Critique The Kelpies

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip out here last Sunday as the forecast promised some clouds and sunlight, perfect perhaps for a colourful dawn and light hitting these wonderful metal horses. Some of you might ask why I didn't take the reflection shot as this is my usual way of err composing pictures - it was still enough and despite loving reflections there is just too much "street furniture" around to make the shot work and these pylons get real tricky to clone out. A better photographer or someone with really good PS skills like Billie Currie could probably tidy it up really well but I admit I cannot. Thus when I go I choose this composition every time I go as it hides the pylons and the mess. Andy Scott should be given a medal for designing these, but the placement and design of the area leaves a lot to be desired. I ran into a chap coming off a nightshift and we had a good chat about how the area could have been designed and well, I can see it in my minds eye and it could have been a lot better. No cafes, no pylons, bigger water pool and no railings/steps around them etc etc.

Dawn was well, a good start. They didn't change the lighting from the purple but if you go in the evening they light them from blue, yellow, red and timing your shot between the phases opens up green, orange and purple. I know, I have done them all through the times I have been :D

_DSC2264 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The sky did go colourful and the metal, a bit like snow, picked up the colours perfectly.

_DSC2279 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

First light was nice

_DSC2287 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Golden light was too.

_DSC2292 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Afterwards I braved Silverburn on the way home and did my Christmas shopping getting some bargains.

No 2 is really nice with the contrasting same colour sky with the lightly coloured (fading) Kelpies.
No 4 for the Golden glow on them.
A lovely set though.

That last one for me, Steve. Gorgeous golden light.

2 and 4 for me as well. These must be the most photographed statuary in Britain, but that golden light in 4 gives them something special.

Back