The most frequently asked question!

Name
jen
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I know this gets asked all the time, but,
What lens should I buy?!

I am looking to spend around £250-£350 (maybe a LITTLE more if it is needed)
I mainly do close ups of flowers etc, but I love nature and landscape stuff too.
I guess I am looking for a good 'all rounder' if there is such a thing!! or is it better to get one specific lens, and then save up for another one to cover all the aspects?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :shrug:

Hi Have you considered a set of auto extension tubes that would be a lot less than your budget range.

Paul

yeah. . . have done a bit of reserch on them. . . . . not 100% sure what to think at the moment.
Maybe a new lens AND a set of them. . . .!

Lens!

Best all rounder I know of is the 18-200 VR (don't have one myself) but people I know who use it love it for it's versatility.

Right now you have the kit lens only right?

If you like doing close-ups then perhaps a macro lens that can also function as a moderate tele. Sigma 105mm or Tamron 90mm would fit your budget and they're good enough not to be cast aside as you upgrade in the future.

The other end would be to get a wide angle for landscapes, like the Sigma 10-20mm.

Neither of these is really versatile though. Unfortunately versatility will come at a cost in other factors and it will overlap with your current lens. One of the 3rd party 18-200's might suit you, but it would give you less than buying a cheap tele to go with your kit lens.

Jenny,

The Sigma 105 or Canon EF100 will fall within budget and are both excellent options for your flower close-ups. I'd carry on using your kit lens until funds allow something wider for landscape stuff.

Bob

how about aiming for something like the siggy 10-20 and then a raynox for close ups. alby(ajophotog) seems to really like his and gets amazing shots with it.

Thanks for the input guys. . . . anymore?

Hi Jenny,

As mentioned by others the 18 - 200 VR is probably the best all rounder, giving you adequate wide for most pics and a reasonable amount of zoom when required.

The best price for UK I could find when I purchased mine was from these guys:

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/productD...0mm-F3.5-5.6G-IF-ED-AF-S-VR-DX&ProductID=2642

Service was good. Make sure you buy a UV filter to protect it. Best price is from here:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=1300&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

I went for the Tiffen kit at the bottom of the page as it gives you a UV filter, polariser and warm filter all in a neat little pouch!

Best regards

Chris

Back