The importance of RAW?

the bit I found weird was
Here's a biggie: you do not have to photograph on the least compressed setting when you photograph JPG to get the best image quality! I normally photograph weddings and portraits of groups of 3 or less in medium JPG on my Canon 20D. You will not be able to tell the difference — regardless of how large you print — between the "high" and "medium" settings!

Why? Because you are still taking all the information from the sensor and it is being oversampled. I did not realize this until I spoke to my friend, Claude Jodoin. Claude is a technical editor and contributor to several professional digital imaging magazines, as well as an equipment tester/reviewer. He told me to try it on a wedding with 2 cameras. So I took (back then) 2 Canon 10D, and shot the altar groups twice: once with a camera set at High JPG and the other set at Medium JPG. I then returned to my studio and made a file 16x20 @ 268 dpi. I printed an 11x14 section of this image on my Fuji 4000 printer. The two prints were indistinguishable!

Back