The Hunt is on!

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
With less than 3 weeks to go, I finally got my hunting licence, is anyone else going?

6rbib2-3751613357.jpg

Hips aren't good enough to chase them round the peaks these days so I'll have to make do with the boneless ones. Bit of a trek to their natural habitat too.

We're going full on safari mode this year, fed up trawling through wet heather so booked with a commercial hunt. Shooting from the back of a landy is a far better prospect lol

How do you tell the difference between hairy knees and a haggis at close range?

How do you tell the difference between hairy knees and a haggis at close range?
I give in, How do you tell the difference between hairy knees and a haggis at close range?

The haggis doesn't have a sporran on its head! (It wears a rather fetching beret, I'm told)

So, what method does the collective recommend for despatching the not quite so wee and timorous beastie?
I was contemplating using a small bore shotgun loaded with a spice and salt mixture rather than shot. Early experiments with (1) a 12 bore loaded with lead, (2) a 12 bore loaded with the spicy salt (Himalayan rock salt) and (3) a 410 loaded with steel weren't a success. #1 resulted in a large smear, and #2 was rather over-seasoned. #3 had the advantage of easy shot removal (with a large magnet) and less smearing than the larger shell, so I'd hope that the 410 salt/spice combination might be the happy medium.

So, what method does the collective recommend for despatching the not quite so wee and timorous beastie?
Fen MKVI a clean kill (y)

I've gone the shotgun route so the beastie's pre-minced. Trapping leaves all the messy work for Mrs Nod to do before cooking and serving.

As a native of Glasgow I was told very early on that all this stuff about haggis hunting is nae richt.

What actually happens is that the haggis is lured to a suitable area, such as Bearsden, by the promise of a swally. Haggis are trusting creatures and never pass up the chance to get stoater, so the hunters put their nets on the ground, around what looks like a lake full of the cratur. As soon as enough of the haggis are on the nets, they're pulled up, skelped to weesht them and taken away for processing.

So now ye ken whit's whit.

Piper in Cemetry.jpg

They have now realised that Burns night is fast approaching, and the annual migration south has started.

dymvy5yy5xl51-2014292597.jpg

They have a little climb when they get down here but that's helped by the fact that they're shrink wrapped...

Easiest way to fool a Haggis, is to turn them round on the hill, so that they fall over. Sometimes you can poach a Haggis here in Northumberland, especially when they stray around the wrong side of The Cheviot and end up with the Rievers chasing them.

I have a tin of Haggis waiting for Burns night. (Yes I know tinned Haggis)

I have a tin of Haggis waiting for Burns night. (Yes I know tinned Haggis)

No worse than the Simon Howies plastic wrapped ones that we get from Sainsbury's (but harder to catch when they start heading downhill)

I've sent Mrs Nod out on a trial stalk of both a real haggis and a heavier one (without lights...) IF she manages to get to their local haunt, I expect she may continue the hunt to its natural (if plastic wrapped!) conclusion.

I've sent Mrs Nod out on a trial stalk of both a real haggis and a heavier one (without lights...) IF she manages to get to their local haunt, I expect she may continue the hunt to its natural (if plastic wrapped!) conclusion.

It seems the recce turned into a successful hunt, with both varieties clubbed to submission with a Nectar card. There appears to be at least one small egg too - about the same shape and size as a neep to serve 2.

Have really hit rock bottom. Just got some Aldi Haggis.

418531277_856347799833250_6600104859417488559_n.jpg

Damn things are invading West Sussex, found this one enjoying the sun on my car bonnet

53463170946_2326b5ca37.jpg

Less than 10 days, so not so much a resurrection as a restart!

Beasties procured, prepared etc. and awaiting final preparation BUT, as usual, we'll be eating out tomorrow evening so we'll be partaking a day late, Is this acceptable?

Less than 10 days, so not so much a resurrection as a restart!

Beasties procured, prepared etc. and awaiting final preparation BUT, as usual, we'll be eating out tomorrow evening so we'll be partaking a day late, Is this acceptable?
Aye, in this fast paced 'on the go' world it's quite acceptable to celebrate on a day of your choosing. I personally will be partaking at the weekend.
I have two wild caught Haggi and a couple of days hanging will improve the flavour no end.

Y
Aye, in this fast paced 'on the go' world it's quite acceptable to celebrate on a day of your choosing. I personally will be partaking at the weekend.
I have two wild caught Haggi and a couple of days hanging will improve the flavour no end.
Yes, you have to be flexible. We celebrate New Year's Eve with the Australians. They have their NYE in the afternoon. Saves us having to stay up late.

Stabbity, stabbity with the black blade!

Back