The Great Meteorological Thread

Dear Southern hemisphere, please can we have summer back. NOW, not in 6 months time, please.

Dear Southern Hemisphere, please disregard nods last request, I quite like it being so cold and dark that all the kids are in their house screaming instead of outside and that there's not a rowdy bbq going on til the early hours every frickin weekend.

Brought to you by the daily grump. ;)

People here at Kent might be interested to know that I've recorded only 2 mm of rain so far this April - that's less than 5% of the April average - and this is after a much drier than average Winter (less than 20% average rainfall).

Unless we go onto having a properly soaking wet May and June, I can see water restrictions being put in place very soon - if not already.

Dear Southern Hemisphere, please disregard nods last request, I quite like it being so cold and dark that all the kids are in their house screaming instead of outside and that there's not a rowdy bbq going on til the early hours every frickin weekend.

Brought to you by the daily grump. ;)

I'm with you on that one what with me living in an upcoming coastal resort (Folkestone).

Unless we go onto having a properly soaking wet May and June, I can see water restrictions being put in place very soon - if not already.
:wave:
Good to see you posting in here again Ian (y)
But as I don't live in Kent "its not my problem" :D

Funnily enough I was talking about this recently, even in MK-on-Mud it seems that its been "quite dry" this winter.
(Unscientifically proven though )

:wave:
Good to see you posting in here again Ian (y)
But as I don't live in Kent "its not my problem" :D

Funnily enough I was talking about this recently, even in MK-on-Mud it seems that its been "quite dry" this winter.
(Unscientifically proven though )

Afternoon Mr Cobra. :D Yes, it has been a while. I still lurk about in TP but thought I'd blow the dust off this thread.

What's the betting that as soon as we go into Summer proper with the commencement of the European monsoon at end of May/beginning of June (I do believe there is such a thing), once the taps are turned on, they won't turn off?

Hey guys, I work for a company that manufactures professional grade met instruments and weather stations and we haven't recorded anything ... ever :) We measure the weather all the time but don't keep any records.

Actually, that's not quite true because our lightning boffin is a nerd and likes to look at old data so has built up quite a library of the stuff.

Outside the office we have just about every type of met instrument you can imagine - visibility, lightning, rainfall, temperature, humidity, wind speed & direction ... the list goes on ... and on ... and on ... and on

Hey guys, I work for a company that manufactures professional grade met instruments and weather stations and we haven't recorded anything ... ever :) We measure the weather all the time but don't keep any records.

Actually, that's not quite true because our lightning boffin is a nerd and likes to look at old data so has built up quite a library of the stuff.

Outside the office we have just about every type of met instrument you can imagine - visibility, lightning, rainfall, temperature, humidity, wind speed & direction ... the list goes on ... and on ... and on ... and on

It's a bit like me having worked as a tomato farmer for almost two decades so there were all the fruit I could have helped myself to . . . only I cannot stand the taste and even smell of tomatoes.

But on the other hand. I'd quite fancy working at your place! I do get a bit miffed buying cheap weather stations from Maplins only for them to succumb to the elements a few months later. :banghead:

Last edited:
I do get a bit miffed buying cheap weather stations from Maplins only for them to succumb to the elements a few months later. :banghead:

I use the Lidl ones. I make sure the outdoors sensor is sited so it can't get rained on and they seem to last for 3-4 years before going tits up.

WRT restrictions, the local news has been saying that although the local reservoirs are at only 85% of capacity, works to repair old, leaky pipes mean that we shouldn't be facing a hose pipe ban. Probably means there'll be one next week!!!

I use the Lidl ones. I make sure the outdoors sensor is sited so it can't get rained on and they seem to last for 3-4 years before going tits up.

WRT restrictions, the local news has been saying that although the local reservoirs are at only 85% of capacity, works to repair old, leaky pipes mean that we shouldn't be facing a hose pipe ban. Probably means there'll be one next week!!!

I'll be coming up to 50 soon so I might treat myself to a proper station kit, like LaCrosse or Oregon.

What I am wondering is as new housing estates are springing up all over the place at an alarming rate to cope with an ever rising population, is the water infrastructure being upgraded to keep up with increased demand?

Once we are "out" of Europe, I don't think they'll let us have it TBH :D

Long range weather experts are suggesting most of Europe may have a warmer and drier than normal summer, apart from Great Britain and parts of Scandinavia. I'll blame Brexit for that. :eek:

I'll be coming up to 50 soon so I might treat myself to a proper station kit, like LaCrosse or Oregon.

What I am wondering is as new housing estates are springing up all over the place at an alarming rate to cope with an ever rising population, is the water infrastructure being upgraded to keep up with increased demand?

A friend haD an expensive Oregon setup until the outdoor sensor/sender leaked and was FUBAR. Did have the wind speed and direction (which the Lidl things I have don't) but other than that, didn't do anything special. Of course, it's quite easy to make a rain shade for the outdoor sender, although that could possibly affect the hygrometer readings.

Not so much KEEP up as CATCH up. Rather than upgrade the system to cope, they seem to fix the problems excessive demand causes when they happen.

Well, his hot air, at least.

I've bought an extra duvet & few bags of charcoal briquettes.
/ 15 tog duvet ordered off ebay :D
Perhaps I'll be able to photograph polar bears without heading to south Yorkshire soon too (y)

Back