The Lomo LC-A is no more

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
According to this site which is a copy of the email I recieved this morning, the classic Lomo LC-A is going out of production due to costs. I've been wanting one of these for a while but I've never needed to buy one. Now that they are going out of production I will be buying one. I feel a bit scared of getting a film camera due to digital. Digital does make you a bit lazier. It should be fun. I will have to think about my shots more than usual so I don't waste film, but then thats exactly what you don't do with lomography :) Either way, can't wait.

They cost about £140 for the standard pack and £190 for the deluxe. I will be getting the deluxe as it comes with a tunnel vision lens.

OK Pete, I've tried I really have, explain to me why I need to get one of these. It's Russian - which means it will work and do most things in the most basic fashion. I've read through all the links and I'm probably still missing something. I love the bit where it says that the callous on your thumb from using the wind on wheel is the mark of the true Lomo-er :LOL:

I don't know if it can be put into words. There's just something about the camera, the photos it produces. I've always been 2 people doing just as well in maths at school as I did in English. Doing web design and web developement. The more I learn about digital photography, the more I want to know about film photography. Maybe its just me but I just love the look of these shots. For example. There are some better examples at Deviant Art. I don't know whether I'll be able to produce shots to their level, but I do love a challenge and the idea of a new thing to try, to learn and room to grow makes me oh so happy :) Hopefully I'll get mine this week in time for the bank holiday weekend.

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a good film body to match the lenses you have? You can pick them up for ridiculous prices on ebay. Handy for back up too if you're doing any paid stuff.

CT said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a good film body to match the lenses you have? You can pick them up for ridiculous prices on ebay. Handy for back up too if you're doing any paid stuff.

Exactly what i have, EOS50E 35mm, along with the 20D :)

I still have my AE1 Program as well but havent used that for ages ! and is FD fit, so the lenses are no good, i should sell it but not sure its worth much !

CT said:

Its not so much simply because its film, its the shots the lomo produces. High contrast, burnt edges, great colours. Its all about experimenting with things. Somone told me that its probably just marketing nonsense to try and sell a bad camera, but I dunno :) Theres just something about the shots it produces that makes me go "ooooh" :)

petemc said:
According to this site which is a copy of the email I recieved this morning, the classic Lomo LC-A is going out of production due to costs. I've been wanting one of these for a while but I've never needed to buy one. Now that they are going out of production I will be buying one. I feel a bit scared of getting a film camera due to digital. Digital does make you a bit lazier. It should be fun. I will have to think about my shots more than usual so I don't waste film, but then thats exactly what you don't do with lomography :) Either way, can't wait.

They cost about £140 for the standard pack and £190 for the deluxe. I will be getting the deluxe as it comes with a tunnel vision lens.

If you're definitely going for one of these I'd have a look on eBay as there are plenty of good examples at much lower prices. Have a look here....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4701&item=7510902368&rd=1

Adrian said:
petemc said:

If you're definitely going for one of these I'd have a look on eBay as there are plenty of good examples at much lower prices. Have a look here....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4701&item=7510902368&rd=1

Already ordered :) Thanks anyway.

Wouldn't it have been better to use a photoshop action Pete.
One is available free from HERE.

I would have used the 10D and PS before embarking on the unknown.

petemc said:
CT said:

Its not so much simply because its film, its the shots the lomo produces. High contrast, burnt edges, great colours. Its all about experimenting with things. Somone told me that its probably just marketing nonsense to try and sell a bad camera, but I dunno :) Theres just something about the shots it produces that makes me go "ooooh" :)

Those shots you linked to are cross processed as well... it's not all because of the camera.

Matt said:
Wouldn't it have been better to use a photoshop action Pete.
One is available free from HERE.

I would have used the 10D and PS before embarking on the unknown.

I have :) It just doesn't feel real though.

Pook said:
petemc said:
CT said:

Those shots you linked to are cross processed as well... it's not all because of the camera.

They are? They look like normal lomo shots to me. Hmm. Still, more fun :D Some more examples. At the very least, its good to learn something new whether I get the shots I want or not. I'm not the type of person who is bothered by spending money if it gets me the results I'm after.

Back