The Isle of Arran

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't post very often in here because I don't very often have shots worthy of posting, the standard of landscape shooting here is stunning, but just occasionally an odd shot looks ok. This was taken on the beach at Pirnmill on the Isle of Arran, I was taking in the evening air with my beloved wife and hadn't taken a camera....:banghead: Fortunately she had her little Panasonic TZ with her and I swiftly nicked it and took this, it only lasted about 30 seconds so quite lucky really.

Hole-in-the-sky by Andy, on Flickr

For this one I had my Fuji X-T1 and 18-55mm lens, Holy Island off the coast of Lamlash.

Holy-Island3 by Andy, on Flickr

And last but not least a film shot taken with my Rolleiflex on Kodak Portra 400.

Sun-and-Sea-P400 by Andy, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome.

Andy

Oh well, looks like I was wrong and these are as crap as normal. :( :D

Sometimes it's a tough shift capturing the effecty of what you are experiencing, and we've all been there. The sun shining through the clouds in the first one is classic stuff, but you have to accept that the highlight will be totally blown and a lot of people don't like that. The second one is a bit too wide and I think the composition might benefit from a crop to take out the land and boats on the RHS and maybe a bit of the water at the bottom. The photo was taken with the sun very high in the sky and that's led to a lack of detail in the island itself, so I'd maybe try lightening the shadows in your program and see if you can put a bit more detail there. Third one is a bit like the first, but some saturation might help the sky. If you've got Lightroom you could try adding an ND filter on the sky to tone it down a bit, but probably worth playing with them anyway to see if you prefer any of the effects.

Thanks for your thoughts Peter, all very valid, I shall have a bit of tweak at them later.
I understand what you are saying about the blown highlights but I'm not sure what can be done about that... its the Sun and its pretty much all highlights. :D
The crop on the second makes sense, I wanted to try and keep the clouds but it is a bit too wide as it stands.

Cheers

Andy

Hey Peter...dont get down. The long view Ive taken over the years is to REALLY concentrate when looking thru the viewfinder and concentrate a tad on the edges of the image and wonder if that adds anything...bushes at the bottom are a no, no. Also think when you compose, "Can I crop this image latter to make it better'...just my 2 penny worth

I like the first two personally. But then that's the sort of thing I take too, so what do I know?

Back