The GFX100 - Gamechanger or expensive gimmick

Another size comparison, this time to FF DSLR's with built in grips...

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fuji-gfx100-size-comparisons-and-new-tests/

OK it's big next to an A7 but it doesn't look any bigger than a FF DSLR with built in grip. That doesn't seem bad to me and in fact seems quite commendable given the increased format size.

And IBIS as well... There's some pretty top notch technology in there really, but at £10k, maybe one of the GX 50's is a more economical option ? (Like anything in this format is about economics!!!)

And IBIS as well... There's some pretty top notch technology in there really, but at £10k, maybe one of the GX 50's is a more economical option ? (Like anything in this format is about economics!!!)

The IBIS is the reason the made it so tall afaik. For a medium format sensor to have this feature, you need to have a lot of room to shift that huge sensor about or it's not going to be near as effective. Fuji are claiming it has up to 5.5 stops of stabilization, that's incredible for a MF camera. It's never been done before

The more I read or see about it, the more impressed I am. It's just ugly and I could never afford it so I'm salty :D

Last edited:
Specs are incredible. Thinking about it for very large landscape and studio prints. I’ve asked the local dealer for a test, he’s expecting it late June or early July.

This reminds me a lot of the Mamiya 7 MF cameras. Don't know why as they don't really share much in common but I think it's because they both that 'normal camera that's spent a bit too much time in the gym' appearance about them. I'd love to have a go with one of these.

One thing that intrigues me though, the IBIS. Does it not seem a bit strange that they've gone to such lengths to include it (I understand it forced the incorporation of the grip to provided space)? I would have assumed that this was aimed more at landscape or studio usage where IBIS doesn't really come into play. Just seems huge for a walk around type camera.

One thing that intrigues me though, the IBIS. Does it not seem a bit strange that they've gone to such lengths to include it (I understand it forced the incorporation of the grip to provided space)? I would have assumed that this was aimed more at landscape or studio usage where IBIS doesn't really come into play. Just seems huge for a walk around type camera.

I think that with a camera this bulky & heavy, IBIS will really help if you shoot handheld, and it gives it something different that others don't.

I have a log in my garden and I've "scooped out" some of it so when it lays on its side I hide food for the birds. I'd love to set one of these up 1-2m away from the log and remotely shoot what lands. The output could be stunning.....

Maybe, they introduced IBIS for the top model, and it will "trickle down" to the 50R/S.

It would make all more practical. One can get good IQ without a monopod (or a tripod).

I used to carry (and use) a monopod for the SONY A7. -

Mothers pick up their children, people go to the other side of the street. And at airports you get a lot of attention at security when it is in your hand luggage.

With the A7R2 with IBIS (used without monopod) these things don't happen any more ... ---

Got a chance to try this out today at wex open day event in London. They had a pre-production version and it's fricken AWESOME!!
Pixel peeping the shots was a wet dream come true :D
If I won the lottery I'll buy this first thing

Last edited:
can't wait to try... better buy a lottery ticket :)

Got a chance to try this out today at wex open day event in London. They had a pre-production version and it's fricken AWESOME!!
Pixel peeping the shots was a wet dream come true :D
If I won the lottery I'll buy this first thing
Played with the same one on Friday, considering what the sensor is I was surprised how small it was considering, thought it was good to hold if it isn't the best looking camera. AF seems very good, when I win the lottery.

There is a local tog to me that shoots with uber expensive hasslebladds, think they cost at the time in the region of £30-40k. Funny thing is, his work is absolutely woeful lol
All the gear....no idea....but plenty of money

Played with the same one on Friday, considering what the sensor is I was surprised how small it was considering, thought it was good to hold if it isn't the best looking camera. AF seems very good, when I win the lottery.

The AF is indeed rather good all things considered. even the IBIS was fairly effective but the smallest shake was easily picked up because of the high res.

I already have my "lottery" numbers, hopefully I'll win the million soon :D

Were I still working, I can think of a lot of reasons for having such a camera for Commercial and industrial and studio work. It is tiny compared to the Monorail kit I used to cart around. While focusing and face/Eye detect will never be quite as fast as a Full frame or an APS camera It is certainly usable hand held. Nor will the vast files ever be processed at the same speed as small files. so functions like high speed shooting will always be at a disadvantage.
But in all these things the GFX100 leaves all the medium format competitors far behind. and at a far better price... so what is not to like.

It will of course satisfactorily scratch the itch for many amateurs in their search for ultimate quality.
Initial demand has far out stripped the marketing departments expectations, so for all its idiosyncrasies. it has got a lot right for a lot of people.

For me... I can only dream....

Nor will the vast files ever be processed at the same speed as small files.

Give it a year or 2 and the 600MB files will be processed as fast as 135MB TIFFs from a D850 are now.

Give it a year or 2 and the 600MB files will be processed as fast as 135MB TIFFs from a D850 are now.

But think how fast the D850 files will be processed

A great camera alright, but surely the top of the range Canon or Nikon would be a much cheaper alternative.

102 MB's would require a lot of storage and a speedy computer for those huge juicy files.......... I'd still like one though.

Peter

Last edited:
A great camera alright, but surely the top of the range Canon or Nikon would be a much cheaper alternative.

Peter
top of the range Sony i.e. A7RIV is probably the closest cheaper alternative :)

A GFX50S would be a cheaper alternative :D

The 100S is at Cambrian Photography tomorrow with a Fujifilm rep between 10 and 4, for anyone who wants a little looky, fortunately I'm working away in Yorkshire, so I can't possibly be tempted with any GFX family member!

It’s only £9,499 from Digital Rev ;)

Last edited:
Still waiting for gfx100 stock to arrive here, very tempted. Gfx50R is already amazing for portraits and landscapes. @dancook I’ve converted from hasselblad

Ok spent an hour testing it out in the shop including with canon adapter....and pulled the trigger. Next job is night time art illumination project curious to see how it will perform.

Back