The Majestic Kingfisher

Edit My Images
No
Being an Angler, I have lost count at the amount of Kingfishers I have seen in my life - in comparison my wife has never seen one! However one picture that has always evaded me is a photograph of one, more precisely one sat on my rods that was until a couple of months ago when I finally achieved my ambition.

You really couldn't write the story, I was sat next to the lake having a coffee when a very friendly Kingfisher visited me a few times, I wasn't quick enough the first few times so opted to climb in my sleeping bag and just have the lens pointing out the bag - I didn't have to wait long for it to return, it seemed very happy as I was clicking away it almost looked like it was modelling for me doing various poses.
Unfortunately I only ever have my nifty fifty with me when I am fishing as it is perfect for trophy shots, so am a bit disappointed with the quality as there was heavy cropping involved to get the final image, still I am over the moon to finally get the shot!

CSC_0048.jpg

However, I now have the bug and don't want to wait another 15 years to get a photograph of one - I am very tempted to hire a hide next year like http://www.norfolk-wildlife-photography.co.uk/
and just wondered if anybody on here has booked one through them or can recommended one?

Last edited:
Haven't hired from them but I can definitely recommend using a hide and there is nothing like capturing your 1st kingfisher image, so well done :)

Fab photo! Quality is irrelevant.. never seen before Kingfisher & fishing-rod!

I would not be worried over the quality of this remarkable shot. If fishing they always seem to be about but when practising with a camera they become scarce:)

super shot ,get back to same spot and do as padman says ,its movement that makes them fly off

I was lucky enough to have two settle side by side on rods I was sitting directly behind a number of years ago. No camera to hand but the image is still firmly locked in my head a numbers of years on. Jonathon Lewis is a very pleasant chap. Did a beginners course with him last year and he was very good. Can't comment on the Kingfisher course.

Back