The moon

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
20080817_3565.jpg
]

C and C

Thanks
Matt

nice colour and it's sharp, just a little too noisy IMO

stick the camera on full manual Matt, ISO 100/200 max, f5.6 1/500 - 1/1000, sturdy tripod and see if this helps the noise issue.

Looks good from here matt - have you tried a B&W conversion to make it look whiter and maybe brighter?

Hi matt

as said previously a bit noisy, but still a nice shot :clap: also try toning down the background as it looks Jet black, which is a bit too unnatural in my humble opinion :D

This was for the original shot

Last edited:
Like this:
edit-1.jpg

Hmmm maybe not - I think your original is better - I stand corrected (doffs cap) - I was thinking a bit of playing with contrast might brighten it!

Hi matt

as said previously a bit noisy, but still a nice shot :clap: also try toning down the background as it looks Jet black, which is a bit too unnatural in my humble opinion :D

Thank you!

Oh right, ok will do. I thought it looked good :LOL:

Like this:

Hmmm maybe not - I think your original is better - I stand corrected (doffs cap) - I was thinking a bit of playing with contrast might brighten it!

You never know unless you try,
Thank you.

Thank you!

Oh right, ok will do. I thought it looked good :LOL:

It does :clap: It's just Just a bit of constuctive criticism from me :D

The night sky is not Jet black :LOL: but I wish it was :naughty:

Steve

Hey mate. Good effort :clap:

As mentioned, stick to ISO 100, 200 MAX.

I'm going to give away my biggest secret here :LOL:

The Moony Rule:
Full Moon: f/11@ 1/ISO
Half Moon: f/8 @ 1/ISO
Quater Moon: f/5.6 @1/ISO

It generally does work.
May want to use different F numbers, but the 1/100 and ISO 100 seems to be just right.

good7-1.jpg

This one was taken using the moony rule.
Just tried different F/stops until I got the desired effect.

F/5.6
1/100
ISO 100

Thanks to that, even I will be able to get out my other camera and have a go at a moon shot. It's good to see that you continue to think up new ideas and tackle them with enthusiasm. Just keep trying new things and taking the images. When you've got the image, you might decide that they don't work in the camera, so they won't work anywhere else. Some won't work in the computer, even after you've used all your post prod skills. And then there's the golden nuggets - they look great, people like them and you can do them again. Keep at it, you're getting better.

Fantastic advice on here Matt! I think you have made a good effort with your photograph and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with other camera settings.

Personally I find the moon a fascinating subject and, using the same camera equipment as you I think, I am really enjoying putting the advice I've received into action.

Cheers (y)

Neil

Hey mate. Good effort :clap:

As mentioned, stick to ISO 100, 200 MAX.

The Moony Rule:

It generally does work.
May want to use different F numbers, but the 1/100 and ISO 100 seems to be just right.

This one was taken using the moony rule.
Just tried different F/stops until I got the desired effect.

F/5.6
1/100
ISO 100

Thank you for all the great advice :D

Thanks to that, even I will be able to get out my other camera and have a go at a moon shot. It's good to see that you continue to think up new ideas and tackle them with enthusiasm. Just keep trying new things and taking the images. When you've got the image, you might decide that they don't work in the camera, so they won't work anywhere else. Some won't work in the computer, even after you've used all your post prod skills. And then there's the golden nuggets - they look great, people like them and you can do them again. Keep at it, you're getting better.

Thank you :D

Fantastic advice on here Matt! I think you have made a good effort with your photograph and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with other camera settings.

Personally I find the moon a fascinating subject and, using the same camera equipment as you I think, I am really enjoying putting the advice I've received into action.

Cheers (y)

Neil

Thank you :D

The Moony Rule:

It generally does work.

Moony Rule :eek: Sounds like something you could get arrested for :D

Anyway, duly noted for when (if!) we ever get a clear night sky again :shrug:

Back