so good that it can see the props and actually grabs the body of the drone in the middle, avoiding the spinning mincers.

In that article infact

Last edited:
Possibly, although not from that link!

I got a p3 advanced a few weeks back. Was instantly hooked and now own an inspire 1 v2.0 with 16 batteries and am ordering the x5 camera soon :) love taking stills with it.

https://500px.com/photo/139966781

16 batteries bloody hell man hope you got a decent discount, heck that's what 7 hours of flying :LOL: :eek:

Almost his own body weight in batteries :)
I find three - plus a way to charge in vehicles (inverter) - is adequate, and managing even three is not to be ignored as they should be used in sequence and stored at about 50% if not used for a few days,
Actually it's unusual I need more than two at any location, but it's nice not to have any feeling you need 'save one for later'.
Also it seems to be rather unwise to land then take off an hour or two later with a part used battery, especially with low ambient temperatures like now.

Christ I'd need a lot more batteries to match my body weight lol

The tb47 I got with the drone and got a very good deal from my supplier :) and I got 8x tb48 from an eBay seller that's selling new ones for £130...couldn't miss out on them :)

Back