The General Drone-Related Thread

Not by any stretch a drone expert but it might be a proximity problem - if it senses something it might crash into, it might refuse to move near it.

Trty again with that picture that wouldn't load. This is the weir and house that I just used for practice - both flying and trying to use the new editing program! It is actually sharp when it is full size.... I have had to reduce it two or three times before the computer would allow it. It shouldn't be fuzzy like this.... more computer quirks that I don't understand. Crumpwood weir.1.jpg

Unlike film, which just makes everything smaller, reducing a digital file in size loses detail, similar to js rmvn eey ohr lte in a sentence - a smaller size has the detail but jUsT rEmOvInG eVeRy oThEr lEtTeR screws things up a bit!

Or could it be reduced number of satellites visible under the trees and certainly under the bridge? I seem to remember watching a YT vid where the chap had exactly that problem and in the end he turned the controller off and back on again. Mind he wasn't over water when it happened.

I would expect it to beep about proximity alert, you can probably turn it off but it's much safer on if you are going to fly so close to things
Flying low and among trees is all kind of risky at best of times but the results can be good in video.

Last edited:
I was trying to keep things of interest in so as to give a bit of depth to what the viewer sees. Flying around in open air is not so daunting. Going within a few feet of obstacles needs a gentle touch and concentration!

Unlike film, which just makes everything smaller, reducing a digital file in size loses detail, similar to js rmvn eey ohr lte in a sentence - a smaller size has the detail but jUsT rEmOvInG eVeRy oThEr lEtTeR screws things up a bit!

So how do I resize a picture so it shows properly? I had to reduce this one to 72dpi x 800 pixels.

To keep its full resolution, you'll need to upload it to somewhere like Flickr and link to it on here so people can click through to the full res file BUT they can then nick it if they so desire. I'm too lazy to do all that so I do the resizing in PS and adjust the result to get an acceptable image (sharpness etc.) then Attach it using the button below the reply box. Not ideal but easier than sending interested parties a decent sized print!

DPI doesn't change anything. Reduce quality instead.

Try 2000px @ 75% quality

I don't know what you mean by that. Going from 300dpi to 72dpi dropped it from about 10MB down to 775kb, without doing anything else to size it. Where is this 75% thing?

I don't know what you mean by that. Going from 300dpi to 72dpi dropped it from about 10MB down to 775kb, without doing anything else to size it. Where is this 75% thing?

That's only possible if you were working on physical dimensions. A digital file has no dpi until it's printed.

3000px wide is the same file regardless of the dpi. It just changes the default print size.

The quality is the amount of jpeg compression you apply.

That's only possible if you were working on physical dimensions. A digital file has no dpi until it's printed.

3000px wide is the same file regardless of the dpi. It just changes the default print size.

The quality is the amount of jpeg compression you apply.

I know I am thick. Long standing members know it already and sympathise because of my total lack of knowledge on how any of this works. I stumble along on a computer, but I really struggle with this stuff. I need that explaining - jpeg compression? I just turn it into a jpeg when I go to 'save as'... it asks if I want a TIFF or a jpeg.

Because my pictures are normally for either a magazine or advertising client, I just send jpeg as 300dpi at full size. It is only for on the forum I have to downsize it. I always forget and get the message 'the file is too big....'

Last edited:
I know I am thick. Long standing members know it already and sympathise because of my total lack of knowledge on how any of this works. I stumble along on a computer, but I really struggle with this stuff. I need that explaining - jpeg compression? I just turn it into a jpeg when I go to 'save as'... it asks if I want a TIFF or a jpeg.

Because my pictures are normally for either a magazine or advertising client, I just send jpeg as 300dpi at full size. It is only for on the forum I have to downsize it. I always forget and get the message 'the file is too big....'

What are you saving from? Photoshop?

I'll get some screenshots to explain :)

I use Nikon's Capture NX2 I have never seen anything else until this 'Darktable'... it took an age to get a picture into the place to do any editing - I have no idea how I did it, so doing it again is going to be the same run around. I have never seen Photoshop. That is a designer's program - the publishers and ad agencies, have designers who do all that stuff.

I use Nikon's Capture NX2 I have never seen anything else until this 'Darktable'... it took an age to get a picture into the place to do any editing - I have no idea how I did it, so doing it again is going to be the same run around. I have never seen Photoshop. That is a designer's program - the publishers and ad agencies, have designers who do all that stuff.

http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/NX/En_US/CapNX2.pdf

Page 162 :)

When you choose save-as, and change the format to Jpeg, you should get the quality options appear. This controls the level of compression applied to it. On the web, you're not going to notice much difference at all, if any, between quality 75 compared to 100. But the file size will be vastly different

Here is a short video i cobbled together from footage i shot in Scotland back in March 2020. This was the first week of owning the mini and before the v1.0.500 FW update so all the camera controls were in auto. I am desperate to get back up there to my holiday home (caravan) and hopefully get back up there and do a proper job of filming this area.

Mavic Mini - Auto pre FW update

Here is a short video i cobbled together from footage i shot in Scotland back in March 2020. This was the first week of owning the mini and before the v1.0.500 FW update so all the camera controls were in auto. I am desperate to get back up there to my holiday home (caravan) and hopefully get back up there and do a proper job of filming this area.

Mavic Mini - Auto pre FW update
Very brave flying over water!!! Good mix of subject (road, ruin etc) and great work for the first week of owning!

Those look like superb roads to ride....where was the rocky beach? I fancy a fishing trip on my motorbike!

Thanks @RIR, Yes it is GOF :)

Stayed at Auchenlarie a good few times. Caught bass from the beach there. Great area. :) I've a holiday home (caravan) about 53 miles from GOF. Looking forward to testing my new Mavic Air 2 there (when I collect it tomorrow), when Ms Sturgeon allows me to :confused: I won't try it at the red kite centre though, they'd likely attack it :LOL:

It's a little beach off the Solway Coastline, near Kirkcudbright.

Thanks, I shall have a look at the road atlas in readiness for the border being opened! That shallow rocky area looks ideal for wading with the fly rod.

absolutely. plus us 'cheapskates' with the mini don't have POI features.

Your not cheapskates you money conscious, the mini is a great drone by all accounts. Sorry for the suggestion I didn't realise as I have an Air1 and a MP2.

It wouldn't be too much to ask to have poi's flights in the mini would it ? DJI short changing as usual just like the downgraded MA2 being sold in Europe.

absolutely. plus us 'cheapskates' with the mini don't have POI features.

Try using the point of interest to fly in circles. You could do two shots one rotating one way and then the other and then mix them in edit.

Not allowed to use them for the PFCO flight assessment anyway so wouldn't matter :)

I can orbit something videoing it just fine, but flying an accurate circle any other way? Apparently not!

I'm really torn on this!

Originally I wanted the Mavic Mini as it is a steal at the price, and is less restricted during the transitional period. Also, it will be great to chuck in the camera bag when travelling. Then I see the issues with range and also the fact that you cannot shoot raw. Am I going to be underwhelmed with just shooting jpegs and end up selling it on quickly?

So then I sold myself on the Mavic Air 2 as it can do raw as well as hyperlapse. However, it also means I will need to do the A2 C of C course and after the transitional period it will be severely restricted in it's use.

Do I go for the Mini now, get some flight experience and have a cheap drone to pack in the camera bag and then upgrade to something better with a CE marking when they come out?
How problematic is the range and camera quality on the Mini?

I'm really torn on this!

Originally I wanted the Mavic Mini as it is a steal at the price, and is less restricted during the transitional period. Also, it will be great to chuck in the camera bag when travelling. Then I see the issues with range and also the fact that you cannot shoot raw. Am I going to be underwhelmed with just shooting jpegs and end up selling it on quickly?

So then I sold myself on the Mavic Air 2 as it can do raw as well as hyperlapse. However, it also means I will need to do the A2 C of C course and after the transitional period it will be severely restricted in it's use.

Do I go for the Mini now, get some flight experience and have a cheap drone to pack in the camera bag and then upgrade to something better with a CE marking when they come out?
How problematic is the range and camera quality on the Mini?

The Mavic Mini has a MOTM of over 250g anyway, so same rules will apply AFAIK

The pro print lab I use sent me some prints from the Mavic Air 2 today. C type prints at 24", 36" and 48" wide and the files hold up incredibly well even at the bigger size! Very impressed.

Reactions: RIR
The Mavic Mini has a MOTM of over 250g anyway, so same rules will apply AFAIK

I see that on the Mr.MPW channel but I cannot see any documentation that states this? Surely this is a spec that the manufacturer should list somewhere?

The way I’ve taken it is any drone currently on the market will be pretty much useless by 2022, as they will be legacy products.

Ive currently got the Ma2, but I have a pro 2 arriving today to try, as most of my work is lower light and I’m hoping The pro will hold up a bit better in the shadows.
I will have to take the A2 COC course regardless if I keep the MA2 or pro 2, so it’s irrelevant for me. I could wait to see what c2 drones are released soon, but I’d rather just use what I can now. In 2 years the Ma2 and pro 2 will be very old tech anyway and I’d have likely switched to something newer regardless of new laws.

I see that on the Mr.MPW channel but I cannot see any documentation that states this? Surely this is a spec that the manufacturer should list somewhere?

They do don't they? The drone is 249g, but the rotor protectors weigh more than 1g.

And the ESA regs are to do with MTOM not TOM at launch.

They do don't they? The drone is 249g, but the rotor protectors weigh more than 1g.

And the ESA regs are to do with MTOM not TOM at launch.

This has prompted me to go do some digging on YouTube. It transpires that the revised April release of the CAA CAP1789 does away with MTOM, and refers to it as 'Flying Weight'. So now, as long as no prop guards are fitted, you can fly the Mavic Mini in the A1 sub category forever. Which is good news! Info from here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWAhg-2zkU

Back