The New Bridge Cameras - advice please

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I know this has been discussed many times, but I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice on which one to buy.
I own a Canon 40D DSLR with numerous lenses and a Canon S95 Compact. Because I'm not a professional and I don't need to print large size photo's I am finding that 95% of my pictures are being taken either with the 40D and an 18-200mm lens or my S95 compact. The results have been more than adequate for my needs and I have been surprised at the quality. Carrying the S95 in my pocket all the time is no problem, but I miss the reach I get from the DSLR.
I have decided it is time to try one of the new superzoom bridge cameras with a view to selling the 40D and all the lenses, but I would like some input from anybody who has used one.
The options I'm looking at are:-
Canon Powershot SX30
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150K
Fuji Finepix X-S1 EXR

Any input would be useful as to how they actually perform.

I've not used them but the latest canon is the sx50! And the Panasonic is the fz200!

I've used an sx40 a few times as my dad owns one and I borrowed it for the zoo! It's very capable camera! The only thing I struggled with/found frustrating was that the zoom is slow to react and the shutter lag! But I think that's just part and parcel of having one of these cameras! They can't make them too good or no one would upgrade to a DSLR!

For what its worth my dad has owned lots of Canon SLRs and still does, and also owns a fair few L glass lens's and he swears by the canon bridge cameras as a lightweight take anywhere option! he's gone from S1, to S3, to S5, to SX10, to SX20, to SX40, and is now looking at the SX50 as it has a 50x zoom!

Hope that's of some help :)

As an example, this was handheld, on auto, with the SX40 at the zoo (I know I should of been looking at the big animals, but the butterfly in the hedge caught my eye!)

IMG_4596-2 by ozyboyross_40D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for that. What a lovely photo. I know I will find it hard to let go of the DSLR, but these new bridge cameras appear to be producing some wonderful results.

I had a few of the Panasonic FZ range before coming to a dslr. I started with the FZ20 and went through to the FZ50 in the end. If I had to give up using a dslr now I think I'd go for another of the FZ range as the IQ is excellent, the controls are easy to use and there's not much shutter lag with them. I got some good aircraft shots with them but the Macro mode works very effectively too.

I had a few of the Panasonic FZ range before coming to a dslr. I started with the FZ20 and went through to the FZ50 in the end. If I had to give up using a dslr now I think I'd go for another of the FZ range as the IQ is excellent, the controls are easy to use and there's not much shutter lag with them. I got some good aircraft shots with them but the Macro mode works very effectively too.

The previews of the new FZ200 do look good and it is one I will look at closely. A zoom range of 24-600 at f2.8 is amazing and shutter lag seems to have been resolved on these new bridge cameras.
Thanks for your input.

Just bought myself a Fuji HS30EXR and am very impressed. I've reviewed it in the review section and would be happy to e-mail a file straight from the camera or post a print (up to A4 but that'll be folded to fit in a normal letter envelope to reduce postage costs!)

Back