The Hubble Telescope....

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
.... Has a focal length of 57.6 metres. That's a 57,600mm lens.

It's a bit slow though, f24 at its widest!

Mind boggling numbers.

so why did they make it 57.6 metres insted of 60?
f/24 makes sense - that would be 60/24 = 1.66 metres across
at least they'll avoid diffraction effects

and I guess they don't need a tripod - just as well as it must weigh several tons

so why did they make it 57.6 metres insted of 60?
f/24 makes sense - that would be 60/24 = 1.66 metres across
at least they'll avoid diffraction effects

and I guess they don't need a tripod - just as well as it must weigh several tons

its kinda space borne, support is irrelevant :p

Must be a pain looking for the ikkle SD slot on a thing that size.

considering the size of space itself, the hubble would appear like a P&S in comparison :D

the focal length is 188.9ft long

does it have picture styles? or a sports mode? live view?

(im just waiting for the olympus owners to start debating the merits of a four thirds system and how it will improve the hubble telescope no ends) :)

Last edited:
thats a crazy ammount of numbers there !! ull be happy to know it weighs (on earth) 11,110 kg (24,500 lb)

I'm going to be extremely pedantic here and say it's mass would be 11,110 kg anywhere, space the lot :)

My pointless post of the day...

hee hee surely they could have found one more kilo somewhere!

the bokeh on that beast must be amazing!

That then only leaves me to ask if it has IF? Always good to know if I can add a polarising filter!

Joking aside, I do wonder how stable it actually is in space if not under the influences of gravity or orbital movement? If it actually does take long exposures of deep space, it must have an amazing guidance system!

Last edited:
That then only leaves me to ask if it has IF? Always good to know if I can add a polarising filter!

Joking aside, I do wonder how stable it actually is in space if not under the influences of gravity or orbital movement? If it actually does take long exposures of deep space, it must have an amazing guidance system!

What do you suppose is going to de-stabilise it... ? :)

Aww come on Lucy, haven't you seen the news lately, Sterling and Dollar are very unstable at the moment.:p

Good answer ... (y) ..... :D

Last edited:
This took just under 1,000,000 secs exposure time from Hubble. It features about 10,000 galaxies and is my favourite photograph ever.

That's because they used a flash for that one :D

I like the fact you can download the original 145mb file!!!

Back