The mighty Deltic.

Edit My Images
No
After a lengthy overhaul preserved Deltic No. D9000 "Royal Scots Grey" had it's first mainline run from Wolverhampton via the S&C to Newcastle and back.
These monsters have 2 x 1650bhp two stroke Deltic marine engines and took over from steam on the London/Scotland east coast line back in the day.
Nothing looks or sounds like these beasts!

"Royal Scots Grey", 24/09/22.

A wider view.

"Royal Scots Grey", 24/09/22.

To put things in perspective, this is one of the engines!

Napier Deltic, just the dogs b******s!

Last edited:
Fabulous shot of a fabulous machine. I really don't understand why people don't like Diesel engines

I've never forgiven British Rail for rejecting the prototype's paint scheme in favour of that ghastly green and white livery...

Last edited:
My favourite engine! Lovely shot Toni ;)

An unusual engine configuration, three crankshafts and opposing cylinders, and as you say, two stroke :)

Last edited:
Beautiful shots!

Also my favourite diesel loco too. Fond memories of the sound of them as a kid visiting my gran's house when they went past on the Falkirk Grahamston to Edinburgh line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember them starting up in Kings Cross station, smoke and muck belching out.
No way would they be allowed to run these days, very impressive machines though

I remember seeing the original Deltic in Blue at Kings Cross, we had just returned from a school holiday trip to North Wales. There was great excitement and a rush to that side of the carriage to get a glimpse, must have been 1956 or 1957

I've loved the Deltic configuration of cylinders and pistons since I first saw it. Makes the other assorted types (V, W, boxer, radial etc.) look "normal"!!!

Great train pictures and the engine really adds to the story. Well done :D

My favourite engine! Lovely shot Toni ;)

An unusual engine configuration, three crankshafts and opposing cylinders, and as you say, two stroke :)

They were originally designed as the main engines for RN Fast Attack (torpedo) boats and were later used in the Ton class minesweepers. There is a very good article on their design and development in Wikipedia. The name Deltic was chosen because the triangular cylinder layout resembled the Greek letter Delta.

Last edited:
There's obviously a lot of Deltic love on this forum! (y)

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated, and jezgb if THIS is the railtour you're on then D9000 is almost certain to be at the front.

Fantastic shots of the most iconic diesel loco! Beautiful looks, (though the blue prototype is still my favourite) the sound of the Napier diesel is the rail equivalent of the mighty Rolls Royce Merlin. Just fabulous!

I had the privilege of attending the naming of 55019 Royal Highland Fusilier in Glasgow back in 1965. My fathers Regiment and a wonderful memory of a great man.

Thank you for sharing.

Awesome set!

Fantastic shots of the most iconic diesel loco! Beautiful looks, (though the blue prototype is still my favourite) the sound of the Napier diesel is the rail equivalent of the mighty Rolls Royce Merlin. Just fabulous!

(y) I totally agree with you

Back