The Milky Way over Avebury

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Met up with Matt Franks on Monday evening at Avebury for a spot of light painting and Milky Way fun! We had reasonably good clear skies which is always good when aiming to shoot the Milky Way, and a fun couple of hours in the freezing cold! Good to meet up with Matt again too!

Milky Way over Avebury by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Nice detail in the sky there Jake.

Great shot, I think there could be a little more detail to be eeked out though, I like the foreground interest.

Thanks guys.
I'm no expert in editing Milky Way shots. Couldn't seem to bring the stars out, any tips?

Do you have Lightroom? Contrast and clarity sliders are very useful, as well as using the curves. Try a slight "S" curve to bring down the dark background of the sky and boost the highlights in the stars. Do a google search for "Milk Way post processing" - there are quite a lot of online tutorials and videos.

Thank you!
Thanks Mark, I use CS6. I have increased the clarity in the stars to around +90 using the selective edit tool, so not sure there is much more to be had there. The image was quite noisy as I'm shooting at f4 which doesn't cut it, so could explain the softness.

Back