The Lens of Longleat..?

Edit My Images
Yes
Seems we are going to Longleat , setting off later today (How come I didn't know about this ?)
Anyway, having not been since I was small enough to fit into a lions mouth, I'm wondering what lenses to take.
I use a Fuji XH-1 with an 18-138 travel lens which seems an obvious choice, and suspect my 100-400 with TC will be the other one to take, but might a 50-140 with TC be better?
I don't want to be too laden down, but any thoughts ?
I have a 10-24, 16-55 as well, but figure 2 lenses will be enough.
Thanks for any help !

For me it would depend on who "we" are. If we are a bunch of camera nerds I'd take everything but if we are family / friends and possibly including children I'd personally rather enjoy the day than be the geek with the camera.

If taking a camera I'd possibly take my 1" compact with 25-250mm lens or maybe my MFT or Sony A7 with a 35mm lens but honestly I'd view this as a day out with the opportunity to snap a few record shots of the animals and the people I love to remember the day by rather than be trying to get any outstanding pictures.

Maybe it's my age or the mood I'm in but apart from when I'm by myself I now see my photography hobby as a means of recording memories rather than trying to take very nice pictures. Whatever gear you choose my advice is more towards enjoying the day with the people you're with rather than letting photography take a large part of it over.

Last edited:
For me it would depend on who "we" are. If we are a bunch of camera nerds I'd take everything but if we are family / friends and possibly including children I'd personally rather enjoy the day than be the geek with the camera.

If taking a camera I'd possibly take my 1" compact with 25-250mm lens or maybe my MFT or Sony A7 with a 35mm lens but honestly I'd view this as a day out with the opportunity to snap a few record shots of the animals and the people I love to remember the day by rather than be trying to get any outstanding pictures.

Maybe it's my age or the mood I'm in but apart from when I'm by myself I now see my photography hobby as a means of recording memories rather than trying to take very nice pictures. Whatever gear you choose my advice is more towards enjoying the day with the people you're with rather than letting photography take a large part of it over.

We are the family, so 2 adult kids and 2 aged teenage parents - it'll be a chance to snap a few wildlife shots possibly, and maybe a few of the girls too. Nothing too serious.

I would have thought 100-400.
I think I agree with you gramps, as the girls will always be a few hundred yards ahead of me rather like the beasts.

If it's not too late, 18-135 and 100-400 + TC. If you have a decent compact, take that for the shorter lengths and keep the 100-400 on the X-H1.

If it's not too late, 18-135 and 100-400 + TC. If you have a decent compact, take that for the shorter lengths and keep the 100-400 on the X-H1.
We've left, but I'm lugging the 18-135 and 100-400+tc. No compact, but think I've got enough to carry as it is. Looking forward to a day with my family. Hope the rain clears up, but right now staying in a lovely place in Bradford on Avon having eaten a wonderful Italian meal. I'm full and happy!

Reactions: Nod
My outfit for going somewhere like that - fits in a relatively small bag and allows me to stay far away from critters with big teeth and uncertain tempers...

Cameras Panasonic G9 and GM5 A65 DSC03472.JPG

We've left, but I'm lugging the 18-135 and 100-400+tc. No compact, but think I've got enough to carry as it is. Looking forward to a day with my family. Hope the rain clears up, but right now staying in a lovely place in Bradford on Avon having eaten a wonderful Italian meal. I'm full and happy!

Hope you had a great day out despite any adverse weather. Any decent pics will be a bonus.

Back