The Leica M6 - It's back.

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Apparently Leica have started producing the M6 again. Yours for just £4,500.

Apparently there are some upgrades, although I don't know what they are.

I wonder if the price of used M6's will drop. :LOL:

Lovely piece of kit, but £2-3.5k for a really good used one or £4.5k new, for a film camera (body only)? No doubt there will be buyers, but ...
Though I hope they succeed, because it might prompt some other companies to update and re-produce their best classic analogue cameras, eg Ricoh with a new Pentax LX? a new Rollei TLR? a Nikon F7? Somehow I doubt it.

Lovely piece of kit, but £2-3.5k for a really good used one or £4.5k new, for a film camera (body only)? No doubt there will be buyers, but ...
Though I hope they succeed, because it might prompt some other companies to update and re-produce their best classic analogue cameras, eg Ricoh with a new Pentax LX? a new Rollei TLR? a Nikon F7? Somehow I doubt it.

Oh yes, it's a luxury item for sure. I'd love one, but I think I could have much more value for the money with other things. I'm sure that there will be a market though and, if nothing else, it means that existing M6's presumably have additional life in them given that spare parts will still be available, at least to some extent.

Maybe if I win the lottery...

It looks much the same as the MP other than the film advance lever and film rewind knob...

Any reissues/new models from other manufacturers are also going to be well over £1K, the only brand I can see doing it would be Nikon since they love their heritage and they’ve done it before with the FM3A, S3, SP and F6. The M6 reissue’s price is pretty much in line with inflation as well.

Top plate is made out of brass now and the paint will wear/show brass like an MP which is nice.

Leica also reissued the 35mm Summilux Pre-ASPH which will definitely drive prices of the old lens down.

Last edited:
Agreed, imo the best outcome of a move like this is other manufacturers restarting production on some level. It’ll likely never get back to where it was pre-digital, for obvious reasons, but hey we can hope! Hell, a reasonable middle ground would be that they started making the parts again so that existing cameras could be economically repaired without the need for donor cameras.

Back