The Great Meteorological Thread

Did I catch a lenticular cloud yesterday?

cloud formation by scilly puffin, on Flickr

The pic doesn't really do it justice, it was quite an impressive cloud.

Indeed you did - and a nice example of it, too.

Things are going to be on the move once again for those living over Northern and Western part of Scotland tomorrow as a compact but active low pressure system skim by to the north of the UK.
But for the rest of the UK, especially towards Southern and Eastern parts, it's basically going to be a week of varied cloud amounts and bright spells with rainfall amounts expecting to be on the frugal side with temperatures sticking close to average values. However, it may tend to become cooler later on in the week as winds swing around in from the east (but too late in the winter season for deep cold and snow).

(but too late in the winter season for deep cold and snow).

Famous last words Ian, I remember getting heavy snow at Easter a few years back, was heading to Brands for the Transatlantic trophy but the cancelled
so build a snowman in the south downs instead ;)

Famous last words Ian, I remember getting heavy snow at Easter a few years back, was heading to Brands for the Transatlantic trophy but the cancelled
so build a snowman in the south downs instead ;)

Indeed, while snow/cold slow become the exception rather than the norm at this time of the year, especially at this end of the UK, our climate still has hidden surprises up its sleeves.

Hmmm what happened, yesterday it was lovely, sunny and warm, spring at last.........................................but no today cloudy and cold :(

Ian....being the weather god of TP...could you please clear the skies tomorrow morning?

Ta :)

Ian....being the weather god of TP...could you please clear the skies tomorrow morning?

Ta :)

:D Hi Viv! I tried my best but the Kent Weather Shield just wouldn't work. Indeed, as well forecast by me, total cloud cover had scuppered our chances of viewing the partial eclipse this morning, instead I had to make do with watching live feeds on the telly or internet . . .

Eclipse_zps3lezqk9t.jpg~original

I had a few breaks in the cloud up near Sheffield this morning,
not brilliant, more reference shots than anything.
Shot with my little Canon sx520 on A (for Awsome :D )
No filters, I just waited for it to peek through, and fired away.

View attachment 33139

View attachment 33140

I had a few breaks in the cloud up near Sheffield this morning,
not brilliant, more reference shots than anything.
Shot with my little Canon sx520 on A (for Awsome :D )
No filters, I just waited for it to peek through, and fired away.

View attachment 33139

View attachment 33140

Those are excellent captures, far better than I have. :D

Now there is the Post Eclipse Comedown . . .

Mooning_zps2fdh8jpy.jpg~original

Those are excellent captures, far better than I have. :D
It was very curious the colour the sky went, too, thats pretty much true to life, but no doubt slightly saturated due to the fact that I was using a bridge camera.
And it was preceded by an excellent example of a dog sun too, but that only showed when I was wearing sun glasses, it didn't show in camera, unfortunately.

Chris the second one is especially fab.

Really can't believe the weather behaved, these were taken whist showing my daughters school of 90ish the live image via eos utility, I kept taking pictures as they were watching clouded right over after the most cover and the final bottom right shot came as a little spot in the cloud opened up.

eclipse montage by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Chris the second one is especially fab.
Thanks Ruth :)

the final bottom right shot came as a little spot in the cloud opened up.
Cracking set Michael, that last one looks awfully familiar :p
Then I remembered, we probably weren't that far apart at that time ;)

Evenin' all and hope y'all having a good weekend so far.

Thought I'd let you know that I have compiled a "farmer's" forecast, it covers the whole of the UK for the next seven days starting Sun 22nd March. It is quite a long read so best make yourselves a cup of brew first . . . http://thecloudmaster.webs.com/

Well, what an awful change in Edmonton, AB today.

Yesterday, several places broke the heat record for this time of year; and us in the Chuck were basking in 16c weather. And we were all thinking of Spring and getting on the patio's.

Then today, it's currently 0c, with a windchill factor of -6c, wind gusts of 56kmh and the prospect of around 2 to 4 cms of snow accumulation on the ground.

It's grim out there!

Persid Shower time 2300 tonight - look NE - anyone else hoping to get this...

No chance with the cloud cover in Kent :(

. . . and not to mention the thunder and torrential rain here at Folkestone this morning, although New Romney was hit harder.
Well, you weren't going to see many meteors at that time of day anyway....

Your thoughts with whats happend in Mexico Ian?

Hi Kevin. She was a very short lived feature with a tight eyehole. In the space of just 48 hours, she went from being a tropical depression to as a Category 5 hurricane with a 879 mb centre low pressure producing 200 mph sustained winds while still over the warm ocean surface back to as a weakening tropical low with 35 mph breeze the moment she made landfall. It proved clearly that the storm system was totally reliant on warm seas, in other words, a surface based feature rather than being powered by the jet stream.
The core (around the eyewall) which contained the worst of the wind that did affect the coastline was only 15 miles wide and the evacuation plan went well where no fatalities were reported.
However, we won't be hearing the last of it as the remnant low pressure will go onto producing more heavy rain over the Texas region in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Just seen the weeks forecast. Dropping down toward minus 10 this week. About time we had some winter, I'm sick fed up of rain and grey days. Be nice to see some frosty robins around the place :D

Hopefully we'll get a few dry days first so the roads aren't turned into ice rinks.

Curiously I saw more sun dogs ( dog suns? @Ian D J ) Satuarday, in the chilterns than I have ever seen before, they kept appearing and fading,
two and then 3 at once, but I was too slow it was there and gone.

It also produced the first snow of the winter down this way, about 1.5ins over night

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

Curiously I saw more sun dogs ( dog suns? @Ian D J ) Satuarday, in the chilterns than I have ever seen before, they kept appearing and fading,

It also produced the first snow of the winter down this way, about 1.5ins over night

View attachment 54773

View attachment 54774

Hi Chris! Indeed, those are mock suns (or sun dogs) - and a very vivid example - all caused by sunlight from the setting sun refracting through ice crystals that makes up cirrostratus cloud.

*Cough* Cor, look at the dust in this thread due to neglect. Mind you, I have been neglecting my photography - and this site - as I become more of a lurker rather than a poster. Shame on me, but don't worry, I won't be too far away.

Last edited:

View attachment 54773

View attachment 54774
Beautiful. I saw one too on Saturday.
Thought it was a bit odd this time of the year....

Beautiful. I saw one too on Saturday.
Thought it was a bit odd this time of the year....
Cheers Andy, & I've never really thought about "the time of year" TBH.

I don't know why, but I thought they only came out to play in the summer!!
Perhaps @Ian D J can spread a *cough* bit of light on the subject?

This was late afternoon, well that is a couple of hours before dark, about 34oF no wind and over the top of the Chiltern hills in Beds.

:D If anything, they are more common in the winter due to the lower afternoon sun and more in the way of "ice" based clouds (cirrus and cirrostratus).

:D If anything, they are more common in the winter due to the lower afternoon sun and more in the way of "ice" based clouds (cirrus and cirrostratus).
Now that you put it like that, it makes perfect sense!!

Long time no speak Ian...
Hope you're well buddy

Now that you put it like that, it makes perfect sense!!

Long time no speak Ian...
Hope you're well buddy

:) I am very well, thanks! Just plodding along and taking each day as they come along, as we all do. Hope it's the same at your end.

As for the weather thing, so far I've missed out on the big rains in December and more recently the bit of snow, but I am glad that this winter so far is being benign in nature at this end - much more preferable than the horrendous winter of 2014. Feels like I'm still recovering from that.

Here's hoping that I do get to see some of the white stuff as we go into February, it does bring out the kid in me.

Back