The National Trust now charging for access to bluebells at Dockey Wood

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
The National Trust are going to be charging for people to enter Dockey Wood to see the bluebells this year. The charges apply from 10am to 4pm over the two peak weekends.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ashridge-estate/features/protecting-the-bluebells-at-ashridge

What do you think? Is it a case of concern for the blue bells or another way to cash in? Having seen people trample through the bluebells with no regard for where they step I can understand the frustration to protect them and the surrounding area. Surely people are going to visit in the 'free' period instead still causing the destruction?

Main reason?

Hmmm lets think..................... £'s of course. :rolleyes:

Just because someone pays, doesn't mean they can't trample.

Of course, the main culprits for the trampling are the ones who get in for £1 rather than £3. I wonder how much will get declared to the taxman? (Or, more to the point, how much will get to central office...)

As long as the money is used for conservation or maintenance of conservation then it is a good thing, just my opinion.

It's both, each one justifies the other, and none of this goes to the taxman.

I shall have to have a look at the fence tomorrow, as I live relatively close by. The only time I would want to visit Dockey Wood would be around sunrise, hopefully it won't be padlocked up then. It seems that in these times of austerity everyone is trying it on to raise extra cash, Bristol Council now wants to charge for people keeping fit by joining in the Park Run, and now NT. They all want to milk the cash cow.

Most National Trust properties were donated - I don't expect those giving 'to the Nation' imagined charging for visits.
On the other hand if a site becomes too popular for its own good this may reduce numbers visiting.
Hard to see any other easy way to do that.

It is an unfortunate consequence that over popularity can damage the very thing they go to see.
Even whole areas like the Lake District suffer.
A similar story was highlighted recently where the Coast to Coast walkers have gradually churned up the vegetation on peaty sections to the extent it is dangerous to walk in wetter weather and vulnerable to major erosion.
http://www.northpennines.org.uk/Pages/NewsUpdatesItem.aspx?NewsUpdatesID=189

Still free to NT members though.

Not sure how much use a NT membership is around the UK, but here in Cornwall it's great if you like landscape photography.

£63 a year which gives free access and free parking. This morning I went to Godrevy Point for a few hours and as a member parking was free. Non members - £5. Doesn't take long to make £63 a bit of a bargain IMO.

I shall have to have a look at the fence tomorrow, as I live relatively close by. The only time I would want to visit Dockey Wood would be around sunrise, hopefully it won't be padlocked up then.

The gate wasn't padlocked shut when I visited last weekend. I think that access between 10am-4pm will be paid access, out of those times it's free access.

It seems that in these times of austerity everyone is trying it on to raise extra cash, Bristol Council now wants to charge for people keeping fit by joining in the Park Run, and now NT. They all want to milk the cash cow.

That's the problem now, funds have to come from somewhere. It's the same with our police force, our local police commissioner is talking about engaging communities and setting up local 'parish' special constables, basically policing on the cheap because central funds are not available.

On the other hand if a site becomes too popular for its own good this may reduce numbers visiting.

It is an unfortunate consequence that over popularity can damage the very thing they go to see.
A similar story was highlighted recently where the Coast to Coast walkers have gradually churned up the vegetation on peaty sections to the extent it is dangerous to walk in wetter weather and vulnerable to major erosion.

That's the problem when information on the internet gets out, spots are ruined by too many visitors. It seems the NT's point is the damage caused by parking on verges. The car park opposite is quite small so people park everywhere, cutting up the road verges.

I can see this reducing visitors between 10-4pm but it means people will avoid those times, coming in the evening or during the week. The damage to the bluebells will still be done, at least they won't be as out of pocket.

I can understand them wanting to stop the damage. people just don't respect the reasons for sticking to footpaths, bluebells are fragile plants.
But hey I wouldn't pay I have access to this everyday at work :)

Phone picture from a couple of days ago

13072731_10208474851336445_2128105809928863481_o.jpg

1. You are free to photograph them elsewhere... loads of places.
2. You are free to come before 10 or after 4 when light is a lot better and there are less people around.

Most National Trust properties were donated - I don't expect those giving 'to the Nation' imagined charging for visits.

I suspect many donors probably accepted that as part of the operation - places have to be maintained and major landowners (who donated these places) would be aware of the costs involved. end of the day woodland management necessary to maintain the bluebells costs money , visitor management (including fences, gates, car parks, paths etc) costs more - as the Trust is a charity and receives no direct govt funding (excepting grants), that money has to come from somewhere and membership and/or charging non members for access is something of a no brainer

(cards on the table I work for the Trust, although not at Ashridge , but opinions expressed are my own and should not be taken as being on behalf of the organisation, yadda yadda )

The only thing damaged by trampled bluebells is the view.
The bulbs are safely underground and will be back next year.
I've deliberately tried to remove the bb's in my garden and the buggers just won't quit!
That said, I do wish folk would stick to the paths and trails through woods like these.
Trampling wrecks the scene for all. :(

I suspect many donors probably accepted that as part of the operation - places have to be maintained and major landowners (who donated these places) would be aware of the costs involved. end of the day woodland management necessary to maintain the bluebells costs money , visitor management (including fences, gates, car parks, paths etc) costs more - as the Trust is a charity and receives no direct govt funding (excepting grants), that money has to come from somewhere and membership and/or charging non members for access is something of a no brainer

(cards on the table I work for the Trust, although not at Ashridge , but opinions expressed are my own and should not be taken as being on behalf of the organisation, yadda yadda )

As a NT member whose SO also volunteers for them as a garden guide, I accept that membership and charging for certain access is logical.

Not every house that was gifted had land that could be farmed to generate an income and then costs are I surmise eye watering compared to a normal residence.

In the case of the bluebell woods mentioned, if they are going to be enjoyed in their pristine beauty by as many folk as possible then controlled access is inevitable.

The only thing damaged by trampled bluebells is the view.
The bulbs are safely underground and will be back next year.

thats true for individual trampling - but unfortunately where you get a lot of folk 'desire lining' (that is walking where they want rather than staying on the formal path) it compacts the soil and forms a hard pan which destroys the soil structure leadfing to dust in the summer and mud in the winter and the bulbs don't then spout again .... its also a viscious circle as once a desire line is established people mistake it for a path and thus trampling increases (this is why woodland managers generally surround our coppice sites with dead hedges to stop people starting to walk through them)

A secondary issue with bluebells is idiots digging them up to take home

A secondary issue with bluebells is idiots digging them up to take home

If folks knew how hard it is to get rid of the little blighters, they wouldn't bother!! :D

Back