The girl next door..

Edit My Images
Yes
My neighbour came around yesterday and we made some pictures, she was a great model and I am happy with the images we got from the shoot. Thought I would share a few.. I think she did great!!

8730102297_3e2d3e6bac_b.jpg

8731220268_958b4dcfd7_b.jpg

8730102151_97283e334e_b.jpg

8734313944_e96d5014e9_b.jpg

8731221254_3bab5e7bf3_b.jpg

8731222436_b74d9bf349_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work.
I particularly like no.5.

Sorry to buck the trend here but they all look a little over the top in terms of the processing to me. It's just my opinion but I think they would look better if you had not went so heavy on the skin smoothing.

I'd agree that the skin smoothing is a little heavy, though I've been guilty of that myself in the past, but that aside they are lovely shots and really nicely lit.

One minor point, in 1 to 4 the mole under her mouth has been removed, in 5 and 6 it's there.

Nice work.

Last edited:
Cracking photos way better than I could ever do but I totally agree the skin is far to smooth but they are your images and obviously thats how you like them.

Inspiring stuff.

Gaz

Really like these, well done :clap:

I'd agree they are verging on the border, of being overdown, regarding skin smoothing, but that's a personal choice.

In number 4, I think it would be advisable to remove the bit of "bloodshot" from her eyes.

Thanks for the replies guys!... I appreciate all of your comments and critiques. I love that fact that with every shoot we can work to improve and hone our skills in terms of lighting, make up, posing our models, post production etc.... There are so many aspects to portrait photography that the learning curve is a sort of exponential arc... and that's what makes it so much fun. Cheers guys!

I'm with Soda Farl on this one. Far too much retouching.

#4 is about as far as I would go.

One minor point, in 1 to 4 the mole under her mouth has been removed, in 5 and 6 it's there.

Nice work.

I noticed that too.

She a very pretty girl, but as other have said just bit to much PP for my personal taste , but plenty others will love the shots.

Lovely images, Scott. I agree with some of the criticism regarding skin softening and the one with slightly bloodshot eyes (stunning eyes, by the way), but great work nonetheless.
I wish my neighbours looked like this :)

Fab pictures, but again, I agree with the above comments regarding the skin smoothing. But really lovely images!

I wasn't too bothered about the skin smoothing until someone mentioned it - what a beautiful model.

Just peeved Scott hasn't put his location:naughty:

Hey guys... again, thank you all for taking the time to comment.

In a response to skin smoothing I wanted to share my 5 step process to image 1.

Step 1. RAW

This is straight out of camera. As you can see, she has quite lovely skin to start with. Applying make up makes the job of retouching very quick and far more enjoyable.

8733569783_a032ca087f_b.jpg

Step 2. Blemish Removal. (Absolutely no skin smoothing/softening techniques applied)

8732915915_54024fb563_b.jpg

Just applying the healing brush and we are already pretty much there.

Step 3. Skin Smoothing / Dodge and Burn.

8732915979_63f680bca5_b.jpg

The skin smoothing was very very light, it was really just removing the unwanted blotches in the skin. I dodgedand burned to create a more specular highlights.

Step 4. Eyes bright and Mole removal.

8734031382_a8dea903ec_b.jpg

I was going to keep the mole, but I thought in this image it looked better without, just my thoughts!!

Step 5. Colour cast.

8732915995_cdfc11a67b_b.jpg

The "Maybelline" look.. ok I have a lot of work to do to get to that level lol, but this was the process. As you can see from just the simple blemish removal, we are almost there, her skin is already flawless. I just wanted to take it a few steps further.. some love it, some hate.. its the nature of internet forum discussion...

Anyhoo!! I thought you guys might have found this interesting!!

Last edited:
Well presented and informative response Scott, thank you.
There's always more than one camp where opinions are offered.
Personally, I think they are lovely images of a pretty lady, ultimately what does she think of them?

Your step by step response is very good, and informative.
Now I don't shoot portraits, but would like to ask about the mole and other blemish removal. I presume she is comfortable with have the small mole and it doesn't detract from her good looks at all so was this the models choice or yours, and the most important thing is she happy with the photos. ( she certainly should be happy)

Well presented and informative response Scott, thank you.
There's always more than one camp where opinions are offered.
Personally, I think they are lovely images of a pretty lady, ultimately what does she think of them?

She is over the moon with them and her mother cried.. in a nice way :).. so great response.

Your step by step response is very good, and informative.
Now I don't shoot portraits, but would like to ask about the mole and other blemish removal. I presume she is comfortable with have the small mole and it doesn't detract from her good looks at all so was this the models choice or yours, and the most important thing is she happy with the photos. ( she certainly should be happy)

Her mole is so insignificant that it's a none issue.. I felt that in some cases it was ok to stay, but it depended on the position of her head. She looks beautiful with or without, I don't think it bothers her either way. :)

I agree with the trend regarding the skin, but all that matters is how she feels about it and she clearly loves them

Well done

These are great shots well done really sharp and fresh

Seen you posted back so thought it only right to comment back. Great info you provided.Oh and by the way I am no expert by a long chalk (you are streets ahead of anything I could produce)

Again personal pref I wouldnt have touched the skin looking as it did other than blemish removal.
Take with a pinch of salt though as i'm a Plasterer and just take photos/snaps for fun ;-)

Gaz

Great inspiring stuff.

I was SURE I had commented on this the day you posted it but I can't see nothing lol.

Anyway great set, lovely model , love no2!

As you can see from just the simple blemish removal, we are almost there, her skin is already flawless. I just wanted to take it a few steps further.. some love it, some hate.. its the nature of internet forum discussion...

Anyhoo!! I thought you guys might have found this interesting!!

I do like your pictures - they are nice.
However.....the artificial highlighting on the cheeks that you added I feel is a little bit of a cop out. I dunno I just feel like the photo you took to start wasn't very technical , and then you v done a crap load of PP to account for it.

I do like your pictures - they are nice.
However.....the artificial highlighting on the cheeks that you added I feel is a little bit of a cop out. I dunno I just feel like the photo you took to start wasn't very technical , and then you v done a crap load of PP to account for it.

L O flipping L

That is a terrible attempt at trolling..

But I appreciated the laugh!! Cheers neo

Processing is way over the top and does not do your post processing any justice - it just proves you can skin smooth but you cannot do it in a way to help the shot.

Thanks a million for sharing the shots and your touch-up process, Scott. I do agree that in this case less touching up would have been better, but hey this is how we improve! :)

Lovely photo's but she looks plastic to me. Tone the PP down and they would be great.

Great photos. Some really fantastic tight shot portrait photos, however my own opinion is that they look a little fake, too much skin smoothing. Colours look great, lighting perfect and in every picture I love that her eyes pop and really stand out. Great pictures!!

Back