The Jonny Guns - Semi Finals - GIG

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all,

take a look through the following shot from a gig I went to on Thursday.. I've been following these guys from day one, they're now in a big Battle of the Bands competition and are through to the final which is this saturday! I can't wait!!

moblog_5c74d535d5372.jpg

moblog_a55c3572d1ce4.jpg

moblog_e1839b445f09d.jpg

moblog_c7022cbd28ab6.jpg

moblog_9446877478ebd.jpg

After reading a few tips on here, I shot most on ISO 400... is this ok? I'm not happy with a lot of the photos though.. I want a faster, wider lens. Although, this is an area I have no experience in. I shoot with a Sony a100; if anyone can suggest a great little lens for this camera (for gig photography), it would be MUCH appreciated.

:)

I really like #1 & 4 in particular.

Any lens ( f2.8 or faster) is needed and loads of togs like to use the 50mm f1.8 for this kind of thing. Depends on where you can shoot from really...the closer you are, the wider the lens you can get away with. I often use my 24-70mm f2.8 L.

If using something fast though, just be careful about focusing on the face using the central AF point ...the shallow depth of field of these lenses can cause real problems....bands are not renowned for standing still!!

I think they're pretty cool and show that you know what you're doing. There's nothing there that says you need a faster or wider lens to improve. 1st one's probably the best, but its a marginal choice.

The first shot really stands out for me.

So many things in this image catch my eye.

I love the way the lines of the ceiling seem to radiate out giving me the sensation that the image is coming straight at me.

The strong light partially obscuring the detail of the drums, the energy in the (bass?) guitarist's pose and bit of motion caught on him and in the background on the guy using a tambourine(?)

Lastly I love the gritty dirty look of the floor which ties in well with the gritty feel of the shot.

Just my 0.02p worth. Thanks for sharing (y)

Love No 1. Great capture(y)

Excellent set!

The Minolta 50mm f1.7 is a gem, the 135mm f2.8 is just sublime. Pretty cheap on flea bay too.
I've heared great reports about the Sony CZ 85mm f1.4 and the 135mm f1.8 but I decided that I need both of my kidneys, so have no first hand experience. :puke:

Another usefull investment would be a HVL-56 flash. If you fit it but leave it switched off the infra red focus assist still works.
I recently took a lot of shots in a Yurt (no, really) lit only by a few candles. There wasn't a cat in hells chance of the camera focussing in that light but with the focus assist every one is needle sharp at the widest apertures.
I can't post them because they feature a celeb and obviously I don't have permission to publish his image. :shrug:

guys, wow thanks!

I too like #1 the best. It was quite funny actually, the bass player (correct, Chris L!) usually pulls the pose at a certain point throughout one of their tracks. I waited, I waited and i waited and sure enough - yeah!! :clap:

Camera adjustments, can you comment on any alterations? I just feel the images are unfocused and relatively noisey. hmm..

RE the lens, thanks again. I think I'll wait till after Xmas and see how the funds are! The f.2.8 sounds nice, however I'm in no position to buy anything yet as I don't know what it all does! Must do my research.

As always, thanks.

i realy like em.specialy the first one.
i just shot my first gig. mostly using a 50mm f 1.8 at 800 iso.
theyre under sinister records gig.
a fast lens is the real important bit if you dont want to use flash. took some with the 18 to 55 f3.5 but had to go right up to 1600.did take a few with flash, but they lose the atmosphere.good for freezing action tho. got a couple of nice headbanging shots, hair extended.
if i do anymore , i may have to look for a zoom lens with big f,s.the 18 55 was brill for framing but poor on light gathering.

i reckon thats just what ya need. f1.4 wow.
as with the other fifties , be aware of the short depth of field tho. this will work well in the real dark dungeon like venues too.
the club i shot last week was black everywhere. i HAD to use the 50 f1.8. my 18 55 f3.5 (i think) just couldnt get enough light, even at 1600 iso.

No2 all day long for me. I like that last one as well, it shows the intimate relationship between the performer and the fans. I'd be inclined to crop close behind the performer though.

Good set all round. :clap:

Back