The Moon.. need a bigger lens!

Edit My Images
Yes
I know the moon has featured here before, but I needed to take a picture of something with my new cam... and as it was cold and dark... lol
Used the 70-200 reasonably happy but need a bigger lens! :)

moon.jpg

Comments most welcome..

That is VERY nice... i tryed the same a while ago with these results:

moon.jpg

moonnclouds.jpg

I still cant figure out what went wrong, i'm still new to my camera (350d) and used the same lens as you. how can i achive your results?

clawz - they are way over exposed. Try shooting in manual and keep reviewing the image as you make the shutter speed faster at say f5.6. The moon is much brighter than you might think. Take a range of shots until you start under exposing then you should be able to work out the right setting.

That is VERY nice... i tryed the same a while ago with these results:

I still cant figure out what went wrong, i'm still new to my camera (350d) and used the same lens as you. how can i achive your results?

clawz - see my answer to the same problem here -

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12137

it's all about not using evalutive metering - the camera is setting exposure for the sky so horribly over exposing the moon

I got those results first, realised where I'd gone wrong, and gradually increased the shutter speed!
The one pictured was f5.6 ISO 100 shutter 640
Cant wait for the full moon this month :)
I then transfered those settings onto my son's film cam as he has a 400mm with 1.4x converter... took some shots..so we will see how they came out also :)

Spot metering is invaluable for photographing the moon - it's much much brighter than you think, particularly on very clear nights. If you don't have spot metering, start of with a shuutter speed of 125th and F8, which should put you in the ball park, and make any adjustments from there.

There is always a lot of discussion over at Nikonians about moon shots & I read there is a "Moony f11" equivalent to the "Sunny f16" rule i.e. your aperture should be f11 plus appropriate speed to shot the moon ...
The other interesting thing they were saying is that you get better shots of the moon if you avoid the full moon as the light during a full moon is shining directly on it so you get less detail - better to shot it before or after the full moon allegedly ...
Hoping for a go myself tonight as there is due to be a cloudless sky (for a change!)
Paul ;)

Here are my attempts with the Canon 70-300mm

Tv mode, 1/800 F5.6 ISO400
Tv800f5.jpg

Tv mode, 1/320 F5.6 ISO200
Tv320f5.jpg

M mode, 1/100 F9 ISO100
M100F09ISO100.jpg

Back