The Missus and my Sister ...

rdh

Edit My Images
No
... in separate shots (and two different people before any Norfolk comments come out) :D

Holly (Missus)

Shot using 24-70, SB-900 and shoot through umbrella, camera right.

Taken in our lounge, using fast shutter and large(ish) subject to background distance to get a black background. Minimal PP to convert to B&W and remove the tip of the brolly :)

79.jpg

78.jpg

3. Taken with 70-200, natural light
77.jpg

75.jpg

Emma (Sister)

Taken for a bit of fun just after Christmas. Was bloody freezing outside that day! All taken with 85/1.4

5. SB-900 camera left, direct
80.jpg

6. Natural light
82.jpg

7. Natural light
76.jpg

C&C welcome!

Last edited:
3 and 4 for me, just lovely :)

I'll go with that, 3 more than 4 for me mind.

Definitely something in each of them though, gimme 6. ;)

Numbers 1, 3 and 4 for me - (y) If I had to choose a favourite it would be a toss up between numbers 3 + 4, with number 3 probably winning in the end :)

I don't think the Emma shots are quite so successful, the washing line (?) in number 5 spoils an otherwise nice picture as it makes her look as if she's being garrotted and her expression in number 6 suggests she may just have trod in something. Number 7 is better, but for me the stray foliage spoils it a little...

Looking at 6+7 again, I think the main problem with 6 is her hair, it's too close to the colour of her clothing, the grey jacket give the hair more "impact" in number 7 :)

3 and 4 for me too. What a great, natural smile. Like them a lot

Looking at 6+7 again, I think the main problem with 6 is her hair, it's too close to the colour of her clothing, the grey jacket give the hair more "impact" in number 7 :)

The grey jacket was removed for style of an assassin (with attitude) in black. For the record, I prefer the shots with the jacket too. The shape of the hair is different also - shot 6 could do with some movement. No wind at all on that day though, and being so cold, the jacket was back on sharpish! :)

really like 3 and 4 they are great, work well as B&W as well

No wind at all on that day though, and being so cold, the jacket was back on sharpish! :)

I just received an email from a lassie wanting me to do some pics of her in a river or pond, anyone got an icepick I can borrow to get her back out after the shoot? :wacky:

Number 3 is just stunning imo. I can't seem to do portraiture at all and so I look on with envy at shots like this!

2 and 3 are my fave, very well done. lovely light and she is very pretty.

I just received an email from a lassie wanting me to do some pics of her in a river or pond, anyone got an icepick I can borrow to get her back out after the shoot? :wacky:

Take a few rolls of tin foil with you (y)

LJR said:
Number 3 is just stunning imo. I can't seem to do portraiture at all and so I look on with envy at shots like this!

Sure you can! Stick with aperture priority, focus on the eyes, use props and a good location, get a natural smile from the subject and it all falls into place.

Thanks Luke :)

It never ceases to amazes me what a difference a genuine smile makes in a picture, love 3 and 4 as do many others - you are a lucky man to have such a photogenic wife who is clearly comfortable with the camera.

3 is a wonderful shot, her smile is so natural and the shot is just easy to look at with nice composition.

2&3 are excellent, beautiful smile well caught.
I suspect 2 might take just a smidgeon of selective lightening on her right eye.
Kev

All great but the third wins it for me, stunning!! great lighting and a really lovely model and pose :) fantastic!

Really like 1,3 and 4.

Love your b&w processing and 3 is captured beautifully, a gorgeous smile.

Love no. 3 for the natural playful look, and 4 for a more artistic perspective! Just jealous of your great shots TBH!

I love the poses and the lighting in the first two, although I can't help feeling that the profile in no. 1 is a little soft. That could easily be due to downsizing, though. Great expressions in all of these, although I particularly love the snarl in no. 6.

No 2 does it for me, you say you just used the sb900 shot through brolly for this one as well?

hi there
No 4 surpasses everything els on the forum for some time...in my humble opinion...
i hope i have not offended enyone...but No 4 is the best i have seen for some time.
very very well done.
mickytwoknives

I love number 3, it's a picture that could have been taken any time in the last 40 years with a totally genuine smile , well done:clap:

Back