The Good Old Days

This has just reminded me of a game we used to play: "Split the Kipper".
That is exactly what I was getting at except it was usually played in pairs.

We had the same game but played the other way.
As above.

We called it batter and it was thrown in free infact may chippys round here still do.
"Scrapings" Here. I've not seen it in years, we don't even have proper fish and chip shops any more ( remember when they used to shut Sunday & Monday?)
It all multi food, kebabs, southern fried chicken...
Now its about £8-£9 per portion
It's at least that for fish, here, ( any) and something like a fiver for the chips.

Scraps or gribbles here (batter splashes!)

Saturday morning, toodle of to the ABC Minors picture show. 6d (2.5p) to get in and you got a Dan Dare film, a cowdie film, a couple of cartoons.
So blooming noisy I don't think we ever heard the whole film!

Saturday morning, toodle of to the ABC Minors picture show. 6d (2.5p) to get in and you got a Dan Dare film, a cowdie film, a couple of cartoons.
Some you could get in for two jam jars. I think it was a way for parents to get rid of us for acouple of hours while they did something grown up like cleaning the fridge out at least that what my dad called it.

Some you could get in for two jam jars. I think it was a way for parents to get rid of us for acouple of hours while they did something grown up like cleaning the fridge out at least that what my dad called it.
I was in my 50's before I realised why my sister and I were packed of to Sunday School for a couple of hours! :banana:

For me it was the Odean Hammersmith

A half crown (2shillings & 6d) was for return bus fare, cinema ticket and snacks....and I think some change leftover.

I recall the TV program, from the USA, “The Hitchcock Half Hour” with of course, Alfred Hitchcock, fab ;)

There would be a drawing of him on a wall, his head and chin and stomach. He would walk on and fit the drawing, then turn to face the camera, and say “ Good evening “

Last edited:
For me it was the Odean Hammersmith

A half crown (2shillings & 6d) was for return bus fare, cinema ticket and snacks....and I think some change leftover.
Ah that brought back a long forgotten memory , there was a film out back in the day called “ the tingler “ it featured a special effect a worm like monster came out of the side next to the screen travelled around the auditorium on a wire and went back in the other side . It was well advertised and I think every lad in hackney went to see it .. complete with there air pistols . It literally disintegrated before it got round . LOL

And who can forget…

Danger Man with Patrick McGoohan, The Avengers, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman.
The Champions.
Opportunity Knocks and The Black and White Minstrel Show!

I recall the TV program, from the USA, “The Hitchcock Half Hour” with of course, Alfred Hitchcock, fab ;)

There would be a drawing of him on a wall, his head and chin and stomach. He would walk on and fit the drawing, then turn to face the camera, and say “ Good evening “

Alfred Hitchcock Presents is often on SkyArts now. Good to see some actors who became more famous later appearing in episodes.

Dave

And it was normal to drink water out of a hosepipe.

Dave

Fish and chips wrapped in newspaper.
Sterling currency with farthings, halfpennies, thruppeny bits, tanners, florins and half crowns
when decimalised, there was originally a decimal half pence.
buses with rear platforms and conductors in Manchester, (and other nearby areas), they were known as guards.
Trolleybuses
Steam trains on mainline British railways (the last to Waterloo in 1967, the last of all, the 15 Guinea Special in 1968)
Compartment railway carriages and jokes about how awful British Rail was
My first PC, an Amstrad, which didn't even have a hard drive
Policemen on point duty and the beat.
Four channels on the TV and Betamax video recorders
The Sinclair C5

Last edited:
And who can forget…

Danger Man with Patrick McGoohan, The Avengers, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman.
The Champions.
Opportunity Knocks and The Black and White Minstrel Show!

I'd take (well, would have, back then!) Diana Rigg over Honour Blackman... Still enjoy the silliness!

Radio comedy, especially I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. After the episode 20,000 Leeks Under the Sea, the Jules Verne novel was part of our English Literature course, and excerpts read out loud in class kept referring to the Naughty Lass

kids series from the 60s "singing ringing tree" scared the bejebus out of me,
still does !

The scariest Dr. Who for me was the 'Green Death' although I might also be mixing up several different Series in my memory.

Talking about being scared by a TV series how about Quatermass and the Pit from the late 1950s?

The film is on occasionally, it does does tend to be late at night, but I'm sure you would be allowed to stay up now :D

When Orson Wells' War of the Worlds was broadcast on the radio in 1938, there were reports of mass suicides and stampeeds,
People believing it to be true.

View: https://youtu.be/Xs0K4ApWl4g

Jeff Wayne's versions was better :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YwFvmnbj3E&list=PLFV_pTSMduaURY4rVeOeWDCIWcgdAW7PZ

We had the same game but played the other way.

We started with our feet together and you had throw the knife just outside one of the other lads feet. He had to then move his foot to where the knife was and then it was his turn to throw the knife just outside one of your feet. As the game continued the feet got further and further apart until you(or the other lad) fell over. Whoever fell first lost the game.

I'd never thought about it before but there never seemed to be any problem from the school staff with kids bringing knives , admittedly small ones, to school.

Dave

'Thinking about it, I think we played the game that way as well. I don't recall anybody bringing a knife into our school but it was a madhouse to the point they brought in this bodybuilding headmaster from Scotland to sort it out. Mr McHugh he was called. When it got particularly out of hand, he'd turn up at the end of a corridor ripping apart those Yellow Pages books for everyone to see in an attempt to instill discipline.

I get that it's a UK-based meme, but 'pasta wasn't invented'? :ROFLMAO:

I was brought up in a mining village in County Durham and I reckon the first time I heard of pasta's existence was around 1993 when I went to university (some of the posher lads from other parts of the country used to cook it). We grew up on stews and broths and so pasta was completely alien to us and dare I say un-English, at least in the part of England I come from anyway. 'Still don't bother with pasta now, 'probably eaten it once or twice when I was starving and there was not much else on a menu. I've never bought and cooked it. 'Not my type of food at all, 'still broths and stews for me.

'Just thought I'd randomly add that my Grandad used to eat pig's trotters with salt and pepper on them. He loved them. It was not borne out of poverty. In the mining villages in those days, everybody had a wage coming in, everybody grew their own vegetables and had hens for eggs and the like, plenty of rabbits knocking around for rabbit pie. He just loved them!

Has anyone mentioned sell-by dates on food packaging? I'm too young for that but I'd imagine a few on here will remember the days before food came with sell-by dates?

before food came with sell-by dates?
My gran never had a fridge, just a larder with a marble shelf. I remember one time looking at some bacon and asking her if it was ok.

"Is it greeny bronze or bronzy green" was her reply.

My gran never had a fridge, just a larder with a marble shelf. I remember one time looking at some bacon and asking her if it was ok.

"Is it greeny bronze or bronzy green" was her reply.

Aye, it's a scam isn't it. My Mam eats loads of stuff well past the sell-by date. She's from a time when they smelt it and looked at it, and made the choice from there.

Aye, it's a scam isn't it. My Mam eats loads of stuff well past the sell-by date. She's from a time when they smelt it and looked at it, and made the choice from there.
Lol my mams the same if it can walk out of the fridge on its own its time to get rid. I see they are starting to phase sell by and best before dates out now.

My Mam eats loads of stuff well past the sell-by date. She's from a time when they smelt it and looked at it, and made the choice from there.
I do that, ( both of those) ever since opening something "well within dates" that was obviously off.

Don't be fooled by a fresh jar of mayonnaise though - sniff that straight after opening and it smells like a Dutch oven!!!

Back