The General Drone-Related Thread

The Ribble Steam Railway and Museum is an active Heritage Railway, running Steam Engines every weekend from Easter to October (plus Halloween and Santa Specials.).

With a museum, workshop, passenger train and a children's playground it's a great day out for the family and train enthusiasts. As a volunteer-run organisation, you will find a friendly and welcoming environment with knowledgeable volunteers on hand to answer any questions and share their knowledge. For full opening times please check their website.

Special permission and assistance from the following people made this video possible:

Mike Bailey Director & Company Secretary Ribble Steam Railway Ltd Paulo Marques Front of House & Museum Manager And thanks also to Steve, Martin, Sammi, and Alison for their time, and to all the volunteers that make this attraction such a wonderful place to visit.

Paul.

Whittle Quarry (Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley) Mini 3 Pro.​

Hidden behind the trees beyond beautiful countryside dwellings (Hello Peter, nice to meet you...) you will find the large quarry at Hill Top Lane in Whittle-le-Woods near Chorley, that was once used to dispose of radioactive waste.

There is a fascinating read of the government documents here ( https://tinyurl.com/2zafpxy6 ) - and Whittle Quarry made the news when local schoolchildren were found trespassing around this dangerous deep water in 2020 - the very place were an unfortunate 13 year child drowned - his mother has been tirelessly campaigning for more safety measures to be put in place around quarries and reservoirs, as well as raising awareness over the dangers of swimming in such locations. As alluring as water can be in summer, these places should be avoided by would-be swimmers.

Music by Enya: Aníron

Paul.

The Stepping Stones by the (Replica) Inglis Bridge

Charles Edward Inglis designed the first dry gap prefabricated military bridge in service with any Army anywhere in the world - though this replica portable bridge near Preston is not quite so grand as most. Officially called the Inglis Portable Military Bridge – Light Type it was generally known as the Inglis Pyramid Bridge. It would be true to say though that most people visiting the small pleasant St Catherine's Park, Lostock Hall, prefer to traverse the River Lostock across the stepping stones - because... well, why the hell not!

This green parkland space located on the edge of the village is around four hectares in size and includes a natural play area, grass kick-about space and a network of footpaths. It is also home to aforementioned replica Inglis bridge which is located over the River Lostock adjacent to an existing ford. Music by Enya - A Day Without Rain.

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi guys, can anybody point me in the right direction?

I have started seeing this when I start my DJI RC,
Flight Record.jpg
But even though I have searched online I am still not quite sure what to do next?

When I press 'Upload Now' I am taken to the flight record, and that's all?

What should I do to clear this message please?

View attachment 388472
But even though I have searched online I am still not quite sure what to do next?

See here:

Thanks Paul :)
So I need to create a DJI account and upload the logs?

View attachment 388472

Do you have an SD card in the controller I assumed it stored them on that.
Though it might not be able to move them once saved to limited internal memory

Is it worth waiting a bit for possible price drops on the DJI mini 3 pro due to the mavic 3 recent release or will the pricing remain the same do you think?

Is it worth waiting a bit for possible price drops on the DJI mini 3 pro due to the mavic 3 recent release or will the pricing remain the same do you think?
Not really the same segment the Mavic 3 is much more pricey with more serious pro features.
There will always be a new improved model in a few months time.
But they are tending to plateau now there simply aren't any ground breaking new features could be included just incremental improvements in flight time or camera but DJI's have all been rather good since Phantom 3 came out.

Do you have an SD card in the controller I assumed it stored them on that.
Though it might not be able to move them once saved to limited internal memory
Yes I do, but I need to experiment a wee bit. I’ll update this post as soon as I can 4wd ;)

Very nice Paul ;)
I've just completed something similar for a friend of mine, moving from Norfolk to Yorkshire.

Very nice Paul ;)
I've just completed something similar for a friend of mine, moving from Norfolk to Yorkshire.

Anthony wanted to see what the place was like from above, so the jib done for him and he's happy to see it. Nice when a little idea works for people.

Paul.

Jenny Brown's Point

THE CHIMNEY ON THE SHORE

This chimney has puzzled people for a long time.

Some have suggested that it was a beacon for ships. Others thought it could be part of a time kiln or a mine. We know now that it is part of a range of structures revealed as the saltmarsh in the area has eroded. We now think it is all that remains of a furnace used to purify locally-mined metal ores Archaeological excavation found a flue linked to the chimney. Deposits of coal and clinker, a waste from burning coal, support the theory that this was a furnace for purifying metal ores.

Since 2014, the site has been the focus of a National Lottery Heritage Fund community archaeology project. led by Morecambe Bay Partnership and supported by Mourholme Local History Group and Arnside & Silverdale AONB Partnership.

The furnace was probably built in the 1780s by the lord of the manor of Yealand, Robert Glason. The chimney was repointed and tapped using a lime sand mortar in the 1990s. This is why it looks so surprisingly smart today.

Music by Enya - "The Humming"

Interesting additional info >>> PDF

All we know for sure is that almost 400 years ago in the 1660s, there were two Jenny Browns, mother and daughter, living at nearby Dykehouse farm. Whatever the truth may be, Jenny Brown's Point is how this place is known and her name will be attached to this beauty spot for evermore.

Paul.

Rivington Pike and the Other Drone Flyer!

One of two flights on the 22nd of May saw me blast the Mini 3 Pro into Sports Mode and fly up to around Rivington Pike.

Rivington Pike is a hill on Winter Hill, part of the West Pennine Moors at Rivington, Chorley in Lancashire, England at an elevation of 363 metres. The wind up there was considerable.

Written records of ‘Roun Pike’ stretch back to 1280, though it is entirely feasible the Pike became part of England’s integral beacon defence network over a century earlier under the instigation of the Earl of Chester after the Scottish raids of 1138.

For the first time since getting my drone, I found another flyer and two of his mates - so a big hello to those guys - you're in the video!

Paul.

Reactions: RIR
The Pigeon Tower, Rivington, Lancashire.

A journey from the Ravine entrance at the foot of the hills up to the Pigeon tower. A pretty tough climb in parts but worth the effort.

Originally called the Lookout Tower, then the Dovecote Tower, the Pigeon Tower as it is now known was built between 1905 and 1909.

It was built in 1910 by Lord Leverhulme as part of his Rivington estate in Lever Park and stands at the north west edge of the Terraced Gardens. Thomas Mawson, the designer/landscape architect of the Gardens, liked to create a tall focal point in many of his landscapes, and the Italian Garden section of Rivington Terraced Gardens was no exception.

The Pigeon Tower remains standing today when so many other structures have been lost, purely through public calls for its preservation.

The restoration has allowed the tower to be brought back into use with visitors being able to go inside the tower, to see fireplace and top floor, and experience the spectacular views offered from inside on Open Days and Events.

Paul.

Hollinshead Hall Ruins & The Well House.

The hall ruins we see today are from 1776 when John Hollinshead built a new house on the site. It had previously been home to a large farmhouse, dating from over hundred years earlier. This was mostly demolished, making way for the new hall and probably the well house too.

The Well House, the least ruined part of Hollinshead Hall, Tockholes, according to local rumour, is associated with mysterious powers. Hollinshead Holy Well has a vague reputation of being haunted and also that its very pure water is good for eye troubles.

Hollinshead Hall is referred to in Twycross’ Mansions of England (1846), where the well-house is mentioned, said to have been formerly called ‘Thee Holy Spring’, and visited by pilgrims who came for the water.

Although not much of the original house is left today, you can still see the well-preserved remains of the hall’s well house. It’s a rather imposing building with metal bars at the windows and, even though you can’t go inside, you can still take a peek at the interior.

Paul.

Has anybody paired the V2 goggles with a Mini 3Pro yet?

I do fancy a pair :)

Martholme Viaduct, Great Harwood

The disused historic structure on the East Lancashire skyline was reopened to walkers in 2017 after having been closed for more than 16 years. Martholme Viaduct was reopened following six months of restoration work. The grade II-listed structure stands over the River Calder and allows wonderful views towards Simonstone, Accrington, Whalley and Great Harwood.

The 300 metre-long walkway was closed in 2001 following a foot and mouth outbreak.

The viaduct was completed in 1877 and consists of 10 rounded arches, each around 12 metres wide. It once served trains running on the North Lancashire Loop, also known as the Great Harwood Loop, a nine-mile route through the town, as well as Simonstone and Padiham. It last carried trains in 1964.

Part of the Netflix series "The Stranger" (Episode 4) was filmed on location here.

The viaduct was originally intended to be a wooden construction, but was eventually built of sandstone rubble.

Paul.

Moons Bridge Marina, Woodplumpton, Preston, Lancashire.

On a sunny but gusty afternoon, I flew around Moons Bridge Marina - a family run marina offering secure country moorings for over 100 boats on the Lancaster Canal. The Jackson family have been at Moons Bridge for over 20 years.

Moons Bridge Marina is a minor waterways place between the Ribble Link - Lancaster Canal Junction and Lodge Hill Junction (Junction with Lancaster Canal - Glasson Dock Branch).

The Lancaster Canal was planned at the end of the 18th century and was intended to run from Westhoughton to Kendal, however the full length was never completed. In 2002 the Millennium Ribble Link at Ingol in Preston was opened which finally, after a 200 year delay, connected the canal to the River Ribble and therefore access to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Stretching for over 40 lock free miles, the Lancaster Canal winds its way from Tewitfield in the north to Preston in the south.

Music: Drifting by Enya.

Paul.

Can anyone recommend a decent slimline case for the DJI mini 3 pro and it's RC controller please? Separate cases are fine, I don't need anything too beefy as they will both be in a camera bag most of the time

This is quite a nice way to go with the controller as it hardly adds any bulk.
Some of them hinge up to shade screen too
I have a similar one it doesn't hinge just lightly clips over on or off but I find it makes a useful little tray for gimbal guard and maybe phone if you need hotspot.

I've occasionally been asked by bystanders if they can see what I have filmed with the drone, so I place of pen and paper I ordered some business cards to hand out next time.

20230613_123244.jpg

Last edited:

Whittle Quarry (Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley) Mini 3 Pro.​

Hidden behind the trees beyond beautiful countryside dwellings (Hello Peter, nice to meet you...) you will find the large quarry at Hill Top Lane in Whittle-le-Woods near Chorley, that was once used to dispose of radioactive waste.

There is a fascinating read of the government documents here ( https://tinyurl.com/2zafpxy6 ) - and Whittle Quarry made the news when local schoolchildren were found trespassing around this dangerous deep water in 2020 - the very place were an unfortunate 13 year child drowned - his mother has been tirelessly campaigning for more safety measures to be put in place around quarries and reservoirs, as well as raising awareness over the dangers of swimming in such locations. As alluring as water can be in summer, these places should be avoided by would-be swimmers.

Music by Enya: Aníron

Paul.

I have just been speaking to Ray Addison on GB News who has asked for usage of some of this video on a report which should air on GB News television on Saturday June 17th (unless breaking news affects the broadcast).

Sadly, the story will be about summer deaths caused by drowning, but anything which helps raise awareness and reduces this kind of tragedy is worthwhile.

Paul.

This is quite a nice way to go with the controller as it hardly adds any bulk.
Some of them hinge up to shade screen too
I have a similar one it doesn't hinge just lightly clips over on or off but I find it makes a useful little tray for gimbal guard and maybe phone if you need hotspot.
Great, looks exactly what I was after, although it would be nice to have protection for the back of the controller too

Avenham Park (and the adjacent Miller Park) are grade II listed Victorian parklands located in the middle of the city centre of Preston and less than 10 minutes from Preston's rail and bus stations.

The award winning parks are set by the River Ribble with many features and historical points of interest such as Derby Walk, the Italianate Terrace and the Japanese rock garden. It is also the official start and end point of the Guild Wheel - a 21-mile walking and cycle route.

The natural amphitheatre in Avenham Park is the ideal spot for picnics, watching the world go by, and family games. The park's paths circle this large green space and offer serene views from all angles.

This includes views of the park's Japanese Rock Garden - a beautiful and exotic garden area created in the 1930s. The Japanese Rock Garden features a peaceful pond and areas to sit and reflect. There is also the Pavilion café, which is open every day of the week offering a range of food and refreshment.

Paul.

Last edited:
I just wish they (the CAA) could sort out the class marking system. I would buy a Mavic 3 Classic if I knew I could take advantage of the C1 class in the UK.
That is the dilemma I'm having at the moment as I was going to get my A2 certification then they said that wouldn't apply after January 2023 so when I saw the Mavic 3 was getting certified I thought I'll go for that. Then that wasn't happening and the A2 was back in action so thought I'll go for that thinking the training might be useful however I was looking through a practice exam and the questions seemed to be for specific details I can't see being any use for me as a hobbyist drone flyer. It's also irritating that even with the certification it's still more restrictive than someone with a sub-250g drone with the basic flyer ID.

I have considered going for a Mini 3 Pro but I pretty much only use the Mavic 2 for photography and dynamic range is important, the Mini 3 Pro has the smaller sensor and fixed aperture. If it could be flown without the controller I'd probably go for it as it would open up taking it more places on the bike or walking but that's not the case.

Admittedly I tend to fly in the countryside away from people and buildings so the 150m restriction isn't that much of an issue but I'd feel more comfortable flying the drone knowing it had less restrictions. The A2 course isn't expensive but I'm concerned it's going to take quite a chunk of time.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from people who have taken or are considering the A2 course.

Back