The Girl Next Door

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Next doors little girl was going out to a doo this afternoon. She had her hair done and was borrowing make up off of the girl over the road all excited she were. Me ! Well I was watering my plants at the time :)
Anyways I were chatting away to her Mum when for some reason I said if she wanted a few photos taking I could have a try but couldnt promise anything, blow me she was back round at ours 10 mins later :-(
Got real nervous then as i'm not used to photographing other peeps other than family.
Anyways I took these
Sorry for posting this many as I know it can be boring but I would like as much help as poss.

In the first 2 I had Mum hold a reflector to the side left and small softbox to right. (Speedlight in box)
In 3rd I had soft box above and reflector held below, looking now though I cant see the light in top of eye. Did I do wrong?
In 4 softbox reflector as in number 1and 2 Never shot full length so this was odd.
In 5 asked Mum to jump in as I hadnt a clue what else to do. She was not ready for this and not going to the doo but she is a great sport. Still had reflectoer below and light above.
In 6 Natural light outside when finished.
In 7 I used the reflector below and softbox above.I think I went about these 2 people shots wrongly and am assuming that this type of light is not used on certain people. Am I correct or way off the mark?

All feedback is most wellcomed.

Gaz

Dressing_gown_2169.jpg

IMG_2190_side_light_reflector.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2196_standing.jpg

IMG_2219_kiss.jpg

IMG_2237_outside.jpg

IMG_2226_mm_olivia.jpg

Last edited:
Not boring at all as all seem good to me with possible exception of the ones with mum which seem more posed. To me the solo ones are of a lovely, happy little girl.

I would be more than than happy to have got these.

Have you considered B&w? Especially for 2 and 3?

I think you have done a great job. Be very surprised if one of these did not get pride of place on the neighbours mantle piece. Well done. 1 & 2 are my favourites.

Really nice set, you're worrying without any reason. As said above, mum and dad will be very happy to receive these.

Not boring at all as all seem good to me with possible exception of the ones with mum which seem more posed. To me the solo ones are of a lovely, happy little girl.

I would be more than than happy to have got these.

Have you considered B&w? Especially for 2 and 3?
Thanks Chris much appreciate the time taken to reply.
Black and white ? I have not tried, as a rule I prefer colour that is to say when I see other folks Black and white images they look fab but when I try to convert I am seldom happy with them.
I think you have done a great job. Be very surprised if one of these did not get pride of place on the neighbours mantle piece. Well done. 1 & 2 are my favourites.
Thanks Lawrie. That would be nice if one were on display.
Really nice set, you're worrying without any reason. As said above, mum and dad will be very happy to receive these.
Thanks Ian. Thats a great thing to hear.

Gaz

....................................Black and white ? I have not tried, as a rule I prefer colour that is to say when I see other folks Black and white images they look fab but when I try to convert I am seldom happy with them......................

Gaz

Have you considered watching this video:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...nd-white-eileen-rafferty.595869/#post-6959893

Could be of help ....

Also ... if you really want to develop B&W skills then try:

http://bthedigitalmonochromeforum.runboard.com/

I've been on that site for maybe two years now and I'm still learning loads - and gradually getting better at B&W

Last edited:
They gotta be well chuffed with these. The girl is obviously a natural model which always helps ;)
Hi Ian. Thanks for that. You are quite correct the little girl is deffinatly a camera magnet. As I don't have the skill to direct/pose people :-(

Gaz

Have you considered watching this video:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...nd-white-eileen-rafferty.595869/#post-6959893

Could be of help ....

Also ... if you really want to develop B&W skills then try:

http://bthedigitalmonochromeforum.runboard.com/

I've been on that site for maybe two years now and I'm still learning loads - and gradually getting better at B&W
Thanks Chris I will take a look at those links.

Gaz

Last edited:
Hope you get something out of them:)

Back