The lone climber on Beinn a' Chrulaiste

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
My favourite image from the TP forum meet last week in Glencoe. I now wish I had taken this image as a portrait instead of landscape to give it a better depth of scale and also how small he looked in comparison. Always learning as a photographer....
I wasn't happy with the colour version so converted to b+w and colour popped his rucksack :police:.
All feedback and critique welcome

Canon EOS 5DS
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM + 1.4TC MK3
  • ƒ/8.0
  • 400.0 mm
  • 1/2000

The lone climber on Beinn a' Chrulaiste by Paul Cronin 1, on Flickr

I like the image but the snow is suffering from under exposure. Quite common in snow scenes. If you look at the histogram you will see that the whites can be lifted a bit without clipping. Can I ask why the ISO of 2000? Did you select this or was it on Auto? If the camera is making the decisions the underexposure was inevitable as lots of white in a scene confuses the camera into under exposing. Nice idea for a shot though.

Hi Craig, thanks for your feedback and appreciate the time taken.
I did deliberately tone down the snow as I think it looked better with the mood of the day. As for the high ISO, I was in manual setting and cropped in camera but really raised the ISO as it was quite windy and raining a lot and also I'm not very good at handheld shots.
I did drive back a couple of hours later to meet the chap who was climbing up there and emailed him a couple of photos, which he was dead chuffed about.

Higher key would improve it I think - good decision imo to raise the ISO. You'd have been struggling otherwise to keep it sharp at 400mm.

Nice shot, How tall is it?

Hi there, looking at walk-highlands website it states 652 metres ascent, but the chap stated he had another 1.2kms to walk to the trig point (?) when he climbed over the top and disappeared into the snow. Lovely knowledgable chap as well.

Higher key would improve it I think - good decision imo to raise the ISO. You'd have been struggling otherwise to keep it sharp at 400mm.

Cheers Mark, didn't think of high key, will check that out next week when I'm home. High ISO all the way for me [emoji6], I'm hopelessly lost without a tripod.

Hi there, looking at walk-highlands website it states 652 metres ascent, but the chap stated he had another 1.2kms to walk to the trig point (?) when he climbed over the top and disappeared into the snow. Lovely knowledgable chap as well.

It curves quite a bit as you go up - best viewpoint is towards the front which is a fair way from the trig point.

Back