The General Drone-Related Thread

When you first turn everything on it goes through a rather lengthy update to app and drone, it will tend to overheat unless you can have it sat outside on cool windy day or maybe put a fan on it.

Well it’s arrived, I’ve got a 128gb and a 512gb v30 rated Sandisk card coming too (couldn’t wait for work as not in office for a week or more). 160/90 so something so should be fine. Apparently need one for the controller so that’s where the 128gb comes in. If it turns out I can shove an 8gb cheapo in there then I’ll do that and keep the 128gb as a spare.

So far so good, very quite compared to my old full sized mavic. RC remote is incredible. Feels like a light weight RC Pro however I’ve got the drone and the remote for the price of just an RC Pro so who ever put those prices in place at DJI is a hero.

I’ll get a pic or two up at some point, I need to sticker my drone and don’t have them yet so no flying beyond an “does it work” flight in the garage (which I do not recommend by the way).

Air2S beating specs and price in a mini form factor. Incredible.
You don't need one in the controller it has internal storage but obviously a card can store more if you want to.
It is only keeping I think 1080p cache of what is seen on screen.

I feel like I’m going to have to recharge my radio and get back into the simulator before I get back out into fpv, definitely feel like my reflexes aren’t what they used to be and don’t fancy smashing up my drones, not without getting some reasonable footage beforehand anyway!

Weeelll.. I’ve bought the care plan. Felt it was needed as a bit rusty and you can’t be overly careful can you!

Forgot I needed to add my OP number to the drone so more delays before going for a flight.

I'll be honest here. I must have misread or understood things at first because I didn't think you needed anything at all for under 250g!

All in order now though.

I for one cannot wait to see your images :)

This is more or less straight from Mini 3 DNG I have dealt with a current technical issue of Lightroom not having the DNG profile for it so there is quite heavy vignette.
(Doesn't show in JPGs which are also very clean)

It is also remarkably good in low light with very modes noise even at ISO1600

sam2-small.jpg

Stickers with OPID on them arrived today. Happy days!! If the weather holds up I’ll be heading out in to North Yorkshire some place as the nice wooded land and trails near me are yellow surrounding a very large no go zone for an airport no one uses.. who knew..

Hey guys!
I've been struggling making my footage smoother on turns.
I'm on cinematic mode already, but the turns come out too jumpy. Is there any way to fix it?
Also, when I try to go to advanced gimbal settings and set the speed at 10 and smoothness at 20 it resets it to 5-30 automatically for no reason. I'm not sure what the problem is. Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
First flight today. Weather has been a bit meh, a bit too much wind or short heavy showers so I’ve not fancied taking it out for a proper flight quite yet.

Had it up in the air and remembered exactly what flying is all about. I’ll be researching the local(ish) area and enjoying a flight or two this weekend. I’ve not got the flymore combo but I can always charge it up in the car between locations if I need be. If I really get in to it I can get the convo as it’s sold separately and isn’t all that costly.

I can’t believe how quiet it is though and the RC controller is a game changer, no more faffing with a phone. Very happy with that as I’m constantly getting messages and calls or notifications from something and it can be awful when you are trying to fly.

All in all I’m very happy with it. What they have managed to cram in to something so small blows the mind. A genius bit of kit!

I wind tested the Mini 3 in a fairly steady 20mph from a 'safe' direction and it easily made headway into that without sports mode.
It's noticeable it doesn't keep warning you about wind until it really is starting to struggle - probably around that 20mph threshold.
Compared to my Mavic 2 it climbs and descends much more quickly if you want to.
If you are coming in from relatively high altitude just watch you aren't dropping faster than you realise if used to earlier models. :whistle:

Very windy up on Dartmoor today but still took the mini 3, in fact the mini was the only camera I took with me. It's the first time I've used it in such high / gusty winds but then I've only had it a week. It handled the conditions very well, we even got caught in a shower that blew in very quickly.

rainbow by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

The portrait mode is useful too.

powdermills 3 by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

I had my Air 2 up in 27mph winds a couple of weeks ago. It was rock steady...

Some mini3 footage, recorded in cinelike option it is very easy to grade with generally very pleasing and natural colours.
I have been droning a few years but it seems curiously easy to make smooth cinematic movements even compared to Mavic 2 Pro
I think a good part of that is just being easily able to see a clear and bright image on the built in screen

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4LZutJEm8

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've had a Mavic 3 for a couple of weeks now.

Working well though have ordered cinesticks and looking forward to the SDK release so I can use Litchi with this new drone.

Still have my Mavic Pro 2 for now as backup for Litchi missions.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Loch Chon, near Aberfoyle.

DJI_0058 by Dougie Lindsay, on Flickr

Mearns Castle Golf Academy

DJI_0090 by Dougie Lindsay, on Flickr

The first of several video clips from Old Harry Rocks a few weeks ago.

My videos so far have all been done on the DJI App or VideoProc but I've spent the past week sorting out all of my PC & files etc ready to wipe it clean & install Windows 10 for Davinci Resolve. Yes, I'm still on Windows 7 right now.... Matches the original Sony A7 in the camera bag & the 51 year old car in the garage though :ROFLMAO:

*** [Explored] by Lee, on Flickr

Nice light & composition in these. I still feel I'm getting used to finding images sometimes.
Thanks. I got lucky with the light on those as it looked like it was going to be a naff sunset.
The first of several video clips from Old Harry Rocks a few weeks ago.
*** [Explored] by Lee, on Flickr
That’s some awesome light and composition. Not sure I’d have my drone as far out over water!

Thanks. I got lucky with the light on those as it looked like it was going to be a naff sunset.

That’s some awesome light and composition. Not sure I’d have my drone as far out over water!

Thank you. Yes, having only had it about a month it was a bit nervous especially getting strong wind warnings on the controller whilst it was up there! Survived though!

Reactions: RIR
Hi all, I just wanted to draw attention to the poll I created on drone use in Talk Equipment: Poll on Drone Use in case any of you guys here had missed it.
I'm just gathering info on our users/members with a view to potential competitions and challenges.
Cheers

The ruins of Lochmaben Castle, originally built in 1298.9F6933E3-9130-40DE-9AF8-F0D8C118247C.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought myself a DJI Avata, and they're so intuitive to fly! Have a few video jobs coming up shortly that it's going to be perfect for and I'll share them once I have it. But the goggles and motion controller make it all a breeze to control, especially with the head tracking feature with the V2 Goggles

So the Avata.

It's fun, the motion controllers makes it incredibly easy to fly, it's smooth and responsive.

But the range. The range is *awful* you start losing video connection at 100m and any small obstacle will cut it out completely, and with no sensors, that means you're going to crash it. Mine's going back.

So the Avata.

It's fun, the motion controllers makes it incredibly easy to fly, it's smooth and responsive.

But the range. The range is *awful* you start losing video connection at 100m and any small obstacle will cut it out completely, and with no sensors, that means you're going to crash it. Mine's going back.

Wow. That's a shame! Surely with an fpv drone & the speed it goes & the ground it covers you'd be wanting MORE signal that 'standard' not that much less!!

100m has to be... About 5 seconds of footage?

Is anyone here using the DJI Mavic 3 (normal or Cine version) ?

I've had drones for years but not used much over the last year. But I recently had the urge so I bought a Mavic mini 3 Pro to accompany my Mavic 2 Pro (just to have something different).

I'm really impressed with the Mini 3 Pro and difference between it and the 2 Pro is not substantial. So I'm thinking of upgrading the 2 Pro a Mavic 3 to have more creative choices with the lenses.

I'd like to hear from people with the Mavic 3 and their opinions on it and I wouldn't mind seeing some or being sent some log footage to see how well it grades.

Cheers

Back