The little red fellows !

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been up to Formby to the squirrel reserve. They are a little too quick! I had ISO set to 320 most of the day and it was still difficult to get them before they moved. What settings do most people aim for when trying to photograph these little critters!

D200 + Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR2 DX IF

ISO320, 1/8s, f5.6.

squirrel_2.jpg

ISO160, 1/6s, f5.6.

squirrel_1.jpg

definately not 1/8s at 200mm. Thats probally why they came out quite blurry. good to see them around all the same

Those shots are a real shame. Had they been sharp they would have been stunning.
Go back and have another crack at ISO1600 or wait for the sun to come out.

Those shots are a real shame. Had they been sharp they would have been stunning.
Go back and have another crack at ISO1600 or wait for the sun to come out.

Thanks, I posted these pictures to try and get access to everyone else's experience. Do I go for a higher ISO? Do I go for quicker shutter speed? It is difficult because they looked ok on the LCD of the camera. I thought I had quite a few really good shots.

I am a complete beginner and every week I am trying something new for the first time and drinking in the feedback ready for my second attempts.

I probably didn't do myself any favours today going out at 3pm to the woods!!

are you using a tripod or handheld, you dont want to be going less than 200 on your shutter and if you are using a tripod i would push it to 50 maybe

are you using a tripod or handheld, you dont want to be going less than 200 on your shutter and if you are using a tripod i would push it to 50 maybe

These shots were hand held, I don't understand what you mean 'less than 200' - do you mean less than 1/200s?

I am currently playing with aperture priority and shutter priority modes but I am still having problems with knowing what to set for certain types of shot.

do you mean less than 1/200s?
Yes i think lol. Try having a go on manual stick your shutter at 1/200s then you aperture to as low as posible, then adjust your ISO accordingly then at least you will have noisy shots rather than blurry shots in bad conditions

Your not alone cowasaki, I have the same problems, just got a lot to learn I guess.

Your shots are good, I like them

These are my best attempts from Formby :

P1010853.jpg

P1010837.jpg

Back